Ben Carson on Meet The Press
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 11:38:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ben Carson on Meet The Press
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ben Carson on Meet The Press  (Read 4095 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 03:31:18 PM »

The philosophy of a candidate's religion is HIGHLY relevant as to what kind of President he will be.  Islam isn't like Christianity, which doesn't endorse a theocracy, or Buddhism and Hinduism, which endorse lifestyles, but are not particularly proselytizing.

Sunni Islam doesn't endorse a theocracy. Only Shia Islam does.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 04:52:04 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2015, 06:02:05 PM by Likely Voter »

REMINDER: This is not the place for anti-Religious group trolling. I had to delete a post and replies with quotes related to it.

Bobloblaw tone it down please.
bobloblaw
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2015, 05:42:14 PM »

The philosophy of a candidate's religion is HIGHLY relevant as to what kind of President he will be.  Islam isn't like Christianity, which doesn't endorse a theocracy, or Buddhism and Hinduism, which endorse lifestyles, but are not particularly proselytizing.

Sunni Islam doesn't endorse a theocracy. Only Shia Islam does.

There is no separation of religion and state in Islam. Turkey is increasingly a theocracy and Pakistan is ruled according to Sharia.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:14 PM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/254330-carson-doubles-down-on-no-muslims-in-the-white-house
Carson has doubled down on his comment, now saying...
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That is a bit rich coming from the guy who thinks our tax code should be rewritten on biblical principles.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »

Disgusting comments from the far-right and Ben Carson. Despite being a hawk on foreign policy, I don't have anything against Muslims or real Islam.

As a Jew, in particular, it would be disturbing and immoral of me to hate any religious group. I always thought Carson was ridiculous but this just cements my belief that I can not support him for President.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 10:14:36 PM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/254330-carson-doubles-down-on-no-muslims-in-the-white-house
Carson has doubled down on his comment, now saying...
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That is a bit rich coming from the guy who thinks our tax code should be rewritten on biblical principles.

Seriously...the bullcrap from Carson is getting old. Doesn't want sharia but wants a Christian theocracy instead.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »

As I understood his comments, he stated that he would not want a Muslim as our President.  He didn't say it would be unconstitutional.  I imagine a large majority of Republicans would agree that they don't want a Muslim as President.

That being said, it was a really stupid remark for him to make.  It probably rules out any chance of him being the VP selection.  I doubt it will help his nomination chances.  In contrast, though, Trump could probably have gotten away with this type of comment.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 10:09:32 PM »

Very stupid issue.

Look, in 1945 if the media asked a politician if we should have a Japanese American President, the answer would have been: "Are you in' nuts? We're at war with Japanese enemies."

The same applies 70 years later. We're at war with Islamic extremists.

You could pour gasoline on the fire, but it's better just to leave it alone.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »

Very stupid issue.

Look, in 1945 if the media asked a politician if we should have a Japanese American President, the answer would have been: "Are you in' nuts? We're at war with Japanese enemies."

Kind of a false equivalency given that the Japanese were so feared that we rounded them up in droves and put them into camps. We haven't done that with the 2-3 million Muslims currently residing in the US.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 10:18:35 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2015, 10:22:27 PM by Reaganfan »

Very stupid issue.

Kind of a false equivalency given that the Japanese were so feared that we rounded them up in droves and put them into camps. We haven't done that with the 2-3 million Muslims currently residing in the US.

Exactly. THAT was wrong. That was a disturbing executive order issued by a liberal hero President.

So the fact that we don't do that to Muslims means that if they think that being "offended" is bad, they don't know how good they got it. Life gives you potatoes, make potato salad.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »

The big question is: will this whole flap help him or hurt him? Even if many in the GOP base may agree with him, they also see the media feeding frenzy. Even the hardest core GOPer knows that in order to win their candidate needs to know how to deal with the mainstream/lamestream/leftwing/etc media. This is not the first time Carson has stirred up the hornet's nest. It should be clear he isn't ready for primetime.

But then again every time Trump says something controversial he goes up in the polls so who the hell knows?
bobloblaw
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51:37 PM »

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/isis-uses-churches-torture-chambers-where-christians-forced-convert-islam-killed-report-647300
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2015, 10:57:24 PM »

Disgusting comments from the far-right and Ben Carson. Despite being a hawk on foreign policy, I don't have anything against Muslims or real Islam.

As a Jew, in particular, it would be disturbing and immoral of me to hate any religious group. I always thought Carson was ridiculous but this just cements my belief that I can not support him for President.

ISIS is real Islam.

Lol no it's not, I think I know my religion better than you do. ISIS is also killing boatloads of Muslims who don't follow their warped version of it
weixiaobao
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 11:23:06 PM »

It bad enough that we have presidential candidates who running for president who believe the world is 6,000 years old (Carson and others).  Encouraging more crazies in won't fix the issues.  

Even then the radical Christian conservatives here in the USA are 100x time better than the moderate muslims globally.

The only muslims I would even consider is the sort of muslims who pray like 1 time a year.  Eat pork when he want to.  And thought most of his faith is just plain silly and able to joke about it.

There indeed those people exist and I know a few.  To be honest, they aren't really muslims at all in the religious sense.  If they want to culturally associate with being a muslim, fine.  But I doubt that what Dr. Carson meant here.  Like for example, if some plot twist, and Obama is indeed a muslim all along.  That the sort of Muslim I am talking about (The .0000000000000000000000000001% concentrated orange juice).  Which make it weirder how conservatives hate him for that.  That is why the latter is prejudice and perhaps racism (yes racism, it like a Sikh man get attack for being a muslim on the basic that he is brown and not religion).  While the former (Carson) is just hypocrisy in one sense (even the hypocrisy charge can be argue away).  
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 06:34:18 AM »

No, perhaps you need to listen again. Dr. Carson indicated that he would not advocate for a Muslim presidential candidate because he feels Islam is inconsistent with the constitution. At no time did he say a Muslim couldn't be president; if you can read. I assume you can find out what the constitution says regarding who is eligable to run for office. Once again, the PC Police going nuts over an honest comment. Want to refute this perception of Islam? Well, point to an Islamic country that allows religious freedoms and plurality. In theory, an islamic fundamentalist who is a citizen of the Unitd States could be president. Would that be good for the country? Would you support such a candidate? Sorry, but Dr. Carson saying that he doesn't believe Islam and the constitution operate on the same principles is not surprising, and may not be incorrect...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 06:36:22 AM »

Well, point to an Islamic country that allows religious freedoms and plurality. In theory, an islamic fundamentalist who is a citizen of the Unitd States could be president. Would that be good for the country? Would you support such a candidate? Sorry, but Dr. Carson saying that he doesn't believe Islam and the constitution operate on the same principles is not surprising, and may not be incorrect...

Indonesia
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 06:51:12 AM »

Isn't Carson a lot closer to fundamentalism himself than any actual Muslim with any chance to get to the presidency or even a cabinet position?
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2015, 07:02:01 AM »

Isn't Carson a lot closer to fundamentalism himself than any actual Muslim with any chance to get to the presidency or even a cabinet position?

Ironically yes he is. However, since many people fear Muslims and anything related to Islam, then he use that as a way to show he's "non PC" and that he's aware of the "threat" that Islam in the Western world.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »

Carson says he'd be happy to support a Muslim president, as long as that person rejected Islam(!):

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/ben-carson-muslim-comments-reject-islam-213914
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 11:16:52 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2015, 11:21:11 AM by Хahar »

Very stupid issue.

Exactly. THAT was wrong. That was a disturbing executive order issued by a liberal hero President.

So the fact that we don't do that to Muslims means that if they think that being "offended" is bad, they don't know how good they got it. Life gives you potatoes, make potato salad.

I love Naso's comments because they're a window into the way a certain sort of person (the type of person I hope I never ever interact with) thinks. I should be grateful I'm not in a concentration camp, you know?

Not necessarily, but lately the Anti-Muslim rhetoric from some of the candidates is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

lmao

"I am disappointed that members of a party whose electorate reviles and despises my identity would make hateful statements!"
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »

lmao

I love the thinly-veiled threat here.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »

"I do not want a Muslim theocracy... I do not want a Christian theocracy either."

- Dr. Benjamin H. Carson
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2015, 12:41:42 PM »

"I do not want a Muslim theocracy... I do not want a Christian theocracy either."

- Dr. Benjamin H. Carson

Says the guy who's tax code plan is based on the Bible.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »

- Dr. Benjamin H. Carson

Says the guy who's tax code plan is based on the Bible.

A horribly inaccurate misrepresentation of the Bible, nonetheless.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »

- Dr. Benjamin H. Carson

It's S. It stands for Solomon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies