Why does the far-right hate Mexicans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:37:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why does the far-right hate Mexicans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does the far-right hate Mexicans?  (Read 2905 times)
Col. Roosevelt
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:09:44 AM »

I'm not talking about all Conservatives or all Republicans here, but the Tea Party/extreme right...Given the popularity of Trump, whose only known campaign stance is "Mexicans are rapists", it can be easily said that there is a vast anti-Mexican, and perhaps even anti Mexican-American sentiment, if not outright hatred, on the part of the far right/Tea Party. My question is, why? What did Mexicans ever do to them?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:12:59 AM »

we exist
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »

Why do the democrats want to take away guns and nationalize all businesses?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2015, 11:38:18 AM by Comrade Funk »

How did you discover our plans? Thought police, take this patriot away and reeducate him!!!!

Because they speak another language and "take er jobbbbzzz". Kind of like Jews, Russians, Polish, Italians, Chinese, Korean, Indian, and all the others the far-right hated at one point or another.....not to mention the Irish.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toL1tXrLA1c
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »

Because the political right by it's very nature is hostile to change so naturally they will be suspicious of outsiders. I don't think that conservatives are automatically racist or anything but the right-wing worldview does lend itself to that type of thinking. The outgroup may change from generation to generation but there's always some group that's demonized from the Irish in the 1850s to Jews and Italians in the early twentieth century to Asians in the 80s and now Mexicans and Muslims. The fact that we live in a time in which for the vast majority of Americans the standard of living has noticeably declined within even the past decade makes the rush to find scapegoats among conservatives that much more intense.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »

My post was obviously sarcastic. I think very few people hate mexicans for being mexicans or speaking spanish. I think its more the assumption (correct or incorrect) that immigrants are lowering wages and that the border is too permeable. Which are legitimate concerns. Another issue is that the melting pot model has been replaced with the salad bowl. In some ways this is good as we need to recognize the value that immigrants and their cultures can bring but at the same time there is understandable concern that our own culture will be diluted. Some people clearly are just xenophobic but I think you're dumbing down the issue where there are numerous different factors at play and a broad spectrum of opinions.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 12:25:46 PM »

I'm not talking about all Conservatives or all Republicans here, but the Tea Party/extreme right...Given the popularity of Trump, whose only known campaign stance is "Mexicans are rapists", it can be easily said that there is a vast anti-Mexican, and perhaps even anti Mexican-American sentiment, if not outright hatred, on the part of the far right/Tea Party. My question is, why? What did Mexicans ever do to them?

As a summary of what Trump actually said "Mexicans are rapists" is a pretty poor summary. His comments were bad, but he did not actually Mexicans are rapists as a blanket statement.

Mexicans are the outsiders who threaten the status quo and whose presence is seen as something that might ruin everything so they must be keep away.

While Mexicans or any outsider might change things it is a mistake to always assume that the change is bad but it seems lots of people see any change as bad.
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »

As a summary of what Trump actually said Mexicans are rapists" is a pretty poor summary. His comments were bad, but he did not actually Mexicans are rapists as a blanket statement.

Mexicans are the outsiders who threaten the status quo and whose presence is seen as something that might ruin everything so they must be keep away.

While Mexicans or any outsider might change things it is a mistake to always assume that the change is bad but it seems lots of people see any change as bad.
Yes Illegal Mexicans not Legal Mexicans.

True and it was the same when the Italians and Irish immigrated here 100 years ago people freaked.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »

Because they are nationalists?
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »

...and nativists, and racists, and everything ugly about America, and...
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »

Opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants  /= hating Mexicans.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 09:02:23 PM »

I enjoyed participating in the parade and celebration for Mexican Independence Day today (nearest Sunday). I was joined by a number of other local Pubs. Twenty years ago there was a lot more friction, but like any immigrant wave, folks got used to it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »

I know there are Democrats for gun control (which is NOT taking away guns), but what Democrat has called for nationalizing all businesses.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »

There are no real "far-rightists" as I understand the term (as a European) in office.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 07:37:16 AM »

There are no real "far-rightists" as I understand the term (as a European) in office.

Yeah, you'll hear some crazy supporters of some candidates hate Mexicans, but I don't think any candidates do or are "far right"
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »

They are stupid and blame immigrants and globalization for all of their problems.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »

Taking the question seriously, there are a few main reasons.

The first is competition for jobs. The far right sees immigrants (a large percentage of whom come from Mexico) as taking away jobs/ driving down salaries.

The second is cultural. Some see mexicans as a threat to their preferred cultural norms.

There may also be a belief that Mexicans (as well as many other immigrant groups) bring problems to the country, such as a higher rate of crime and welfare dependence.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies