14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:10:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: 14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school  (Read 11573 times)
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2015, 05:10:40 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34266389

Would this have happened if his name was Cody or Tyler?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 05:19:35 AM »

I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be, but it was kind of funking stupid for him to bring a clock that looks oddly bomb like to school on Sep 11th.  Being a Muslim makes it an even worse idea.
Iosif

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 05:32:49 AM »

I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be, but it was kind of funking stupid for him to bring a clock that looks oddly bomb like to school on Sep 11th.  Being a Muslim makes it an even worse idea.

That's exactly the kind of mentality we want instilled in 14 year old boys. I shouldn't do what a 'normal' boy can do because I'm a Muslim.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:42:36 AM »

So, Muslims have a special responsibility to look and act "unsuspicious"?

Does this kind of special responbility also apply to blacks when it comes to dealing with police officers?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:49:01 AM »

That's exactly the kind of mentality we want instilled in 14 year old boys. I shouldn't do what a 'normal' boy can do because I'm a Muslim.

Does this kind of special responbility also apply to blacks when it comes to dealing with police officers?
You guys can read English correct?
Iosif

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 05:54:28 AM »

The explanation the police gave on why they arrested him was astonishing.

Ahmed never claimed his device was anything but a clock, said police spokesman James McLellan. And police have no reason to think it was dangerous. But officers still didn’t believe Ahmed was giving them the whole story.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They knew it was clock but arrested him anyway.

A nerdy kid wanted to show what he built to his school teacher, probably using skills he learnt in class. Instead of encouraging him, which is what a good teacher and  good school would do, they called the police and had him hauled off to custody.

This absolutely would not have happened if he was white and had a typical white name. The school and police have essentially told a boy he needs to act differently than his peers because of who he is. This is exactly what disfranchises young Muslim boys and girls in the west. 

The school and police handled this horrifically.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 06:00:13 AM »

Schools and police handle sh**t poorly all the time.  Sometimes there isn't even a Muslim involved.
Iosif

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 06:00:59 AM »

I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be, but it was kind of funking stupid for him to bring a clock that looks oddly bomb like to school on Sep 11th.  Being a Muslim makes it an even worse idea.

I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be, but it was kind of funking stupid for him to bring a clock that looks oddly bomb like to school on Sep 11th.  Being a Muslim makes it an even worse idea.

You guys can read English correct?

Can you?

You called a a 14 year old child "ing stupid" for bringing a clock he made to school because he was Muslim and it was September 11th. Even though this happened on Monday, not September 11th.

Would it have been less stupid if he was not Muslim?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 06:15:59 AM »

Slightly less stupid, but still stupid.  Nobody should bring things that could be mistaken for a bomb to school.  Which is why the "cool" teacher told him to make sure no other teachers saw it.  Like I tell my white boys and half white girls, "it's ok to do crap that's against the rules (assuming the rules are stupid), just don't get caught...if you get caught, don't be a bitch.  Take your lumps, move on, don't get caught next time."  If that thing you made that is against the rules can beep, you better make damn sure it doesn't beep in math class, you now how that bitch Miss Patterson has it out for you.

My mistake on the Sep 11th part.  Dad mentioned it, so I assumed......my mistake.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 06:21:57 AM »

I know of many people who bring in clocks to put in their lockers, this is just absurd.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 06:24:02 AM »

13 year old boy suspended for playing "hangman" (a word game a long the lines of Wheel of Fortune that kids have played forever)

6 different stories of students suspended for obviously fake guns

very white 12 year old girl suspended for not tucking in shirt

teen suspended for pink hair (to support breast cancer), teen suspended for growing hair too long (to support his sister with cancer), I could go on for hours I'm sure, but I'm hoping you get the point.  Like I said in my first words in my first post in this thread
I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be,
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 06:27:35 AM »

I know of many people who bring in clocks to put in their lockers, this is just absurd.
It was a home made clock.  Hidden in a back pack.  That beeped in the middle of class.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 07:27:16 AM »

Poor judgement on the kids' part compounded by stupid zero tolerance policies on the school's part. They were right to investigate, but once it was clear what it was the school should have left it there.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »

The fascism continues.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 08:26:31 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2015, 10:03:02 AM by Cryptic »

Schools and police handle sh**t poorly all the time.  Sometimes there isn't even a Muslim involved.

No one's saying they don't handle sh**t poorly all the time with non-Muslims too. But in this particular instance, the fact he was Muslim was clearly one of the main factors in their decision and it deserves to be commented on.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 08:58:35 AM »

In times like these, I'm proud to be a member of the ACLU. The lawsuit over this won't be pretty...
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »

Only this forum would have idiots demeaning a 14 year old for doing something intellectual. News flash: He was barely alive for 9/11. There is no way he could comprehend this as a poor action even if it were such. The school administrations just keep getting worse and worse. Disgusting.

Supposedly the hoax bomb charges are still possible. Unbelievable.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »

Just another case of statism. Someone has something that vaguely might be a bomb? Call the freaking POLICE and have this 14-YEAR OLD FREAKING ARRESTED?!?!?

Have a problem? Solve it with government force. That's the way everyone thinks these days, and it's freaking stupid.

13 year old boy suspended for playing "hangman" (a word game a long the lines of Wheel of Fortune that kids have played forever)

6 different stories of students suspended for obviously fake guns

very white 12 year old girl suspended for not tucking in shirt

teen suspended for pink hair (to support breast cancer), teen suspended for growing hair too long (to support his sister with cancer), I could go on for hours I'm sure, but I'm hoping you get the point.  Like I said in my first words in my first post in this thread
I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be,

Those are all ridiculously idiotic things as well. I know that you agree that he shouldn't have been punished for this, but calling him stupid is just victim-blaming, which solves nothing.

This is not his fault, now matter how Arabic his name sounds or what day it is. It's the fault for the idiotic people in charge assuming it's something bad and calling big brother to put a child in jail over it.

HOLY SH!!T THEY PUT A FREAKING 14-YEAR-OLD IN FREAKING JAIL BECAUSE HE MADE A FREAKING CLOCK!!!!

This is why I'm a libertarian, and also why I don't get invited to parties (because I respond to these types of things in over-the-top rants). A government that acts like this is not one I want to take orders from, not one I want to pay taxes to, not one I want to die in Iraq for--it's not a government I want to live under.

Sigh. NFL season just started up, the Premier League season is still in it's infancy, and MLS is coming down the final stretch. Star Wars VII is coming up in only a few months. More bread, more circuses, and hope this crap doesn't happen to me.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a clock is a good guy with a clock.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »

I think people are taking my comments in a way I did not intend.  He shouldn't have been kicked out of school, arrested or suspended, I'm glad the ACLU is looking into it and hope every thing turns out well for the little MacGyver(sic?).  It's still not a smart thing to bring anything that could be confused with a bomb to a public school in America in 2015.  No matter your skin color or religion (assumed religion even), but some of those just make it more likely for idiots to act stupid, as in this case.  People freak out over the stupidest things.  It's generally a good idea to not frighten (the) sheep.  They startle easy, and then all dart off in the same, but random direction.  It can be dangerous.

I was wrong to say "funking stupid", ignorant would have been a better word.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 11:36:03 AM »

Found this on Twitter:

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »

This. Not everything is about race.
Iosif

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »

Issue about race is not about race because other, unrelated issues are not about race.

That's some impressive logical gymnastics you're doing there in trying to dismiss this story.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 01:45:06 PM »

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a clock is a good guy with a clock. glock

If someone exercising the right of open-carry had "overreacted"...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies