Doctor Who
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:56:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 625 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »

[Obligatory warning of eventual and inevitable spoilers in this topic.]

I'm sure many people that are drawn to this topic are already aware that Series 9 starts tonight (so I figured I'd open a new thread for discussion). According to the episode list, there will be three two-parters this series, including the premiere. As someone that tends to especially enjoy two-parters (with only last year's finale being the only one in the past two series, unless you include the specials ending the Eleventh Doctor's reign), I'm really looking forward to the new episodes. I'm also glad to Missy returning as the new incarnation of the Master, who will be in the premiere.

Even though it's not related to the new Series 9 (from what I can tell anyway), but BBC America will start airing old Classic Doctor Who episodes starting tomorrow with Genesis of the Daleks. Apparently, they will be airing at least one serial per day, all from Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor Era. I know they've aired in the past in this country, but it's the first time I've ever seen Classic Doctor Who on American TV (let alone BBC America). I've seen a number of Fourth Doctor serials and I would recommend watching what they're offering if you've never seen it, especially the serial they're starting with.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »

I cant wait for this season, mostly to see what other adventures Capaldi's Doctor gets into but how Clara's story is officially going to end (Im sure her death will be ugly and really tragic) and how Capaldi's Doctor copes with the loss. Not only that, but that obviously means a new companion (FINALLY).
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 12:51:05 AM »

I cant wait for this season, mostly to see what other adventures Capaldi's Doctor gets into but how Clara's story is officially going to end (Im sure her death will be ugly and really tragic) and how Capaldi's Doctor copes with the loss. Not only that, but that obviously means a new companion (FINALLY).

Indeed. I have also read that Jenna-Louise Coleman will be leaving this season. I don't think there's any doubt they will kill her off, the first time a companion has been killed off in Doctor Who since Adric in 1982's Earthshock (which BBC America aired as part of their monthly Doctors Revisited series in 2013). I don't think they'll understate the tragedy and I think a lot of fans will be livid.

Fyi, I have yet to watch the new episode. It's on the DVR, but I'll be watching it very soon. Smiley
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »

I just watched the new episode. I'm not really sure what to make of it, so much happens in just 45 minutes it's hard to digest. They leave it on a total cliffhanger, as they do.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »

The local PBS station has been showing classic episodes every Saturday, The Green Death this week, good stuff. Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 12:26:05 AM »

Indeed. I have also read that Jenna-Louise Coleman will be leaving this season. I don't think there's any doubt they will kill her off, the first time a companion has been killed off in Doctor Who since Adric in 1982's Earthshock (which BBC America aired as part of their monthly Doctors Revisited series in 2013). I don't think they'll understate the tragedy and I think a lot of fans will be livid.

Fyi, I have yet to watch the new episode. It's on the DVR, but I'll be watching it very soon. Smiley

Well I mean they technically killed off Rory/Amy, even if it was a "nice" killing off.

Also I wonder if BBC America's scheduling can shed light on future episodes. The showing of [spoilers] Genesis obviously was meant to coincide with the Magician's Apprentice.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 01:32:31 AM »

I just started season 8 (yeah, I know, late to the party Tongue).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:27:55 AM »

Karen Gillan being hot is literally the only thing I know about Doctor Who.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »

The local PBS station has been showing classic episodes every Saturday, The Green Death this week, good stuff. Smiley

That was one of the first Third Doctor stories I ever saw. He's quite different from other Doctors, but I really enjoyed him. The Green Death is definitely one of the best of his reign (I think only Spearheard from Space and Inferno can compete). The environmentalist sentiment certainly isn't subtle. The only issue I have with the Third Doctor's reign is that some of the stories dragged on a bit too long.

Well I mean they technically killed off Rory/Amy, even if it was a "nice" killing off.

Also I wonder if BBC America's scheduling can shed light on future episodes. The showing of [spoilers] Genesis obviously was meant to coincide with the Magician's Apprentice.

For the audience, the finality of Rory/Amy was powerful, but they weren't killed off on screen. They lived their full lives until they died (or at least apparently). I won't go any further, as we're going to get into technicalities and semantics.

As for BBC America's Classic Doctor Who, that was just the first. After Genesis, they have or will be airing:

The Seeds of Doom
Terror of the Zygons
Pyramids of Mars
The Hand of Fear
The Brain of Morbius
The Robots of Death
City of Death
The Keeper of Traken
Logopolis

I've seen Genesis as well as the above stories in bold. I'll probably have to watch City of Death again very soon. I didn't care for it the first watch, but almost everyone seems to rank it astronomically high. Personally, my favourite Fourth Doctor serials are The Ark in Space, Horror of Fang Rock, and Logopolis. The former is the first I'd ever seen of the Fourth Doctor and the former two have been available on Netflix for years.

The first episode of the new season was simply amazing. I loved it. I have to say I've just been completely enamored with Missy as the new Master. She's drawing on some the best elements of the past Masters. She has the calm and cool insidious persona of Delgado's Master, the pure evil murderousness of the Ainley Master, and the outright insanity of the Simm Master. She has combined them into something quite spectacular. I don't want to see her overused, but I won't complain if she's the Delgado to Capaldi's Pertwee.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 03:51:33 AM »

That was one of the first Third Doctor stories I ever saw. He's quite different from other Doctors, but I really enjoyed him. The Green Death is definitely one of the best of his reign (I think only Spearheard from Space and Inferno can compete). The environmentalist sentiment certainly isn't subtle. The only issue I have with the Third Doctor's reign is that some of the stories dragged on a bit too long.

For the audience, the finality of Rory/Amy was powerful, but they weren't killed off on screen. They lived their full lives until they died (or at least apparently). I won't go any further, as we're going to get into technicalities and semantics.

As for BBC America's Classic Doctor Who, that was just the first. After Genesis, they have or will be airing:

The Seeds of Doom
Terror of the Zygons
Pyramids of Mars
The Hand of Fear
The Brain of Morbius
The Robots of Death
City of Death
The Keeper of Traken
Logopolis

I've seen Genesis as well as the above stories in bold. I'll probably have to watch City of Death again very soon. I didn't care for it the first watch, but almost everyone seems to rank it astronomically high. Personally, my favourite Fourth Doctor serials are The Ark in Space, Horror of Fang Rock, and Logopolis. The former is the first I'd ever seen of the Fourth Doctor and the former two have been available on Netflix for years.

The first episode of the new season was simply amazing. I loved it. I have to say I've just been completely enamored with Missy as the new Master. She's drawing on some the best elements of the past Masters. She has the calm and cool insidious persona of Delgado's Master, the pure evil murderousness of the Ainley Master, and the outright insanity of the Simm Master. She has combined them into something quite spectacular. I don't want to see her overused, but I won't complain if she's the Delgado to Capaldi's Pertwee.

Curious that Logopolis is the last episode. I'd like to note that no one actually knows if Peter is coming back for a third season...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »

The Seeds of Doom
Terror of the Zygons
Pyramids of Mars
The Hand of Fear
The Brain of Morbius
The Robots of Death
City of Death
The Keeper of Traken
Logopolis

Curious that Logopolis is the last episode. I'd like to note that no one actually knows if Peter is coming back for a third season...

I thought the standard contract was three years, so unless they don't want him then he probably will come back. I love him personally, nice contras to Smith (who I also love).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies