14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:48:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: 14 year old boy arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school  (Read 11577 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 01:45:13 PM »

The kid has now been invited to the White House, Facebook headquarters, and “the NASA center of his choice”:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/09/15/student-detained-police-mistake-clock-fake-bomb/72348060/
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »

Thoroughly disgusting. I hope the boy's family sues and brings the school to its knees.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »

Thoroughly disgusting. I hope the boy's family sues and brings the school to its knees.

This, especially if it's true that the kid has been suspended. Even if one were to excuse the overreaction of the administrators and the police, any actual punishment is utterly inexcusable unless the school handbook literally has a standing rule against clocks.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 12:01:28 AM »

It's absurd that they acknowledged that the clock WAS a clock, and still arrested and suspended the kid. They knew full well what it was, and they still arrested and distrusted him. That's my main problem with this whole mess. The beeping in the backpack? Yeah, somewhat suspicious. But once it was established what it was and what it was not, nobody should have arrested the kid.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 12:39:45 AM »

People eventually need to realize that this is more than just racism or discrimination, its also zero tolerance policies that are making our schools go to sh**t and punishing actions that are inconceivable to punish because we have fear so built up that it makes our judgments irrational. Hopefully justice is served.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 01:27:28 AM »

13 year old boy suspended for playing "hangman" (a word game a long the lines of Wheel of Fortune that kids have played forever)

6 different stories of students suspended for obviously fake guns

very white 12 year old girl suspended for not tucking in shirt

teen suspended for pink hair (to support breast cancer), teen suspended for growing hair too long (to support his sister with cancer), I could go on for hours I'm sure, but I'm hoping you get the point.  Like I said in my first words in my first post in this thread
I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be,

Was any of these kids arrested?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 02:56:55 AM »

13 year old boy suspended for playing "hangman" (a word game a long the lines of Wheel of Fortune that kids have played forever)

teen suspended for pink hair (to support breast cancer), teen suspended for growing hair too long (to support his sister with cancer), I could go on for hours I'm sure, but I'm hoping you get the point.  Like I said in my first words in my first post in this thread
I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be,

Was any of these kids arrested?

GDit, you beat me to it. The answer is "no".

This. Not everything is about race.

See above.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 03:04:21 AM »

White kid brings a clock to school: Nothing happens
Brown kid brings a block to school: Gets to meet the president.

White privilege?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 03:13:09 AM »

Only this forum would have idiots demeaning a 14 year old for doing something intellectual. News flash: He was barely alive for 9/11. There is no way he could comprehend this as a poor action even if it were such. The school administrations just keep getting worse and worse. Disgusting.

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 04:37:10 AM »

White privilege?
I seriously hope this is a joke.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »

People eventually need to realize that this is more than just racism or discrimination, its also zero tolerance policies that are making our schools go to sh**t and punishing actions that are inconceivable to punish because we have fear so built up that it makes our judgments irrational. Hopefully justice is served.

This. The root of the problem has been ongoing since Columbine and is compounded by racism in some areas.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 10:06:49 AM »

White privilege?

poe's law in action
http://facts-i-just-made-up.tumblr.com/post/129238012788/fox-news-on-muslim-privilege
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »

I'm not saying he should have been arrested or suspended, he clearly shouldn't be, but it was kind of funking stupid for him to bring a clock that looks oddly bomb like to school on Sep 11th.  Being a Muslim makes it an even worse idea.

You read this back before you clicked "post", right?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 01:19:21 AM »

The issue is lack of oversight. Make a law about automatic firing of school directors and forced federl takeover of the school district in any case like that.

Schools and school districts will start behaving, like if magic was used.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 01:52:22 AM »

The issue is lack of oversight. Make a law about automatic firing of school directors and forced federl takeover of the school district in any case like that.

Schools and school districts will start behaving, like if magic was used.
yeah.. we've scared them into calling the cops so easily.  Put pressure on them from both sides... but then.. who will want the job anymore?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 05:36:05 AM »

Seems to me, getting arrested is the best thing that's ever happened to this kid.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 11:42:13 AM »

Seems to me, getting arrested is the best thing that's ever happened to this kid.

Well, now it is. If he had been arrested and the media not covered it, it probably wouldn't have ended so well...
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »

Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2015, 05:41:33 PM »

OK, so he takes apart a clock, reassembles it in a case (what kind of f'ing clock is that anyway?) and...I'm supposed to be impressed? Moreover some other teacher already told him to not bring it to school due to it looking rather suspicious.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2015, 05:44:17 PM »

OK, so he takes apart a clock, reassembles it in a case (what kind of f'ing clock is that anyway?) and...I'm supposed to be impressed? Moreover some other teacher already told him to not bring it to school due to it looking rather suspicious.
Yeah, this is pretty much my thought. I don't care about this story one way or the other.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2015, 12:20:09 PM »

They shouldn't have arrested him if they didn't actually think it was a bomb, but to be fair, that clock looks a lot like a bomb.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »

Guys, this isn't about the kid, the clock or the bomb. It's the fact that Muslims face an absolutely awful situation in America where they're attacked, scapegoated and ridiculed by idiots who don't even understand what's going on. You've got Presidential candidates saying that Muslims can't be Presidents, you've had this insane nudge nudge that Obama must be a Muslim and thus unfit for office 
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2015, 03:13:01 PM »

Yeah he's precocious, but is that a crime?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2015, 10:16:37 PM »

Yeah he's precocious, but is that a crime?

If you walk into a bank wearing a ski mask...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies