The youth vote in 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:29:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The youth vote in 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How will the 18-29 age demographic vote in 2016? Read the OP before voting.
D: >70%

D: >65%

D: >60%

D: >55%

D: >50%

EVEN

R: >50%

R: >55%

R: >60%

R: >65%

R: >70%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: The youth vote in 2016  (Read 4346 times)
RR1997
United States

« on: September 13, 2015, 07:20:10 AM »

READ THIS BEFORE VOTING ON THE POLL:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Romney overwhelmingly won the votes of 18, 19, and 20 year olds, but it was the 21-29 year olds that voted for Obama heavily, thus skewing the the results of the 18-29 y/o demographic overall.

Those who were 21-29 (back in 2012) years old remembered the wonderful Clinton presidency and the awful Bush presidency, thus they voted for Obama. On the other hand, those who were 18-20 years old were too young to remember the Clinton or Bush presidencies, and they kept on hearing negative stuff about Obama spewed by their parents and the so called "liberal" media, thus they voted Republican.

From that same article, a pollster conducted a poll back in 2012 asking high school and college students whom they're supporting in 2012. College students voted for Obama (he won them by a smaller margin than you would expect him to), but high school students voted for Obama by a MUCH smaller margin in comparison to college students. Obama barely won high school students. Also Johnson and Stein did disproportionately well if that means anything.

Also remember that Obama is very cool and hip, and Hillary is not. Also the so called "liberal" media seems to hate Hillary a lot.

In 2016, we'll get more voters who don't remember the Bush or Clinton presidencies and could vote Republican.

Just for the record, Obama won 60% of the youth vote, while Romney won 37%.

How will the 18-29 demographic vote in 2016?

As long as the candidate is not Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, or any extremist nut job, I believe that the GOP will actually significantly improve with the youth vote.

I voted D: >50%, but I could be wrong (obviously).

Discuss.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:51:58 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2015, 10:55:47 AM by RR1997 »

Romney overwhelmingly won the votes of 18, 19, and 20 year olds

For the billionth time, he did not.

I think the 18-29s may very well vote over 70% Democratic in 2016.
Um yeah he did

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/03/10/democrats-have-a-young-people-problem-too/

You're delusional if you think that the youth vote will vote over 70% Democratic. Obama won 60% of the youth vote in 2012, and Obama was a much better candidate for young voters than Clinton is.

To Bedstuy:
White voters are going to be a much larger percentage of the 18-29 voter group than they are in general, since minority voter turnout tends to be lower than white turnout.

Torie is right. Romney made the bigger gains with white voters than he did with any other demographic, it's just that minority voters masked those gains.

Do you guys really believe that Clinton will do better than Obama with the youth vote?

Ohama was a much better fit for young voters than Clinton is. Obama is cool, hip, and in-touch with the youth. Hillary Clinton is like the Democratic version of Mitt Romney. She's really boring and out-of-touch with today's youth.

Also, African-American voter turnout will decrease significantly because Obama's not running.

The new voters in 2016 were born during the years of 1995,1996,1997, and 1998. They're too young to remember the Clinton and Bush presidencies, and they have negative feelings towards Obama because their parents and the media keep on portraying Obama in a negative away. They will also naturally blame their problems on the current administration, and they don't remember the Bush era, so they're unaware that his presidency was worse.

Youth voters and Hillary don't mix together well (as seen in 2008 primaries). People who think that Hillary will perform better than Obama amongst youth voters are delusion, unless you think that Trump will actually be the nominee.

I can't believe that no one voted D:>55% yet. When making this thread, I expected that option to be the one that would receive the most votes, but so far I'm wrong.

RR1997
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:14:14 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2015, 10:17:10 AM by RR1997 »

Yes he did. Did you even read the article?

To DrScholl: The voters that were between 21-24 years of age voted heavily for Obama (over 70% I believe), but those that were between the ages of 18-20 voted comfortably for Romney (somewhere in the high 50's), so that's why the 18-24 group voted 60% for Obama overall. Why is this so hard to understand?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies