14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:10:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: 14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school  (Read 11572 times)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:41 AM »

Yeah screw him for seeking retribution for being discriminated against and having his rights violated.

The right to bring something that looks like a homemade bomb to school?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2015, 12:33:45 AM »

Sorry fellow liberals, we must admit that we've been had here. New facts have emerged which cast him in a very different light. While racism likely was a factor, he also disrupted class with his briefcase clock and seemed to intentionally be making a false bomb threat. This bit was mis-reported in the media: nobody thought it was actually a bomb. If they really thought it was a bomb, why didn't they call the bomb squad and evacuate the school?

He and his family have high-tailed it to Qatar of all places, yet are still suing the city and the school district for $15 million, depriving other equally deserving students of educational resources. And this is after he's been given free stuff, gotten to visit the White House to meet the President, and been offered dozens of prestigious internships and scholarships. And if you thought things were bad for Muslims in Irving before, wait till they lose another $15 million to Ahmed and his family living it up in Qatar.

And lastly, how do those of you who are still defending him explain this photo (from the BBC, not a right-wing blog):

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2015, 02:35:58 AM »

Ahmed the terrorist taking our schools money and running to Qatar. Typical! Send in a drone
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2015, 03:08:24 AM »

So Richies, is a scum, who dosen't give a f*k about other people's education and money, not like that's never happened before. It is reasonable to look up, if that was a bomb, he shouldn't have been arrested and then this family made it into a publicity stunt, which misled people, and tried to sue the city for absurd amount of money.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »

Ahmed the terrorist taking our schools money and running to Qatar. Typical! Send in a drone
He isn't a terrorist, but he is a liar and a cheat. I'm tempted to say he doesn't deserve a dime of the school district's money, but the fact remains that he was wrongfully questioned without his parents present. He certainly doesn't deserve $15 million though.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »

I hope from here on we begin to view stories like this with a bit more skepticism.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2015, 11:37:07 AM »

He isn't a terrorist, but he is a liar and a cheat. I'm tempted to say he doesn't deserve a dime of the school district's money, but the fact remains that he was wrongfully questioned without his parents present. He certainly doesn't deserve $15 million though.

He incited fear by bringing a hoax bomb to school. He is a terrorist
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2015, 12:30:36 PM »

I find it disturbing that someone wants to send in a drone to kill a 14 year old. With that said, he isn't a terrorist and it's ridiculous to suggest such. These new developments are not an excuse to scream blindly "terrorist" and wish death on anyone. If it was a set-up, the family shouldn't have done that, but at the same time the reaction still shows how backwards some places can be.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »

What is the evidence that he wanted people to think it was a bomb? I haven't heard any.

IF he did want people to think it was a bomb, that's a serious crime and should be dealt with accordingly.

However if that's not the case, he is a victim and is entitled to his First Amendment right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Whether $15m is the correct amount according to Texas law is beyond me, but I have faith that the Courts will get it right.

So how exactly were we all "duped" again?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2015, 06:46:12 PM »

I don't think there's any way to prove this was an intentional bomb hoax.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »

If you bring something that looks like a bomb to school, it's necessary to ascertain whether you meant it to be a bomb hoax.  Even if the school knows it's not a bomb, they still needed to find out if he wanted them to think it was.    

Did they mishandle that process?  Probably, but it's not ridiculous the police would be involved or that they would take it seriously at first.  I don't see how he's entitled to any money or being treated as if he did something impressive or was a victim of racial profiling.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »

I will now accept my accolades.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »

He isn't a saint, but I think we're demonizing him a bit too much now.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »

He isn't a saint, but I think we're demonizing him a bit too much now.
Demonizing him? For Christ's sake, you guys made him a Saint earlier.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2015, 01:47:52 AM »

Again, nobody actually thought it was a bomb. He was playing a prank and disrupted his English class with the clock/bomb thingy. The whole thing got blown way out of proportion because he had to be suspended in accordance with the school district's zero tolerance policy - the teachers and administrators had no say in the matter. The police did violate his rights by questioning him without his parents present, and thus were in the wrong, opening the door to a lawsuit. However, expecting the school district to pay up when he's already received tons of free stuff, internships, awards, and scholarships is a bit much, since things seem to have worked out pretty well for him as a result of this incident. In conclusion, nobody comes out looking particularly good in the end.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2015, 02:26:02 AM »

I find it disturbing that someone wants to send in a drone to kill a 14 year old. With that said, he isn't a terrorist and it's ridiculous to suggest such. These new developments are not an excuse to scream blindly "terrorist" and wish death on anyone. If it was a set-up, the family shouldn't have done that, but at the same time the reaction still shows how backwards some places can be.

Here's the thing: You knew that was a joke, but deliberately chose to pretend you didn't. Care to explain why? Why did you feign outrage when you knew full well it was nonsense?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2015, 07:53:23 AM »

Again, nobody actually thought it was a bomb. He was playing a prank and disrupted his English class with the clock/bomb thingy. The whole thing got blown way out of proportion because he had to be suspended in accordance with the school district's zero tolerance policy - the teachers and administrators had no say in the matter. The police did violate his rights by questioning him without his parents present, and thus were in the wrong, opening the door to a lawsuit. However, expecting the school district to pay up when he's already received tons of free stuff, internships, awards, and scholarships is a bit much, since things seem to have worked out pretty well for him as a result of this incident. In conclusion, nobody comes out looking particularly good in the end.

Again, where is the source that it was an intentional bomb hoax/prank?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2015, 09:14:25 AM »

I don't know of any and it would be impossible to prove without somebody coming clean, but it certainly makes more sense than the original story.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2015, 07:07:24 PM »

Again, where is the source that it was an intentional bomb hoax/prank?

Well, he kind of knew that it looked somewhat suspicious.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a36_1442771672&comments=1

strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that he met with Omar al-Bashir? He isn't some run-of-the-mill 3rd World dictator. He's been indicted by the ICC for his role in the Darfur Genocide. He's a bloody tyrant on par with Kim Jong-Un, Bashar Assad, and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. If a Korean-American kid had suffered some sort of discrimination, do you think anyone in America but the fringiest True Leftists would condone him flying to Pyongyang for a photo-op with Kim Jong-Un? Or what if Ahmed were Shia rather than Sunni? What would be the reaction if he had flown to Tehran to meet with the Supreme Leader after Liberal America, Corporate America, and Academic America had all come together to stand up for him?
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2015, 02:21:52 AM »

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that he met with Omar al-Bashir? He isn't some run-of-the-mill 3rd World dictator. He's been indicted by the ICC for his role in the Darfur Genocide. He's a bloody tyrant on par with Kim Jong-Un, Bashar Assad, and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. If a Korean-American kid had suffered some sort of discrimination, do you think anyone in America but the fringiest True Leftists would condone him flying to Pyongyang for a photo-op with Kim Jong-Un? Or what if Ahmed were Shia rather than Sunni? What would be the reaction if he had flown to Tehran to meet with the Supreme Leader after Liberal America, Corporate America, and Academic America had all come together to stand up for him?

Issues like that are ignored when the goal is not the truth but to make Texas and Republicans sound Islamophobic, racist, and so on. All logic and concern goes out the window when one is smearing their ideological opponents as a narrative.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2015, 05:07:32 AM »

This thread has become a cesspool.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »

This thread has become a cesspool.
Story didn't quite turn out like you expected did it?  Damn facts.  Hey, at least you meant well.  Maybe the next victim will stay a victim.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2015, 11:04:12 AM »

Here's the thing: You knew that was a joke, but deliberately chose to pretend you didn't. Care to explain why? Why did you feign outrage when you knew full well it was nonsense?

The left does this all the time so they can feel good about themselves. If there's not a victim - even of jokes - they have no one to defend and shield from the evil groups they despise. I'm sick of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies