Australia General Discussion 2.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:08:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion 2.0  (Read 92327 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2016, 08:03:30 AM »

Prediction: Turnbull is rolled next year.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2016, 10:58:35 AM by 🦀🎂 »

There's been serious hijinks surrounding Bob Day, a Family First senator until yesterday. It's quite complicated and it involves his housing company, party finance and the possibility he was never legitimately elected in the first place.

My main takeaway: a minor party crossbencher turns out to be crooked? What a shocker!

(Oh yeah we missed a whole lot of Abbott/Turnbull feuding a week or so ago about guns, and the (crooked) crossbencher David Leyonhjelm. Nobody came across very well, least of all Abbott who appears to believe he can swoop back in KRudd style, apparently forgetting that the public quite liked KRudd, even if his party didn't. At the moment neither the parliamentarians nor the public particularly approve of Abbott, so God knows what his game is.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2016, 04:03:11 AM »

There's been serious hijinks surrounding Bob Day, a Family First senator until yesterday. It's quite complicated and it involves his housing company, party finance and the possibility he was never legitimately elected in the first place.

My main takeaway: a minor party crossbencher turns out to be crooked? What a shocker!

(Oh yeah we missed a whole lot of Abbott/Turnbull feuding a week or so ago about guns, and the (crooked) crossbencher David Leyonhjelm. Nobody came across very well, least of all Abbott who appears to believe he can swoop back in KRudd style, apparently forgetting that the public quite liked KRudd, even if his party didn't. At the moment neither the parliamentarians nor the public particularly approve of Abbott, so God knows what his game is.
Abbott or not, the L/NP is heading for a crushing defeat in 2019.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »

"The Coalition will consider a form of carbon pricing for power companies as part of a long-awaited review of Australia's climate policies, Environment and Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg has confirmed."

Kek

Kek
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2017, 05:23:33 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: MIKE BAIRD, L/NP PREMIER OF NEW SOUTH WALES RETIRES NEXT WEEK

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikebairdMP/status/821840888988975104?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Vegemite is set to return to Australian ownership

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-19/bega-buys-vegemite-mondelez/8193268

Vegemite has returned to Australian ownership after a hiatus of foreign ownership.

I thought it was lost forever.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #231 on: January 20, 2017, 02:16:05 AM »

3 DEAD, AT LEAST 25 INJURED AFTER MAN DRIVES THROUGH BOURKE STREET MALL IN MELBOURNE THIS AFTERNOON, RIGHT BLAMES ISLAM, THEY ARE WRONG

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bourke-street-mall-incident-what-we-know-so-far-20170120-gtvg2x.html

The right wing has come out of the woodwork again about the event on Swanston and Bourke streets this afternoon. Even though the man who did this was an Australian of Greek descent, the right keeps spreading this bullsh**t about him being Muslim, was from the Middle East, saying 'Allahu Akbar" etc. How we allow these people to keep spreading their hate and bigotry in 2017 is just disgusting.

My thoughts go out to all of the families affected by this incident, and hope that those who have been injured make a quick recovery.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »

The Coalition is polling at its lowest level since the times of Abbott's removal form the Prime Ministership, with Labor now leading in both the Primary Vote, and the TPP vote. The worrying thing about this poll is the rise of One Nation, who is polling just under the Greens (10 GRN, 9 ON)

FULL POLL: http://www.essentialvision.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Essential-Report_170124.pdf
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2017, 05:34:31 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2017, 05:41:14 PM by Ebowed »

The good news is that if the Coalition keeps trailing Labor, then Turnbull will *have* to be replaced - that is the very metric he set when deposing Abbott.  The bad news is that anyone who would replace him (Abbott in particular) would only continue to embarrass Australia on the global stage while running the economy into the ground and pretending that the future is coal.  Slim pickings among the Coalition, after all.

Not that I mind, particularly - watching Turnbull over the last week (especially, but not limited to, his disastrous interview with Stan Grant), it's better from my perspective for the government to be inept rather than effective, so Turnbull is welcome, by all means, to continue leading the Coalition until they get the defeat they so badly deserve.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2017, 08:13:35 PM »

Cory Bernardi is leaving the Liberal Party.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2017, 09:12:21 PM »

To sit as an independent, to join One Nation, or to start his own political movement?
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2017, 12:29:17 AM by Lok1999 »

To sit as an independent, to join One Nation, or to start his own political movement?
He'll be creating the Conservative party, or, at least, that's what I have been reading.

EDIT: from what I am seeing, the new party will be called the Australian Conservative Party. This is the logo for that party on Bernadi's site

Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2017, 09:34:26 PM »

The good news is that if the Coalition keeps trailing Labor, then Turnbull will *have* to be replaced - that is the very metric he set when deposing Abbott.  The bad news is that anyone who would replace him (Abbott in particular) would only continue to embarrass Australia on the global stage while running the economy into the ground and pretending that the future is coal.  Slim pickings among the Coalition, after all.

Not that I mind, particularly - watching Turnbull over the last week (especially, but not limited to, his disastrous interview with Stan Grant), it's better from my perspective for the government to be inept rather than effective, so Turnbull is welcome, by all means, to continue leading the Coalition until they get the defeat they so badly deserve.
Worse for them, who ever won this year had the displeasure of knowing that they WILL lose in a landslide in the next election, regardless of the party who won, because that is just what happens in our government.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2017, 12:54:47 AM »

He'll be creating the Conservative party, or, at least, that's what I have been reading.

EDIT: from what I am seeing, the new party will be called the Australian Conservative Party. This is the logo for that party on Bernadi's site

Any odds of that working?
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2017, 01:47:56 AM »

Any odds of that working?
I don't think, and hope it doesn't work, because if it did, it would pose an even bigger threat than One Nation does.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #240 on: February 06, 2017, 02:07:42 AM »

I'd hope it does -- it'd be a positive development for a less ridiculous far-right party than One Nation to emerge, both to stifle One Nation and to continue to foster the growth of the third-party vote in Australia, leading hopefully to the eventual collapse of the duopoly.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #241 on: February 06, 2017, 04:10:28 AM »

I tend to think they won't get too far. The most vulnerable part of the LNP is probably the bush area; and I don't see them going for a true-blue party when more populist and protectionist outfits are available (whether they be One Nation, rural independents (like Xenephon) or the single-issue parties).
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #242 on: February 06, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »

I tend to think they won't get too far. The most vulnerable part of the LNP is probably the bush area; and I don't see them going for a true-blue party when more populist and protectionist outfits are available (whether they be One Nation, rural independents (like Xenephon) or the single-issue parties).

I'm inclined to agree. Most conservatives will likely avoid Bernardi; he doesn't really have a good reputation in SA political circles, to put it lightly. Apparently, not even many state Liberals can stand him.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »

Bernardi will go well.

Pauline Hanson is someone who has been tainted with her views on immigrants and religion.

She will get 10-15% of the votes in the upcoming WA state election.

With Donald Trump being elected in the USA, there is a desire in Australia to introduce a Pauline style candidate but with a little more intelligence.

Pauline is a few Mb short of a Gb to pit it nicely.

But even so, very popular now.

It really comes down to what he is proposing.

Let's see his policies. We do have issues with home grown terrorism. We do have issues with massive welfare dependence by refugees. We do have issues with employment where manufacturing has gone to China and Japan.

Australia will go broke as a welfar state unless we turn it around.

If he sells that line, he will get votes.

Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2017, 04:07:48 PM by Lok1999 »

Bernardi will go well.

Pauline Hanson is someone who has been tainted with her views on immigrants and religion.

She will get 10-15% of the votes in the upcoming WA state election.

With Donald Trump being elected in the USA, there is a desire in Australia to introduce a Pauline style candidate but with a little more intelligence.

Pauline is a few Mb short of a Gb to pit it nicely.

But even so, very popular now.

It really comes down to what he is proposing.

Let's see his policies. We do have issues with home grown terrorism. We do have issues with massive welfare dependence by refugees. We do have issues with employment where manufacturing has gone to China and Japan.

Australia will go broke as a welfar state unless we turn it around.

If he sells that line, he will get votes.

One Nation will get 5-8 percent at most in WA. Queensland would be a very different story however, IF they had their election this year, ON I would think they would be getting 5-10 seats, with around 15-18 percent.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quoted for posterity. In regional WA, she will go nuts.

It's amazing in the context that she only chose candidates three weeks ago, and then the election is a month away.

Some of the candidates were of questionable character.

Bernardi will be watching closely. He thinks he can pull off a Trumpy but our politcal system will shut him out.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quoted for posterity. In regional WA, she will go nuts.

It's amazing in the context that she only chose candidates three weeks ago, and then the election is a month away.

Some of the candidates were of questionable character.

Bernardi will be watching closely. He thinks he can pull off a Trumpy but our politcal system will shut him out.

Bernardi's an idiot anyway. He says upfront that climate change is a hoax, that accepting gay marriage will lead to bestiality, and that he will resist any attempts at installing renewable energy sources.

He could just go to the US where his overlord lives.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2017, 05:25:09 PM »

Follow live:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-07/politics-live-february-7/8244290
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: February 06, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »

Ahh, it's fun watching the right wing fall to pieces Cheesy
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #249 on: February 06, 2017, 05:36:15 PM »

His leaving makes me more likely to vote Liberal. Not less.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies