Are Communist rebels freedom fighters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:09:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are Communist rebels freedom fighters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are Communist rebels freedom fighters?
in all circumstances

in most circumstances

in some circumstances

in no circumstances

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Are Communist rebels freedom fighters?  (Read 3690 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2005, 10:10:13 PM »

I vote in some circumstances.

The Sandinistas, URNG and FMLN were freedom fighters.

The Khmer Rouge were not.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 10:29:38 PM »

Never
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 10:51:32 PM »

Sometimes they're freedom fighters, in that they genuinely are fighting for freedom, but I consider pretty well all of them misguided in their end goals.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 11:43:05 PM »

Well, sometimes I suppose they are. They fight for what they view as freedom - however if they succeed the likely result will be tyranny and oppression. Of course, some in their ranks realize this and hope to be the tyrant.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 11:53:29 PM »

Well, sometimes I suppose they are. They fight for what they view as freedom - however if they succeed the likely result will be tyranny and oppression. Of course, some in their ranks realize this and hope to be the tyrant.

kind of an exercise in futility.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 05:24:35 AM »

No.  Even if they are duped into thinking they're fighting for freedom, the government they help install will always kill freedom at the first chance.  And if the rebels take the freedom talk too seriously, they'll end up in a concentration camp, or worse.

Only a complete dupe would ever support communists.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 05:36:24 AM »

No.  Even if they are duped into thinking they're fighting for freedom, the government they help install will always kill freedom at the first chance.  And if the rebels take the freedom talk too seriously, they'll end up in a concentration camp, or worse.

If you lived in Nazi Germany would you support the communist rebels? I would, and then after the war ends I take some friends and family members and move west before the Berlin Wall is built.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 07:39:20 AM »

Practially... No
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:14:53 AM »

so if you lived in Croatia during WWII would you support the Nazi puppet Ustase regime or the communist rebels?

And if you were a Mayan peasant in Guatemala during the 70's/80's would you support the communist rebels or the military regime that was slaughtering your people?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 12:47:39 PM »

so if you lived in Croatia during WWII would you support the Nazi puppet Ustase regime or the communist rebels?

And if you were a Mayan peasant in Guatemala during the 70's/80's would you support the communist rebels or the military regime that was slaughtering your people?

One question I've had: why does it always have to be a communist rebellion?  Why can't the people just say, "okay, I want to kill these jerks in power now and I'll figure out the new form of government later"?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 12:49:01 PM »

Yes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 12:49:58 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2005, 12:51:49 PM by Born on the Floor »

One question I've had: why does it always have to be a communist rebellion?  Why can't the people just say, "okay, I want to kill these jerks in power now and I'll figure out the new form of government later"?

Because the commies are the only ones giving the resistance often.

It's like the Phillipines. Once Marcos was in power, the membership of the communist New People's Army skyrocketed. Once Marcos was removed, the membership greatly dwindled. People joined the NPA to protect themselves from Marcos. Who wouldn't? I'd take the commies over Marcos any day. Of course Marcos was overthrown by non-communists, but that wasn't an option for the previous 20 years really. Actually what happened in the Phillipines is pretty similar to what you described (Portugal and Greece too). But if I lived in any of those countries, I would've supported the communists over the regime, no question. I would never support such a regime, unlike dazzleman, who would've supported Marcos and the military regime in Greece.
Cashcow

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 02:40:39 PM »

They're fighting for change - not freedom.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 06:02:12 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2005, 06:04:42 PM by Lunar »

Why are you forced to support one or the other?

Anyway, I think you might find this Marxist critique of the overthrow of Marcos to be interesting:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
went that way
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 04:33:33 PM »

Matters their the Stalinist, Anti - Revisionists, Maoists who aren't fighting for freedom.  The Leninists, Left Communist, and Trotskyist who kind of are kind of not.  The Anarcho - Communists are the olny real "Freedom fighters".  But you could call any rebel a freedom fighter.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 05:12:42 PM »

No circumstances
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies