Resolution for Peaceful Coexistence (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:06:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Resolution for Peaceful Coexistence (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Resolution for Peaceful Coexistence (Tabled)  (Read 1002 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »
« edited: September 18, 2015, 09:56:32 AM by Speaker Cris »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Kalwejt
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »

I have one question for Senator Kalwejit, how can you prevent citizens from doing something, may I ask.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »

Given the toxicity that currently pervades relations with South America/Mock Parliament, this seems to me like a good idea. Whether or not we decide to establish diplomatic relations with our southern neighbors, it's clearly in the interest of all involved to keep communications civil.

I have one question for Senator Kalwejit, how can you prevent citizens from doing something, may I ask.

By prosecuting them and, if necessary, revoking their citizenship.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »

Given the toxicity that currently pervades relations with South America/Mock Parliament, this seems to me like a good idea. Whether or not we decide to establish diplomatic relations with our southern neighbors, it's clearly in the interest of all involved to keep communications civil.

Revoking their citizenship beacuse of their views, that's kinda of totalitarian.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »

Revoking their citizenship beacuse of their views, that's kinda of totalitarian.
Correction: revoking their citizenship because they deliberately sabotaged another country's government. If they want to think the South Americans are scumbags, they're free to do so; becoming vigilantes and actively subverting Mock Parliament is another matter.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »

Correction: revoking their citizenship because they deliberately sabotaged another country's government. If they want to think the South Americans are scumbags, they're free to do so; becoming vigilantes and actively subverting Mock Parliament is another matter.
Ok if it was otherwise I think we would have a problem thank you for the correction.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 07:56:19 PM »

I agree with Truman. Whether we'll have official relations with the Mock Parliament or not, we still coextist on the same forum and no side would benefit from a stupid feuding.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »

What kind of punishment are we actually thinking here?  Just wondering?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »

Personally I don't think we should take anything off the table with respect to engaging the other side. They've already proven to be an organically-hostile force toward us.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 01:38:01 AM »

Personally I don't think we should take anything off the table with respect to engaging the other side. They've already proven to be an organically-hostile force toward us.

I agree that this resolution indicates a willingness to eliminate future policy options despite my complete support for coexistence. And again, is punishment being left to interpretation and court procedure?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »

I'd rather not punish people for exercising their own agency with regards to our neighbors.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 06:33:12 PM »

Personally, I'm not sure we want to limit foreign policy options in such a way when the existence of "South America" is not acknowledged within the game reality of Atlasia.

I don't mind a resolution on our resolve to have pacific coexistence because both games fighting each other is a bad idea (and I firmly oppose some of the provocations we have seen for some time now), but as it currently stands it both limits and doesn't address the consecuences (and disgusting as sabotaging a game is, I find it ludicrous from the legal point of view to impose such harsh consecuences for actions which are left to interpretation regarding a nation which we don't currently recognize).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »

Regretfully, I must concur with concerns raised and I withdraw myself as a sponsor.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »

The aggressive actions and behaviour of the isolationist lobby is disappointing to me as someone who's been an - often proud - citizen of Atlasia for the greater part of a decade.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to assume sponsorship.
If not, this resolution will be tabled.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 11:41:45 PM »

I'd definitely not want anyone to try and sabotage South America, but how would we properly enforce this?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »

I'd definitely not want anyone to try and sabotage South America, but how would we properly enforce this?

I think that's a valid point. What we're dealing with here is sufficiently complicated that it would require a whole other bill to hammer out. Supposing such a bill could not be agreed upon, we'd be back to a toothless resolution.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 06:09:02 PM »

So, this has been tabled?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 12:14:52 AM »

Aside from the concern about enforcement difficulties there is also the concern that it is basically an empty pledge not to do something that the other side has at points and may very well continue to do so, with or without this.

If peaceful coexistance is the desired object that that would be best handled through a treaty negotiated by the relevant officials for both parties and then submitted to the Senate for ratification. Of course that resolves the point about reciprocity, but not the enforcement problem.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 06:31:30 AM »

Aside from the concern about enforcement difficulties there is also the concern that it is basically an empty pledge not to do something that the other side has at points and may very well continue to do so, with or without this.

If peaceful coexistance is the desired object that that would be best handled through a treaty negotiated by the relevant officials for both parties and then submitted to the Senate for ratification. Of course that resolves the point about reciprocity, but not the enforcement problem.

Yes, that would require amending the crime bill. Although in the future we may think of something like the RL Logan Act.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »

Yes, it's tabled.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 01:34:05 AM »

Yes, that would require amending the crime bill. Although in the future we may think of something like the RL Logan Act.

"I don't know what that is" - Pakistani President in Charlie Wilson's War.

First thing that came to mind, sorry.

What punishments does the Logan act include, I only have a cursory knowledge of it, thanks to the aforemention movie and desire to find out what it was but never went much beyond that. At most we could do is ban people from voting/office.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies