Recognition Procedure Act of 2015 (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:45:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Recognition Procedure Act of 2015 (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Recognition Procedure Act of 2015 (Tabled)  (Read 1962 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »
« edited: September 25, 2015, 04:13:34 PM by Speaker Cris »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Kalwejt
Co-Sponsor: Senator RPryor03

---

I'm supporting this act. I think there should be diplomatic relationship with South America, but an executive order on an important issue like this is not the right way to act. The Senate should have voice in this process.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 04:01:19 PM »

I support this beyond any doubt!!!!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »

As one of the first - possible the first - people to suggest establishing diplomatic relations with South America, I must nevertheless support this bill. Adding a second playable state to the game will fundamentally alter the structure and dynamics of Atlasia, and we should carefully consider this as a result. I'm frankly quite disappointed that the president took this step without consulting the Senate, especially since it was clear that the public leans against recognition.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »

Establishing relations with the Mock Parliament is not just extending recognition toward a non-playable nation, but pretty much changing the way of how the game operates. It cannot be done by a single stroke of one man's pen.

Most of those who oppose the President's unilateral action are open to have a relations with South America. The issue is how to proceed with this. I, for one, fully realize the vacuum problem and either relations with South America or independent Northeast (if they really want this) are good solutions. BUT is should not be done hastily and without laying a workable frameworks. As I've said before, without certain framework and synchronization, the diplomacy will be chaotic waste of time.

If South America really wants to have a fruitful and workable relationship with Atlasia, I'll be the first to vote to confirm such a recognition.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 04:30:42 PM »

Yesterday, after much thought and reflection, I signed an executive order recognising South America in the Mock Parliament board. To those banging on about this being the senate's responsibility I just don't buy that. In the US, as I understand it recognition has always been the president's responsibility not the legislatures, and I see no reason why this should be different.

The reasons for recognition itself are fairly simple. Recognition is the most basic of all relationships states have, from it, all other things follow. To build a playable relationship we must first recognise South America, then we can work out specifics.

Finally, it is a lot easier to untie than to tie. If relationships don't work we can easily end them and pretend they never existed with no real loss, but if we don't try we'll never know.

Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »

This is not the best moment to establish any kind of relations with South America. I support this bill.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »

Establishing relations with the Mock Parliament is not just extending recognition toward a non-playable nation, but pretty much changing the way of how the game operates. It cannot be done by a single stroke of one man's pen.

Most of those who oppose the President's unilateral action are open to have a relations with South America. The issue is how to proceed with this. I, for one, fully realize the vacuum problem and either relations with South America or independent Northeast (if they really want this) are good solutions. BUT is should not be done hastily and without laying a workable frameworks. As I've said before, without certain framework and synchronization, the diplomacy will be chaotic waste of time.

If South America really wants to have a fruitful and workable relationship with Atlasia, I'll be the first to vote to confirm such a recognition.

I basically agree with this. I have lamented the decline of the executive's power, but I just don't think that this is the best way to proceed with recognizing South America's sovereignty. I'll be voting in favor of this bill.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »

This seems pretty blatantly unconstitutional. The power to recognise or not recognise a countries government is the presidents and the presidents alone. The senate does not have every power in this game.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »

This seems pretty blatantly unconstitutional. The power to recognise or not recognise a countries government is the presidents and the presidents alone. The senate does not have every power in this game.

According to the Constitution, the powers held by the president are as follows:

Quote from: Restricted

Nowhere does the Constitution grant the president the right to unilaterally recognize countries. By contrast, the Constitution does require the president to submit treaties and other diplomatic agreements to the Senate.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 04:45:19 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2015, 04:48:00 AM by At-large Senator Kalwejt »

To build a playable relationship we must first recognise South America, then we can work out specifics.

Nonsense. Before the United States did recognize the People's Republic of China, there were unofficial contacts first.

By quick, official recognition, you're taking everything off the table, which is a diplomatic disaster.

According to the Constitution, the powers held by the president are as follows:

Quote from: Restricted

Nowhere does the Constitution grant the president the right to unilaterally recognize countries. By contrast, the Constitution does require the president to submit treaties and other diplomatic agreements to the Senate.

Precisely, there's a hole we're simply fixing in the most proper way.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »

One of the practical problems with recognition of the Mock Parliament is mixing of it's politics with Atlasia politics, as seen there: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=218088.msg4727010#msg4727010
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »

Look, I don't like this executive order, and I don't think recogniztion should come now, but we're basically stripping the Presidency of yet another of its powers and the position itself has been made too weak over the past years.

Being an advocate on executive power, I'm not sure I can support this much as I dislike that executive order.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »

Look, I don't like this executive order, and I don't think recognition should come now, but we're basically stripping the Presidency of yet another of its powers and the position itself has been made too weak over the past years.

Being an advocate on executive power, I'm not sure I can support this much as I dislike that executive order.

I understand, but we're talking about one person unilateraly changing the way our game is working. Such decisions cannot be made with a single stroke of pen.

I am a supporter of strengthening the presidential powers, and if elected to serve at the convention, I will fight for it, but this is a exception from the rule. Beside, as Truman pointed out in another thread, nowhere in the Constitution it is states that the President can do such a thing. We are fixing the black hole.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 05:41:27 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2015, 06:27:49 PM by Senator PiT »

Look, I don't like this executive order, and I don't think recogniztion should come now, but we're basically stripping the Presidency of yet another of its powers and the position itself has been made too weak over the past years.

I tend to agree with your viewpoint, but I think the question is whether this is even a power of the President at all. That is not clear based on the discussion in this thread.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »

If one can establish that this is the power of the President, I would be inclined to oppose the legislation on the grounds that it is unconstitutional.

Whilst depriving the executive of authority should be a concern, I don't see us as having moved one direction or the other, certainly not enough to be concerned about the President being impotent constitutionally. That is not the case, as he can veto legislation, he can command the armed forces and has several express powers granted him under the Constitution. On top of all he has a vast ability and public medium through which to lead and guide the nation either in support of a policy agenda, reform proposal or both. Just because we have not seen this occur in the past few months under the Pax Eborecum (slight modification to the Latin here Tongue I apologize to all the fair sons and daughters of York), doesn't mean they don't exist. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 06:30:12 AM »

If one can establish that this is the power of the President, I would be inclined to oppose the legislation on the grounds that it is unconstitutional.

Whilst depriving the executive of authority should be a concern, I don't see us as having moved one direction or the other, certainly not enough to be concerned about the President being impotent constitutionally. That is not the case, as he can veto legislation, he can command the armed forces and has several express powers granted him under the Constitution. On top of all he has a vast ability and public medium through which to lead and guide the nation either in support of a policy agenda, reform proposal or both. Just because we have not seen this occur in the past few months under the Pax Eborecum (slight modification to the Latin here Tongue I apologize to all the fair sons and daughters of York), doesn't mean they don't exist. Wink

Bore said it's unconstitutional, but Truman quickly pointed out nowhere in the constitution such thing is even mentioned (and Bore, unsurprisingly, provided no response). If anything, there's a black hole that need fixing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 07:00:13 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2015, 08:20:09 AM by Simfan34 »

If Obama could unilaterally establish diplomatic relations with Cuba, I don't see why Bore couldn't do the same with respect to South America.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »

I echo what Simfan is saying. I don't know the ins and outs of the US constitution, but everyone agrees that the president is solely responsible for recognising states, we've seen that with Truman in Israel and with Obama and Cuba, to name two.

Now there are no powers that the US president has that the atlasian president does not, so it logically follows that the atlasian president has the power to unilaterally recognise countries.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »

I echo what Simfan is saying. I don't know the ins and outs of the US constitution, but everyone agrees that the president is solely responsible for recognising states, we've seen that with Truman in Israel and with Obama and Cuba, to name two.

Now there are no powers that the US president has that the atlasian president does not, so it logically follows that the atlasian president has the power to unilaterally recognise countries.

The Atlasian Constitution and other laws differs, sometimes very significantly, from the US laws.

You can't just make up a power that is nowhere to be found in our law because "Truman recognized Israel".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 06:29:59 PM »

The Atlasian Constitution and other laws differs, sometimes very significantly, from the US laws.

You can't just make up a power that is nowhere to be found in our law because "Truman recognized Israel".

I would mention that there was a Supreme Court decision very early in Atlasia's existence that determined all laws passed by the Senate were mere suggestions, because the Constitution did not enumerate powers of the Senate. That the United States and Atlasia function the same is a dangerous rule of thumb for us to be basing policy on.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »

I would mention that there was a Supreme Court decision very early in Atlasia's existence that determined all laws passed by the Senate were mere suggestions, because the Constitution did not enumerate powers of the Senate. That the United States and Atlasia function the same is a dangerous rule of thumb for us to be basing policy on.
Yeah, interpreting Atlasian law based on the Constitution of a country that no longer exists is a rather shaky premise. This would be like making assumptions about the U.S. Constitution based on the Articles of Confederation, or a French president arguing that he holds certain powers because of something Louis XIV did.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 05:46:41 AM »

The most important issue there is not the powers of the Presidency and the Senate, but that no single man shall unilaterally change the way our game is working. Such things must be done with the greatest inclusion possible.

This is also not just about South America. The same principle should apply for setting up another playable country, whether it may be an independent Northeast or a brand new thing.

Therefore, I'd like to propose an amendment:

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 01:40:12 PM »

I support this amendment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2015, 05:53:58 PM »

I agree with this amendment. Recognition of and diplomacy with a playable country has too many long-term ramifications to be undertaken lightly.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies