Facebook to add Dislike Button
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:08:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Facebook to add Dislike Button
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Good idea?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Facebook to add Dislike Button  (Read 2831 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:26:12 PM »

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/15/technology/facebook-dislike-button/index.html

Facebook: The New AAD
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:45:17 PM »

Excellent news. Facebook is the sort of place where a like/dislike system actually makes sense.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:46:38 PM »

Really, really, really, terrible awful insane and downright mean idea.
People on this planet are way too thin skinned for this and it will only cause bad feelings
for this. I have always Hated the "like" button because it is used by people are too stupid
to think for themselves. What are we a bunch of sheep. Dislike will not balance this out
it will make it ten times worse. Hopefully, people will unfriend anyone who is rude enough
to dislike their posts, but are people that smart? I don't know. If you want to dislike a
'friend's' post, you might as well unfriend. Mark Zuckerberg is an egomaniac. That movie back
in 2010 demonstrated that.

I stopped posting on my wall back in June because I got little positive feedback other than those silly "likes". That's why I started posting here so much. I guess I have a problem with netaddiction.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:50:10 PM »

This seems like a bad idea. If you don't like something, just don't "Like" it and move on.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »

Well it would be kind of hypocritical if I voted "No," wouldn't it?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 01:47:51 AM »

Joe Republic likes this.

People on this planet are way too thin skinned for this and it will only cause bad feelings
for this. I have always Hated the "like" button because it is used by people are too stupid
to think for themselves. What are we a bunch of sheep. Dislike will not balance this out
it will make it ten times worse. Hopefully, people will unfriend anyone who is rude enough
to dislike their posts, but are people that smart? I don't know. If you want to dislike a
'friend's' post, you might as well unfriend. Mark Zuckerberg is an egomaniac. That movie back

I stopped posting on my wall back in June because I got little positive feedback other than those silly "likes". That's why I started posting here so much. I guess I have a problem with netaddiction.

I couldn't dislike this post, so I'll just have to say it instead: you're really strange.

People have been asking Facebook for a dislike button for years because people often post statuses about having a bad day, or a friend/relative dying, etc.  Clicking dislike would be a simple way to show that person that despite not commenting anything, you do in fact give a sh**t.  Quite often that's all people need.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:09:54 AM »

Abuse of it will be inevitable. But then the 'Like' button has been abused since its introduction so hey.

I suspect that most of the political and news pages will resemble YouTube comments prior to 2010 or so (or whenever they did away with their 'thumbs down' button).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 05:09:01 AM »

Would perhaps be a good idea for official profiles of institutions etc. and fan profiles and such things, but not so much for the posts of individual users. It basically enables cyber-bullying and mobbing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 05:15:35 AM »

Why are some of you so worked up over this?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 07:38:07 AM »

Joe Republic likes this.

I couldn't dislike this post, so I'll just have to say it instead: you're really strange.

People have been asking Facebook for a dislike button for years because people often post statuses about having a bad day, or a friend/relative dying, etc.  Clicking dislike would be a simple way to show that person that despite not commenting anything, you do in fact give a sh**t.  Quite often that's all people need.
lol, You can't quote the post and say "I dislike your post."? or simply a frown Sad
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 07:40:42 AM »

Sounds much more like an "aww, that sucks, I'm sorry - I don't like that this happened" button than a "I hate you" button.
The latter is basically how it was used at my ever so brief stay at AAD.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »

It would be one thing if I could disable the dislike (and like) function(s) on my wall, but I
doubt that they would let me do that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 09:40:12 AM »

Sounds much more like an "aww, that sucks, I'm sorry - I don't like that this happened" button

Apparently that was the intent, according to the article, but the Facebook CEO recognizes the potential for unintended use.  I agree with tmcusa2.  I think it will create a forum in which people are constantly voting up or down with respect to the post itself.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »

Joe Republic likes this.

People have been asking Facebook for a dislike button for years because people often post statuses about having a bad day, or a friend/relative dying, etc.  Clicking dislike would be a simple way to show that person that despite not commenting anything, you do in fact give a sh**t.  Quite often that's all people need.
lol, You can't quote the post and say "I dislike your post."? or simply a frown Sad

But that wouldn't have adequately conveyed my belief in your utter strangeness.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »

Such applications, whether "like" or "dislike", are inherently horrible ideas.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »

Such applications, whether "like" or "dislike", are inherently horrible ideas.

agreed, but there are degrees of horror, and the latter will inspire more of it.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 03:18:17 PM »

Sounds much more like an "aww, that sucks, I'm sorry - I don't like that this happened" button than a "I hate you" button.

Considering the nature of the Internet, it will probably be used more as an "I hate you" button, TBH.

I think it would be much more appropriate to have a 'Sympathize' button, as considered previously by Facebook.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »

Considering the nature of the Internet, it will probably be used more as an "I hate you" button, TBH.

I think it would be much more appropriate to have a 'Sympathize' button, as considered previously by Facebook.

I know you're too young for the Facebook target demographic and therefore wouldn't understand this, but Facebook users control who can see their posts and pictures.  If you have people who aren't your own trusted friends able to see and thereby 'dislike' your stuff, then you're doing Facebook really wrong.

You guys seem to be really misunderstanding this whole thing.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »

I know you're too young for the Facebook target demographic and therefore wouldn't understand this, but Facebook users control who can see their posts and pictures.  If you have people who aren't your own trusted friends able to see and thereby 'dislike' your stuff, then you're doing Facebook really wrong.

You guys seem to be really misunderstanding this whole thing.

LOL, I forgot about that...

I'm changing my mind, I guess it's probably a good idea after all.

LOL
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 10:10:47 PM »

Yes. I feel awkward clicking 'like' in those cases when I'm trying to show concern. There should be a way to distinguish showing concern about a negative event vs. disliking someone's opinion.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 08:08:18 AM »

I don't think it's a good idea - as it will probably get abused. A "dislike", for me, is something negative - rather than "I don't like something has happened" (which is what it appears to be intended to be).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies