correlation between how the white vote is and foreign stock in 1960?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:59:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  correlation between how the white vote is and foreign stock in 1960?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: correlation between how the white vote is and foreign stock in 1960?  (Read 737 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2015, 12:33:13 AM »

Here is the foreign stock numbers from the 1960 census which means someone is either foreign born or has at least one foreign born parent. This means that this includes much of the great wave and there descendants. Obviously it doesn't explain everything but it looks compelling.  Maybe Iowa shifts right and North Dakota shifts left in the future?

Massachusetts 40%
Rhode Island 40%
Connecticut 39%
New York 39%
Hawaii 38%
New Jersey 35%
North Dakota 30%
New Hampshire 29%
Maine 26%
Minnesota 26%
California 25%
Michigan 24%
Illinois 24%
Washington 23%
Wisconsin 23%
Montana 22%
Pennsylvania 22%
Vermont 22%
South Dakota 21%
Arizona 18%
Nebraska 18%
Nevada 18%
Oregon 17%
Utah 16%
Colorado 15%
Florida 15%
Ohio 15%
Wyoming 15%
Alaska 14%
Iowa 14%
Delaware 13%
Idaho 12%
Maryland 12%
Texas 11%
Kansas 9%
Indiana 8%
Missouri 8%
New Mexico 8%
Virginia 5%
West Virginia 5%
Louisiana 4%
Oklahoma 4%
Kentucky 3%
Alabama 2%
Arkansas 2%
Georgia 2%
South Carolina 2%
Tennessee 2%
Mississippi 1%
North Carolina 1%
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »

Given that there was such a divide between white Protestants and Catholics in their voting patterns in 1960, and that in 1960 presumably the correlation between those not born in the US and Catholicism must have been quite high, I am not sure how much is left of the correlation between foreign born and voting for Kennedy after correcting for religious affiliation.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 12:52:21 PM »

Given that there was such a divide between white Protestants and Catholics in their voting patterns in 1960, and that in 1960 presumably the correlation between those not born in the US and Catholicism must have been quite high, I am not sure how much is left of the correlation between foreign born and voting for Kennedy after correcting for religious affiliation.

You do realize i'm talking about how it correlates with how states vote NOW and not in 1960?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:11:23 PM »

You do realize i'm talking about how it correlates with how states vote NOW and not in 1960?

No, I didn't. But that leaves me even more confused as to the significance. Most immigrants prior to 1960 that were alive then were white Catholics.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »

No, I didn't. But that leaves me even more confused as to the significance. Most immigrants prior to 1960 that were alive then were white Catholics.

How about in reverse?  I could make a pretty compelling case that today's Dems = the 1888-1908 Republicans + minorities who weren't yet present/voting in that period.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »

Because, with some exceptions, it looks like a list of the states ranked by who has the most white liberals from most to least. Is it possible voting is genetic and that "old-stock" types are hardwired for conservatism?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »

here is a picture of the 1960s congressional district with foreign stock %. Silver = 1-10%, Dark Red = 11-20%, Red = 21-30%, Orange = 31-40%, Yellow = 41-50%, Green = 51-60%, Light Blue = 61-70%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies