Netanyahu doesn't want to take in more Syrian Refugees
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:26:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Netanyahu doesn't want to take in more Syrian Refugees
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Netanyahu doesn't want to take in more Syrian Refugees  (Read 2049 times)
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 07:50:12 AM »

Why it's almost as if Israel is an ethno-nationalist state...

It's almost as if it was created for the sole purpose of keeping a tiny ethnic group safe from genocidal aggression.

Congratulations, you just admitted that Palestinians are indirect victims of the Holocaust.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:59 AM »

It's almost as if it was created for the sole purpose of keeping a tiny ethnic group safe from genocidal aggression.
This is not why Israel has been created, and by stating that it is, your argumentation becomes vulnerable to the criticism that has been given by the person I have on ignore. Jews being safe from genocidal aggression in Israel is only one of the positive consequences of its creation.

Israel has been created because it's the Jewish people's eternal homeland, and we belong there more than anywhere else in the world. This is the reason we entered the land in the first place, this is the reason that we lived there in ancient times, and this is the reason we returned after being forced to live in exile by consequence of the fact that our previous Israeli state had been destroyed.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »

If Israel won't take them, the Palestinians should. They would gain in international credit for accepting Syrian or Iraqi refugees.

Israel has been blocking PA efforts to accept any of the 480000 Palestinian refugees currently in Syria. Haaretz.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2015, 04:30:48 PM by ag »

If Israel won't take them, the Palestinians should. They would gain in international credit for accepting Syrian or Iraqi refugees.

Israel has been blocking PA efforts to accept any of the 480000 Palestinian refugees currently in Syria. Haaretz.

Israel not taking Syrian refugees, if anything, is something very much expected. The countries are at war. Not even myself, having accused both Israelis and our many "whites" on these boards of all sins imaginable on the refugee issue, would think of making an issue of that.

However, this particular corollary to Israeli position I do find very unfortunate. I very much see where this is coming from: this is, of course, the spectre of the dreaded "right of return" and the "demographic problem between the Jordan and the Sea". Given the general lack of any desire on the part of the Israeli government for a two-state solution, it is hardly unexpected that they would not want to increase Palestinian population in the West Bank.  But being not unexpected it does not make it any less unfortunate.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »

Why it's almost as if Israel is an ethno-nationalist state...

Congratulations, you just admitted that Palestinians are indirect victims of the Holocaust.

Lots of people were "indirect victims" of the Nazis' campaign of extermination. There were a lot of direct victims too, who still needed to survive as the locals in Europe attempted to finish them off one by one in the aftermath of the war.

However, the main culprit in the Palestinians' suffering is the surrounding Arab states, both in their initial genocidal attacks on Israel that led to the expulsions and their deliberate policy of dehumanization and isolation of the refugees.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 05:18:51 PM »

This is not why Israel has been created, and by stating that it is, your argumentation becomes vulnerable to the criticism that has been given by the person I have on ignore. Jews being safe from genocidal aggression in Israel is only one of the positive consequences of its creation.

Israel has been created because it's the Jewish people's eternal homeland, and we belong there more than anywhere else in the world. This is the reason we entered the land in the first place, this is the reason that we lived there in ancient times, and this is the reason we returned after being forced to live in exile by consequence of the fact that our previous Israeli state had been destroyed.

I understand what you're saying, but I feel like this carried less than zero weight when it came to why the world allowed the initial partition. It's certainly a large part of why Jews worldwide support it and fight for it.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »

I won't see too much into it, the demographic boogeyman is the main card from centre-left to right here (hence I was surprised by Herzog's position on this) but I'm fairly certain knowing the Israeli security establishment from the inside that in due time and if situation arises Israel will allow Druze (only) refugees in the Golan Heights; possibly as a initial move to legitimize control there.

On note: as de jure Israel and Syria are still "at war" I doubt you can really analogue between Israel taking in refugees and other countries.
But to give this board some inside look I can confirm that during the initial stages of the conflict Israel was preparing for a flux of refugees and made plans to provide accommodations to around 12K in tent towns on a strip of the border. They just never came.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies