Walker to propose sweeping crackdown on unions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:59:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker to propose sweeping crackdown on unions  (Read 1008 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2015, 01:09:20 PM »
« edited: February 07, 2016, 01:50:00 PM by Simfan34 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I must say, this is a truly visionary proposal that shifts the balance of power towards a dynamic economy, economic growth, infrastructure improval, and away from oligarchic, self-serving, economically-retarding unions. Banning federal union workers, prohibiting unions from making political donations, restructuring the Big Labor-dominated NLRB, and especially stopping unions from bogging down infrastructure projects and massively inflating transit operation costs-- all are things I've dreamt of seeing happen for a while. Protecting whistleblowers is also a fantastic idea.

Obviously I still won't be voting for Scott Walker, but this kind of wide-ranging plan is on exactly the sort of scale we need to be thinking on in order to move our economy forward. Hopefully if a Republican is elected in 2016 (which I doubt), they will take some cues from Walker's proposal. Smash the unions-- once and for all!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:12:57 PM »

prohibiting unions from making political contributions

Unconstitutional. See Citizens United.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:16:09 PM »

Well, his plan won't exactly do that, but it would deprive them of the funds needed.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 01:51:01 PM »

It's unconstitutional to ban workers from forming unions.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »

It's unconstitutional to ban workers from forming unions.

Also true. And I hate unions.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

Rediculous hogwash.

Amazing that even the slightest sliver of worker-centric organization is considered a threat to the domination of capital in this New Gilded Age.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »

Walker opposes unions?? Wow, breaking news; next you'll be telling me trump opposes immigration and lessig supports electoral reform!
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »

I really can't stand this guy.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 03:02:26 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2015, 09:55:17 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

Can this man just drop out move to Brazil for good?

Fixed it for you.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »

Rediculous hogwash.

Amazing that even the slightest sliver of worker-centric organization is considered a threat to the domination of capital in this New Gilded Age.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »

Liberals always forget that, but yes, that is true. Walker can't deny freedom of assembly to unions either.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 04:27:50 PM »

Walker was meant to be a county executive. How he has made it even this far is amazing. I get a serious Spiro Agnew vibe from him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »

Walker was meant to be a county executive. How he has made it even this far is amazing. I get a serious Spiro Agnew vibe from him.

Walker is certainly an example of the Peter Principle.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »

Except he was never competent to begin with.

Has he ever had a job outside of public office?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »

Walker is retreating back to the one thing he knows...unions bad! This is his claim to fame. It is like Huckabee rushing to KY last week to hug the lady going to jail to stop gay people from getting married. The candidates struggling are going to their safe places. Rand needs to do another fake filibuster against some government surveillance program. Christie needs to yell at some teachers. Santorum needs to put on the sweater vest and talk man on dog. etc
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »

How did this idiot get elected governor 3 times...
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 09:57:41 PM »

Perhaps the highlighted quote gives insight as to why Walker has fallen on his face, given the level of support for political outsiders this year.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 10:41:18 PM »

Perhaps the highlighted quote gives insight as to why Walker has fallen on his face, given the level of support for political outsiders this year.

I am not an anti-union conservative, I do believe unions serve a purpose, especially in the private sector. As far as public sector unions are concerned, I think they have become unrealistic in their expectations of how they should be treated - while public sector workers should receive benefits they have been promised, going forward there has to be some changes, public sector workers should be asked to take smaller salary increases and to contribute more to their pension and health benefits, it should be more in line with the private sector. Mind you in the private sector, many have not seen a pay raise in years and companies are cutting back on the amount they pay towards health care and retirement. With that being said, the person who has actually screwed public sector workers more than anyone else is Barack Obama. Under Obamacare, the health care plans enjoyed by many public sector workers are now considered Cadillac plans and therefore subject to a new tax. Additionally, the rise in health costs that Obamacare has failed to control are why state health & benefits funds are in serious trouble and why Republican Governors have to ask for some concessions.

What Governor Walker fails to recognize, if he decides to make this an issue in a presidential campaign, is that this is generally more of a state issue. The teacher's unions who are #1 in screwing over taxpayers AND teachers, engage in collective bargaining at the state level since less than 10% of education funding comes from the federal government. With just 24% or so of Americans belonging to unions, I hardly see how this is going to be a major campaign issue in 2016.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 11:06:36 PM »

The Kochs have an estate in Brazil?
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 11:18:41 PM »

what a fascist toad
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 03:42:26 AM »

Unions are already at their weakest they have been in 70 years, he is beating up an opponent when they are on life support, just like his campaign.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 05:38:13 AM »

I am not an anti-union conservative, I do believe unions serve a purpose, especially in the private sector. As far as public sector unions are concerned, I think they have become unrealistic in their expectations of how they should be treated - while public sector workers should receive benefits they have been promised, going forward there has to be some changes, public sector workers should be asked to take smaller salary increases and to contribute more to their pension and health benefits, it should be more in line with the private sector. Mind you in the private sector, many have not seen a pay raise in years and companies are cutting back on the amount they pay towards health care and retirement. With that being said, the person who has actually screwed public sector workers more than anyone else is Barack Obama. Under Obamacare, the health care plans enjoyed by many public sector workers are now considered Cadillac plans and therefore subject to a new tax. Additionally, the rise in health costs that Obamacare has failed to control are why state health & benefits funds are in serious trouble and why Republican Governors have to ask for some concessions.

What Governor Walker fails to recognize, if he decides to make this an issue in a presidential campaign, is that this is generally more of a state issue. The teacher's unions who are #1 in screwing over taxpayers AND teachers, engage in collective bargaining at the state level since less than 10% of education funding comes from the federal government. With just 24% or so of Americans belonging to unions, I hardly see how this is going to be a major campaign issue in 2016.

I'm a public employee and I haven't received a raise since 2006.

Perhaps you wish for pubic school teachers to be paid at the level of a Christian school teacher of my son's made, who needed to work as a bank teller on the side in a job that required a college degree.  Perhaps you wish public school teachers to make $11/hour, like kindergarten teachers in the school my wife works at makes.  Of course you do; that's more money for the wealthy to create jobs that will, along with another part-time job and 60 hours of work a week at 2 jobs from their spouse, allow folks to move into the bottom of the middle class, maybe.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »

The rest of my fellow teachers and I love sitting the lounge and conspiring how to screw over taxpayers and ruin children's lives.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »

Surprise, surprise...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies