Indiana Township Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:33:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Indiana Township Maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Indiana Township Maps  (Read 5052 times)
CountyTy90
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:06:24 PM »
« edited: September 17, 2015, 08:10:58 PM by CountyTy90 »

So I got bored... for like a week straight and I decided to draw a map of Indiana townships in Paint 'cause that's what normal people do when they're bored right? Anyways, I hand drew all the townships in Paint via maps from Wikipedia and decided to make some different maps with them. I've got a bunch, but this is the first one I made.

This is a map using data from DRA of township level presidential results in the 2008 election. Obama narrowly won and you can see his success is clearly in Northwest Indiana and Marion and Monroe counties, but he did well in most of the medium sized cities, pretty much winning them all. Interesting to see Northeast Indiana though and just how Republican it is, same for the Cincy burbs/exurbs.

And if you want more... don't worry... I'm just getting started!

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:13:10 PM »

Thanks - this is actually the first time I've seen an Indiana township map like that. Great!
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »

Thanks! It took forever to do.

I really want to do a 2012 Presidential/Gubernatorial map to see the swing in president from '08 to '12 and see the township breakdown in Pence v Gregg, but most of the small counties don't have the data on their website and tracking down 90some county results would be a massive undertaking.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »

It really makes Perry County stand out.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »

I know. I wonder what Perry County's deal is? It seems that it's traditionally Democratic, but is it also a liberal place? Or just hasn't quite kicked the traditional voting patterns yet?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 10:16:50 PM »

This is sick. Good work Ty!
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:25:53 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2015, 10:33:56 PM by CountyTy90 »

Now two population maps.

The first is the total population by township. It's really cool 'cause you can clearly see in most counties where the county seat is. It's also interesting to see that one of the most rural parts of Indiana is actually around Lafayette; outside the city there's not much. In fact, there's a township in Tippecanoe County with less than 500 people.

The next map is either boring or super interesting... you be the judge. This is demographics by township, blue is white non-Hispanic and red is black; data from DRA. Only Calumet Township (Gary) in Lake County is a black majority township. Ross Township (Merrillville), also in Lake County, has a growing black population and is now only plurality white. Pike Township in Marion County is plurality black and probably by 2020 will be majority. Clearly though the rest of the entire state is mostly 90%+ white, rural townships, though, I was surprised to see that most townships that held the biggest city/town in the county was just under 90% and has a growing Hispanic population. Also what I found interesting is that Bloomington (home of Indiana University) is only slightly under 90% white. For this being a college town that is fast growing, I was surprised that it wasn't more diverse.

CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »

Haha, thanks!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:34:41 PM »

those colours though... Sad
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:44:36 PM »

I know. I wonder what Perry County's deal is? It seems that it's traditionally Democratic, but is it also a liberal place? Or just hasn't quite kicked the traditional voting patterns yet?

Isn't Perry County basically just a big national forest for the most part?    It might have evolved into a hippy organic liberal area maybe.    I don't really know though.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »

CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:48:33 AM »

I usually make the maps for my eyes only, so I do the opposite colors and then I always end up posting them, sorry!
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »

Isn't Perry County basically just a big national forest for the most part?    It might have evolved into a hippy organic liberal area maybe.    I don't really know though.

Yeah I think most of the county is covered by the Hoosier National Forest and is very rural and most of the county lives in the county seat of Tell City and Perry Township. I too was thinking that it may be an artist colony... not sure though.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 08:36:57 AM »

There was a big thread about Perry County with a detailed history of its voting patterns within the last few years.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 08:59:57 AM »

I thought it was because Perry County had very weak penetration by talk radio and cable TV.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »

So then I decided to map Indiana's congressional districts through the years by township, starting in 1950. The first one is kinda boring 'cause no counties or townships are broken, but here it is.

1953-1963 Congressional Districts

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »

I really want to do a 2012 Presidential/Gubernatorial map to see the swing in president from '08 to '12 and see the township breakdown in Pence v Gregg, but most of the small counties don't have the data on their website and tracking down 90some county results would be a massive undertaking.

I tried it, but gave up after finding data for about 35 counties.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »

Here is congressional districts in the 1960's. Starting to split counties, though following township lines.

1963-1973 Congressional Districts

CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 01:58:01 PM »

I tried it, but gave up after finding data for about 35 counties.

Yeah I first looked at the rural counties knowing they would be hardest to get data for; after looking at about 5 and having no luck I was like screw it. I really, really want to though.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 08:09:15 PM »

So here is the 1970's. Starting to break townships. I really like the shape of the 2nd and the 7th in this map. Also this was the last time most of Indianapolis (11th district) was held by a Republican; William Hudnut for one term following the 1972 redistricting and blowout election of Richard Nixon. He was then defeated for reelection in 1974.

1973-1983 Congressional Districts

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 08:11:46 PM »

So I got bored... for like a week straight and I decided to draw a map of Indiana townships in Paint 'cause that's what normal people do when they're bored right? Anyways, I hand drew all the townships in Paint via maps from Wikipedia and decided to make some different maps with them. I've got a bunch, but this is the first one I made.

This is a map using data from DRA of township level presidential results in the 2008 election. Obama narrowly won and you can see his success is clearly in Northwest Indiana and Marion and Monroe counties, but he did well in most of the medium sized cities, pretty much winning them all. Interesting to see Northeast Indiana though and just how Republican it is, same for the Cincy burbs/exurbs.

Does this also include cities?
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 10:08:56 PM »

Does this also include cities?

I included the cities in their respective townships in my totals for election results, demographics, and total pop.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 04:50:28 PM »

I think a lot of the blue on the western border would be republican on a 2012 map. Vermillion county is trending republican and flipped in 2012 to Romney. Also i love how uniformly republican the wealthy suburbs are I get so sick of the "republicans are poor white racist rednecks" thing.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »

I think a lot of the blue on the western border would be republican on a 2012 map. Vermillion county is trending republican and flipped in 2012 to Romney. Also i love how uniformly republican the wealthy suburbs are I get so sick of the "republicans are poor white racist rednecks" thing.
Most of the blue area is in Vigo County, site of Terre Haute, which has Indiana State, and was the home of Eugene V Debs. It also appears that there is a Wabash valley effect which shows up a brighter red to the south, and a not so deep red past Lafayette, where you also have some county seats that remained blue.

Newport appears to be quite isolated. The National Road goes through Terre Haute, and US 36 has been bypassed by I-74 that goes through Champaign, Illinois. The river itself might have discouraged development of north-south roads, since at one time the river would have been the most efficient way to travel, but now it would be totally recreational.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 06:23:51 PM »

FTFY

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length