What should the United States do about the Syrian refugee crisis? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:28:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What should the United States do about the Syrian refugee crisis? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What should the United States do about the Syrian refugee crisis?  (Read 1504 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: September 10, 2015, 03:44:23 PM »

Serious proposal: we should accept around 3 million refugees over the next five years, giving preference to persecuted Christians, Kurds, and members of the middle class, and resettle at least 500,000 in Detroit, where there is cheap housing and a large Levantine population. Other economically deprived regions would also be targeted for refugee inflow. They benefit, we benefit.

LOL, no. How the hell would we benefit?!

I would accept a very limited number (with the number that Obama has proposed being tops) with preference given to people who have college degrees.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2015, 03:09:10 PM by DemPGH »

LOL, no. How the hell would we benefit?!

I would accept a very limited number (with the number that Obama has proposed being tops) with preference given to people who have college degrees.

A bit surprised by that coming from you. Could you elaborate. IIRC you are generally pro-immigration.

I'm actually not that passionate about the issue, tbh, but I would probably fall on the more conservative side, actually. But I was reacting more to the OP's suggestion that we drop half a million people on a city like Detroit, which is struggling to say the least. There aren't, for e.g., enough Wal-Marts or gas stations in the region to give a fraction of those people jobs. Three million people dumped on the country is just silly. We may have the space, but I don't see that we can economically sustain that kind of approach, and there may be a security risk. So, people with college degrees, relatives here, able to support themselves should be the criteria.

I am fairly passionate about the fact that I don't think the USA can/should just shoulder the world's problems and crises, though, to include aid, intervention (I don't think we should intervene militarily unless we are directly threatened), refuge, etc. We just have too many mouths to feed here. And we are in a different hemisphere, so I think we should take advantage of that. Inviting people to come here and blow up buildings or hijack airplanes is really the last thing we should be doing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies