California state legislature passes automatic voter registration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:17:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California state legislature passes automatic voter registration
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California state legislature passes automatic voter registration  (Read 2086 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2015, 12:28:15 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-california-legislature-live-updates-htmlstory.html?update=84410115

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interestingly, the NJ legislature did the same but Christie is likely to veto: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/09/chris-christie-new-jersey_n_7761708.html
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 12:54:33 AM »

The California legislature has been an extra FF group lately.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:56:51 AM »

Fantastic news. I am every day prouder of living in the great State of California.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 01:45:00 AM »

Welcome to eternally Democratic California.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 02:46:48 AM »

The California legislature has been an extra FF group lately.

Yup, definitely putting other big Democratic states like New York to shame: http://www.timesheraldonline.com/general-news/20150912/california-legislature-right-to-die-climate-change-bills-sent-to-governor

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 02:56:51 AM »

Extra proud,to have lived in this great state.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 04:18:19 AM »

Oh wow, I missed this other relevant bill; it turns out they went after those low-turnout off-year elections too.

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/voters-watchdog-hueso-bill-boost-voter-turnout-goes-governors-desk

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 06:18:54 AM »

People aren't going to KNOW anything more than they did before about these off cycle elections.  So they will either skip those, or just guess.  How is that better?  Is voting randomly really better than not voting at all?  Seems worse to me, but I'd be willing to hear how it's better.

(are these positions partisan?  I suppose that could explain the excitement over this.  Gross, but understandable.)
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 06:28:24 AM »

People aren't going to KNOW anything more than they did before about these off cycle elections.  So they will either skip those, or just guess.  How is that better?  Is voting randomly really better than not voting at all?  Seems worse to me, but I'd be willing to hear how it's better.

(are these positions partisan?  I suppose that could explain the excitement over this.  Gross, but understandable.)

What? this just seems to make most people eligible to vote, wether you vote or not it's still your choice.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 06:30:13 AM »

What? this just seems to make most people eligible to vote, wether you vote or not it's still your choice.

He's talking about the latter thread, of synchronising low turnout local elections to state elections
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »

He's talking about the latter thread, of synchronising low turnout local elections to state elections

My mistake then.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 08:21:20 AM »

The NY political machines don't like high voter turnout. They dislike voters surprising or inconveniencing them. Voters are basically a nuisance. Absentee voting is also intensely disliked. You need to sign an affidavit that you are either bed ridden, or will not be in your home county on voting day, and if on voting day, at any time, you are seen in the county, your vote can be challenged. And that in fact has happened. In Hudson, it has been known for folks to collect the names of those who have received absentee ballots, and then stake out their homes on election day, to see if they are anywhere around. And absentee votes are not counted until days after the election, so to insure that there is plenty of time to challenge those ballots. In Hudson, we have an alderman election that will turn on absentee ballots (these mostly by those claiming there are bed ridden in a nursing home), who alas may not be voting in the right ward, with one of the machines wanting to keep it that way. Fun stuff! Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »

Wow that's really impressive. Well done, CA legislature (and Jerry Brown).
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »

I can't say I really understand the concept of proactive voter registration. If you are an otherwise eligible voter (i.e. an adult of at least 18 years of age), you should be able to vote. Period. Even if everyone is registered, no one is being forced to vote. What is the downside of ensuring that all eligible voters are registered? I can think of none (except from partisans of a particular political persuasion).

I'm very proud of the California Legislature. So much for top-two and independent redistricting resulting in a more moderate legislature. Wink It'd be nice if single-payer and a higher minimum wage would also be passed (the latter will more probably be a Proposition next year).

Wow that's really impressive. Well done, CA legislature (and Jerry Brown).

Governor Brown has yet to act on the bills (except the vaccine law noted above), though I find it very unlikely he'll veto any of them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »

Can single-payer be enacted through a Proposition? I thought it's too complex not to reauire a full legislative process.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »

Can single-payer be enacted through a Proposition? I thought it's too complex not to reauire a full legislative process.

I have no doubt it could placed on the ballot, but the healthcare industry would spend hundreds of millions to defeat it. I don't think it'd stand a chance, unless there were some rich people on the other side to swamp the airwaves and build and help support a grassroots movement.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2015, 03:03:56 PM by Crab »

Been on the ballot before actually:

http://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_186,_Single_Payer_Healthcare_System_(1994)

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up again though, unions seem to be pushing for it as the next big thing; and the legislature tried to come up with it amidst the Arnie years. (It didn't pass)

Incidentally there's some hilariously oddball initiatives being pushed for this year. Some group calling itself "sovereign California" for example, wants to rename the state's Governor as "President of California". I hope that passes! In addition California like every other state has like a million redundant proposed propositions on weed.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 03:12:24 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2015, 03:16:53 PM by Crab »

http://ballotpedia.org/Potential_2016_ballot_measures

Have fun scouting for crazy proposed propositions, if you want.

In answe to your question, somebody has apparently submitted three initiatives surrounding healthcare and is collecting signatures, but I can't see any information on the three so they obviously won't actually be on the ballot.

Unfortunately most propositions that actually reach the ballot in practice in most states are one of these options:

A) weird symbolic crap "recognise the state will NEVER bow to the Canadians"

B) feel-good stuff like "Veterans with only one arm should have ten percent off their Netflix sub!" or otherwise populist guff.

C) u controversial attempts to fix the spelling and grammar of the constitution, that is only on the ballot as a formality.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »

Good news.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »

Is increased vote turnout nmeven a good thing? Generally people who dont vote would be less likely to even be aware of the issues, so why is it good if they do vote?

That said I support this since it makes sense and is just one less thing people have to do, if one couldnt opt out Id oppose it but since the option is there I see no reason to oppose it. Although I think itll have low to no impact on voter turnout. Afterall turnout is far less in non presidential elections but it isnt like there are less registered voters then.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 07:20:44 PM »

http://ballotpedia.org/Potential_2016_ballot_measures

Have fun scouting for crazy proposed propositions, if you want.

In answe to your question, somebody has apparently submitted three initiatives surrounding healthcare and is collecting signatures, but I can't see any information on the three so they obviously won't actually be on the ballot.

Unfortunately most propositions that actually reach the ballot in practice in most states are one of these options:

A) weird symbolic crap "recognise the state will NEVER bow to the Canadians"

B) feel-good stuff like "Veterans with only one arm should have ten percent off their Netflix sub!" or otherwise populist guff.

C) u controversial attempts to fix the spelling and grammar of the constitution, that is only on the ballot as a formality.
This one is probably the best: http://ballotpedia.org/California_%22Intolerant_Jackass%22_Initiative_(2016)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 05:36:29 AM »

Is increased vote turnout nmeven a good thing? Generally people who dont vote would be less likely to even be aware of the issues, so why is it good if they do vote?

Well that's not really the point of a democratic election. Most voters, whatever the turnout are not "wonks" (thank god). They won't be able to give a concise description of the latest tax reform proposals or whatever. But the point of representative democracy is to convert the gut feelings, the raw emotion of a populace into tangible action by the people they chose to elect. Sure most people who don't vote (as well as most people who vote) are not Economics majors or even know much about politics; but they do understand their own lives. They know if taxes are too grinding; and they know if their neighbourhood is poorly organised; and they know if their boss treats them like crap. That is why we should raise turnout - because at the end of the da, no matter how little Vox articles a person has read, they deserve agency.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »

Boo!

Democrats are promoting voter fraud!
- No Republican Here

"[Republican Governor] issues voter ID laws!"

Boo!

Republicans are suppressing the vote!
- Democrats Here

Why would the 18-20 crowd not care about the issues and more about the nobility of the politician, thus voting for the moderate Republicans?

The above is also known as Democratic Questiond.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »

Boo!

Democrats are promoting voter fraud!
- No Republican Here

"[Republican Governor] issues voter ID laws!"

Boo!

Republicans are suppressing the vote!
- Democrats Here

Why would the 18-20 crowd not care about the issues and more about the nobility of the politician, thus voting for the moderate Republicans?

The above is also known as Democratic Questiond.

I'm sorry, I don't keep up with the latest beat poetry. It's pretty good though, I like a bit of free verse.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies