Films you won't watch again (see OP)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Films you won't watch again (see OP)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Films you won't watch again (see OP)  (Read 2609 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2015, 01:11:20 AM »

Not because they are bad, but because you don't feel you can handle watching them again.

For me, it's certainly The Damned.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 01:43:28 AM »

The Poughkeepsie Tapes. I watched only about 45 minutes and still am disturbed.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 02:18:23 AM »

The Triplets of Belleville - definitely not a bad movie, but just weird without being endearing.
Dead Man - I liked it a lot stylistically, but not exactly enjoyable.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 09:22:24 AM »

Birdman
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:34:34 AM »

I actually got up and left the theater during World War Z
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »

Grave of the Fireflies. God this movie scarred me. Doesn't help that I watched it when I was 8 or something.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »

Green Lantern because it physically hurt to watch.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »

The Room is so bad that my metaphorical grandchildren are vomiting.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »

Citizen Kane

No point in watching all those unlikable characters if the plot is solved in 5 minutes and the rest of the it is just other unlikable character's opinions of a real unlikable guy.

Ron Howard's How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Ugly style, Jim Carrey going too far over the top, the moral of the story being dropkicked into the next week, and cringe-inducing gags. And with the original animated classic, there's a viable story as is.

The Prestige

Actually a nicely done movie in look and intrigue, but like Citizen Kane, virtually no likable characters. And the Shyamalan-esque twist ending only solidified how unlikable the main protagonists are.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »

Citizen Kane

No point in watching all those unlikable characters if the plot is solved in 5 minutes and the rest of the it is just other unlikable character's opinions of a real unlikable guy.

LOL, I was just thinking about rewatching Citizen Kane one of these days. Tongue

I actually didn't find Kane to be unlikable. Sure, he's not a good person (though still a better person than the real William Randolph Hearst! Tongue), but as a character I found him really fascinating and well-written, and he has his good traits (always striving to do something great and to be loved, seemingly sincere populist beliefs). The likability of other characters is irrelevant, since they're not real characters but mainly props to reveal elements of Kane's character.

While I'm not going to say it's "the best movie ever made" (I'm not sure such thing could ever exist, since there is no objective measure of film quality) it's definitely worth some praise. It goes above and beyond what any other movie of the time would go in terms of psychological analysis and emotional complexity.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »

Olympus has fallen
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 04:38:09 PM »

The Room is so bad that my metaphorical grandchildren are vomiting.

Not into navel lovemaking?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »

The Babadook was probably the most bizarre movie I've ever watched un-ironically.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »

The Babadook was probably the most bizarre movie I've ever watched un-ironically.

That was a great movie!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 05:44:01 AM »

Inception. A ridiculously far-fetched film that cheaply undermined itself, just for thrills and the illusion of depth, with a frustrating, non-committal "shock ending."
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 09:37:26 AM »

One time of Shutter Island was enough. Beautifully filmed, of course, but the big twist was just way too much and parts of it didn't make a lot of sense. Odd material for Scorsese to say the least.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »

One time of Shutter Island was enough. Beautifully filmed, of course, but the big twist was just way too much and parts of it didn't make a lot of sense. Odd material for Scorsese to say the least.

LOL, I actually watched it four times. It's a contender for my favorite movie of all time.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl- Really.  I went to this movie when it first came out, and I was so bored that I wanted to walk out of the movie theatre before it ended.  Then again, I've never been a fan of action movies, so you can't really blame me.

Finding Nemo- Pixar hasn't made a single decent film outside of the Toy Story series, but they took vapid and juvenile to a whole new level with this one.  Dumb jokes, lousy storytelling, and mind-numbingly scary scenes.

Napoleon Dynamite- Perhaps the worst movie I have ever seen or could possibly be made.  Incredibly boring and incredibly stupid at the same time.  A travesty if there ever was one.

Anything Disney has made since The Lion King (except Mulan)

A couple other posters mentioned some other films on my list, such as Olympus Has Fallen and the Grinch movie with Jim Carrey/Ron Howard.  I also despise just about anything with Will Ferrell (with a possible exception for Semi-Pro, due to hometown/home state bias.)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl- Really.  I went to this movie when it first came out, and I was so bored that I wanted to walk out of the movie theatre before it ended.  Then again, I've never been a fan of action movies, so you can't really blame me.

Finding Nemo- Pixar hasn't made a single decent film outside of the Toy Story series, but they took vapid and juvenile to a whole new level with this one.  Dumb jokes, lousy storytelling, and mind-numbingly scary scenes.

Napoleon Dynamite- Perhaps the worst movie I have ever seen or could possibly be made.  Incredibly boring and incredibly stupid at the same time.  A travesty if there ever was one.

Anything Disney has made since The Lion King (except Mulan)

A couple other posters mentioned some other films on my list, such as Olympus Has Fallen and the Grinch movie with Jim Carrey/Ron Howard.  I also despise just about anything with Will Ferrell (with a possible exception for Semi-Pro, due to hometown/home state bias.)

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 06:58:48 PM »

LOL, I actually watched it four times. It's a contender for my favorite movie of all time.

That's one that has to do with expectations, I think. I didn't know much about it, and I was expecting something very, very different. I don't like to be set up for something only to find out that what's going on is really something else. I hate that, even though it's done pretty well in this case.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 08:27:10 PM »

It begins with a barracuda killing Nemo's mother and siblings, then has him kidnapped and taken to a strange place, then has Marlin and Dory being chased by sharks, then has them get stung by jellyfish, then has them swallowed by a whale.  To top it all off, Nemo and the others in the aquarium are tortured by a little girl.  If that's not scary, then I don't know what is.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 09:00:50 PM »

Despite your profile alleging you to be 22 years old, nevertheless I have reported you to Dave for registering an account on his forum while under the legal age of 13.

And the confusion was aimed at your juxtaposition of two very different adjectives.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 09:11:45 PM »

It begins with a barracuda killing Nemo's mother and siblings, then has him kidnapped and taken to a strange place, then has Marlin and Dory being chased by sharks, then has them get stung by jellyfish, then has them swallowed by a whale.  To top it all off, Nemo and the others in the aquarium are tortured by a little girl.  If that's not scary, then I don't know what is.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »

That's one that has to do with expectations, I think. I didn't know much about it, and I was expecting something very, very different. I don't like to be set up for something only to find out that what's going on is really something else. I hate that, even though it's done pretty well in this case.

Actually, I was expecting (like you, I imagine) something closer to a straight-up police inquiry movie, but in this circumstance it didn't bother me at all. It's not like detective stories and psychological thrillers are completely antithetical genres, and I'd assume the sort of people who like one generally also like the other.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies