Latest Charlie Hebdo Cartoon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Latest Charlie Hebdo Cartoon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latest Charlie Hebdo Cartoon  (Read 1203 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »

Please, tell me, who or what is this supposed to be satirizing, because I clearly don't get it, even after reading the full article in Reuters and Haaretz
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »

The right one satirizes the wealth of Europe (and western corporations) doing not enough about the crisis.

The left one is their usual anti-Christian spin.
Hydera

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »

The right one satirizes the wealth of Europe (and western corporations) doing not enough about the crisis.

The left one is their usual anti-Christian spin.

Should of made one satirizing the wealth of the oil rich gulf arabs not taking in all their syrian brothers.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »

Now perhaps it's just that I can't speak French but Charlie Hebdo always came across as a bunch of aware but essentially smarmy teenagers sneering at world affairs, and not very funny.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »

That's Charlie Hebdo's style. You may like it or not, but it's rather clear what their standpoint is.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »

I would assume the cartoon is pro-refugee/pro-immigration, as that's been Charlie Hebdo's stance for the last few years.

Just because it shows a dead baby doesn't mean it's pro-dead baby. It'd be like saying an anti-Hitler cartoon is pro-Hitler because it has a picture of Hitler in it.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 11:06:12 PM »

Even after reading your replies ... OK, I sort of see the point to the first cartoon after the explanations -- large sections of the (at least eastern and British) European public actually believe that to be the case -- even if I don't accept that this public would ever much be swayed by 'satire'.

The second is still a pure non-sequitur. Baffling, really.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »

Even after reading your replies ... OK, I sort of see the point to the first cartoon after the explanations -- large sections of the (at least eastern and British) European public actually believe that to be the case -- even if I don't accept that this public would ever much be swayed by 'satire'.

I'd say it's taking the (moronic) idea that refugees come to Europe because they feel entitled to the West's level of material comfort by showing that the dead kid's goal was to get a McDonald's Happy Meal (instead of, you know, not dying from war/starvation).
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 12:20:35 AM »

I'd say it's taking the (moronic) idea that refugees come to Europe because they feel entitled to the West's level of material comfort by showing that the dead kid's goal was to get a McDonald's Happy Meal (instead of, you know, not dying from war/starvation).

I really doubt this. As I said, Charlie Hebdo is pretty consistently in favor of unrestricted immigration.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 12:52:32 AM »

I really doubt this. As I said, Charlie Hebdo is pretty consistently in favor of unrestricted immigration.

That's the point. It's called irony.

FTR, I am a subscriber to Charlie Hebdo.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »

Charlie Hedbo remains annoying, I see. Too bad people will keep puffing them up because they provoked the bear that attacked them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »

Charlie Hedbo remains annoying, I see. Too bad people will keep puffing them up because they provoked the bear that attacked them.

Oh, so you're still a dick. It's nice to see some things never change in this chaotic world.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2015, 08:48:12 PM by DavidB. »

I have always considered Charlie Hebdo's cartoons tasteless and disrespectful, and some of them were outright offensive. That doesn't matter. The point is that they have the absolute right to draw taseless, disrespectful, and offensive cartoons and they should feel entirely safe doing so.

Are you for real? I hope you're not. If so, you've understood absolutely nothing of freedom.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 12:20:07 AM »

I have always considered Charlie Hebdo's cartoons tasteless and disrespectful, and some of them were outright offensive. That doesn't matter. The point is that they have the absolute right to draw taseless, disrespectful, and offensive cartoons and they should feel entirely safe doing so.

Are you for real? I hope you're not. If so, you've understood absolutely nothing of freedom.
They can say what they want, and they have a right not to be killed. But I have the freedom not to like their content and not to care what happens to them.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 12:21:28 AM »

Oh, so you're still a dick. It's nice to see some things never change in this chaotic world.
Don't you have some weird unity march with Hollande and Merkel to be marching in? Or are you going to sit in California and bitch about Obama not wasting his time with it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 12:41:54 AM »

They can say what they want, and they have a right not to be killed. But I have the freedom not to like their content and not to care what happens to them.

Normal human beings don't need to agree with a person in order to care when said person gets brutally murdered. There's a little thing you might have heard about, it's called empathy.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »

I know you likely don't mean it this way, but that a pretty horrible racist attack on Muslims, you more or less say that Muslims are completely controlled by their id, you take away their responsibility for their attack by fundamental saying that they're animalistic automatons. Yes I know it's not meant that way, but it's how it comes across.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies