Opinion of the Fat Acceptance Movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:03:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of the Fat Acceptance Movement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Fat Acceptance Movement
FFs

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Opinion of the Fat Acceptance Movement  (Read 1849 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »

vote!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 03:06:47 PM »

Very HPs. People should not give up hope of becoming healthy.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:52:10 PM »

Is this a thing? lol at 'acceptance'. We've accepted fat people for a long time as people. But we should not just accept fatness if that's what it is.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:53:38 PM »

LOL 0-10

Anyway, HP.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »

HP, and this coming from someone who is overweight.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »

check your thin privilege, people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »

I'm a little confused.  Do they want us to accept that they move?  No, that can't be right.  Do they want us to stop....hassling them?  Is that a problem?  If your friends and family (or medical professionals) are telling you you're fat, YOU"RE PROBABLY TOO FAT.  If strangers are telling you you're fat, well they are assholes, ignore them, and you may or may not be too fat.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 10:58:16 AM »

Mega HP. I remember a time in the '80s when the the whole fat thing was cool, tbh, but it's good that it's gone the other way, and obesity/overeating are associated more with something like smoking or an unhealthy lifestyle. With more healthier choices regularly available in grocery stores, and gyms and running tracks around every corner, I'm glad to see this issue in the public health sphere now.

Very HPs. People should not give up hope of becoming healthy.

I would actually hit "like" if there was a like button. Tongue
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »

I think fat acceptness is about not berating people who are overweight or just out of shape. I don't think anybody is suggesting that people who are dangerously obese should accept that. But I think it's about not berating people who aren't in shape or have a bit of a belly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 11:13:52 PM »

Do fat people regularly get berated for being fat?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »

We should just be glad that there isn't a Fat Acceptance Party.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:50:19 PM »

We should just be glad that there isn't a Fat Acceptance Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_German_Workers%27_Party
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 11:53:06 PM »

Obesity ought to be discouraged and fought against, but not by outright harassment. On top of everything else, obese people have to deal with harassment in their social life. An embrace of obesity is not the correct response to this, so I'd say severely misguided.

Yes, someone's physical appearance is one of the most common causes of bullying. I would think this is obvious.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:00:32 AM »

Neutral, on balance.

Is there a lot fat hate, especially on the internet? Yes. As someone who was overweight for a fair portion of my life, I understand that. However, the idea that you can be 'healthy at any size' is flat wrong and I don't think it should be promoted.

The fat acceptance movement is good in that its helps those struggling with their body image. A positive outlook is, in my experience, a necessary precursor to losing weight. I usually run 8-12 miles a day at the gym. I didn't go from being almost obese to being a cardio nut because I was shamed into it - I had people/things that lifted me up.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 12:07:15 AM »

Yes, someone's physical appearance is one of the most common causes of bullying. I would think this is obvious.
Past the age of 16?  I know they don't get hired at easily as non-fatties, people may stare (especially children) at the super fat and I'm sure there are dozens (if not hundreds) of other small or subtle things people do, or don't do towards fat people, but I wasn't aware any of them were over the top, adult on adult bullying of strangers who are fat.  I've never seen it.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, clearly it does, but I wasn't aware it was a major issues for the overweight.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 12:33:29 PM »

Obviously fat people should be accepted as members of society, but the concept of being fat shouldn't be accepted.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »

Is there really such a thing?  I would argue no.  Is there a Washington DC lobbying organization for fat acceptance?  That's a good test.

Being fat is basically a food addiction.  Addicts justify their addictions and say completely ridiculous things.  Listen to a serious drug addict explain why it's OK to destroy their life with drugs.  That equivalent of deranged individual thinking exists for some fat people.  But, there is no meth addicts movement that says doing meth is perfectly fine.  There are just individual addicts who justify their addiction and sometimes do that online.  There's no fat acceptance movement though.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »

I had never heard of it either till I saw this thread, but apparently there is such a thing.  Google turns up at least ten pages of hits.  The first is a wikipedia article, but many of the others are telling.  The movement has its own facebook page as well.  Moreover, there's a university sociologist who specializes in studying the movement.  She traces it back to about 1963.  The first recorded ritual burning of diet books happened in 1967.  The National Association Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) was founded in 1969.  Lots of history.  It's a real thing, apparently, although I have not yet formed enough of an opinion to vote in the poll.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »

Pointless and counter productive. If you're fat, just be fat and most people won't care. If you start making noise about how it's great to be fat though, you will be ridiculed but that's what they want. Most people in the Fat Acceptance movement are 20 something Tumblr girls who are seeking an oppression they can complain about.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »

I believe in just accepting people. Why can't we all treat each other better than ourselves?
Making America Great Again
TrumpDump
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 07:56:43 AM »

I was against it for awhile. Now that my metabolism is starting to slow down, not so much.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 11:01:08 PM »

Kind of dumb, but the people who religiously attack fat people on an individual level as opposed to as a societal problem are morons and normally, weirdly enough, no less unhealthy than your average fatty.

Obviously counteracting obesity is an important target but it should be focused on reducing childhood obesity/regulating foodstuffs/better urban planning/reduced junk food advertising not targeting existing fat.

The latter need to focus on their health rather than beauty standards, and suggestions that "just losing weight" will increase their health will go disasterously wrong, and invariably attracts a variety of spivs in the fad diet, cosmetic surgery, diet pill, food and exercise industries like weightwatches which I'm convinced is a scam.

One of the worst culprits is the food industry, especially confectioners and fast food outlets who now routinely healthwash their products by sponsoring sports events; which is like somebody removing your leg with a hacksaw and then handing you a few bandaids to stem the bleeding.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 11:31:31 PM »

Kind of dumb, but the people who religiously attack fat people on an individual level as opposed to as a societal problem are morons and normally, weirdly enough, no less unhealthy than your average fatty.
Who are these people?  Where are these people?  I'm an old.  I've seen a lot of jerks and a lot of fat people and I've never seen a fat person openly mocked by an adult stranger.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Regulate foodstuffs and advertising?  Because some people are fat?  Gross.  Why must we jump to the authoritarian crap?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 11:50:33 PM »

Maybe things are different in Nebraska, deadman Smiley

authoritarian? I call it treating the cause rather than the symptom (which is spend more money on obese people or ludicrous measures like "fat tax". In my mind that's the more ... scientific solution to a clear societal issue.

And I like freedom as much as the next person, but I'm not going to start crying because cigarette companies can't advertise their wares to kids or food companies can't fill every good with trans fats... Does that make me basically Mussolini?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 12:01:30 AM »

I suppose we're just nicer Wink
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I have no idea what you're going on about here.  The devil is in the details, what regulation would you propose?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies