Hayek for dummies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:33:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Hayek for dummies
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hayek for dummies  (Read 1364 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2005, 01:17:29 PM »

The Road to Serfdom... in cartton
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 02:11:08 PM »

How perfectly appropriate this is given the intelligence of the average Hayek fan.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 02:21:48 PM »

How perfectly appropriate this is given the intelligence of the average Hayek fan.

I agree. His proposal for the denationalization of money was so stupid for reserving government a role. Roll Eyes
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 02:23:09 PM »

The average Hayek fan is in general highly educated. Keynes is another matter.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 02:28:16 PM »

Hayek reeks of the pathetic neoconservative desire for intellectual credibility even as the tide of thought turned against such vacuous thinking.

I will agree that Keynes has his intrinsic limitations, and many of his adherents have been somewhat dim, causing the theory to be the source of several economic crises.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 02:31:09 PM »

Hayek reeks of the pathetic neoconservative desire for intellectual credibility even as the tide of thought turned against such vacuous thinking.

I will agree that Keynes has his intrinsic limitations, and many of his adherents have been somewhat dim, causing the theory to be the source of several economic crises.

Hayek a neo-con?
Oh boy, the folks at the Mises Institute must have been talking about the wrong Hayek all this time.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 02:52:50 PM »

Which ones?

Btw, Bono, that cartoon made me think of the Bush administration more than anything else going on today - war as an excuse for reduction of freedoms and all.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 06:00:10 PM »

Seems to me like it actually happened as Hayek depicted in Nazi Germany, and in the USSR. Some of those things were happening in the US under FDR too. His National Recovery Act was a big step in the direction of central planning.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:01:55 PM »

Its always nice to see your posts, and you consistently expose your ignorance, and thoughlessness.

Hayek was quite clear in that he rejected conservatism, stating he was a classical liberal.

As to the rest of your post, it was simply more drivel.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 03:21:20 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2005, 03:23:34 PM by thefactor »

Oh, I thought the cartoon was going to end in the Reagan revolution. "and then the people get sick of planning and elect a good conservative!" Smiley

It's quite insightful how all that begins in a war. The biggest expansion of government has historically been through conventional war (the "war" on terrorism has but been a small puppy dog compared to the type of war I'm talking about, although it has expanded gov't tremendously) between national powers. Afterwards, although there is some ratcheting down, ideological and institutional relations have been transformed to the extent that government is what seems to be permanently larger.

I think the international system must be protected because it provides a framework with which to prevent a big, conventional war. When the Outside is the enemy, the leaders are freer than ever to consolidate dictatorial power. Preventing conventional war, this means protecting the U.N., multilateral agreements, and international consensus to finding a peaceful solution. A small war such as Iraq, is different, and the arguments there are not quite the same. But there is some truth to opebo's point (rally-around-the-flag effect, etc). The matter is one of balance. I don't think a war like Iraq is big enough to make this particular argument work entirely, but a war with a bigger power would.

It's in the libertarians' interest to protect some kind of multilateralism and a strong, pro-active consensus against conventional war, rather than a flippant or passively against attitude towards it, as we are drifting towards today. Fortunately it has been avoided for 60 years, but there could be nothing, absolutely nothing more devastating to the libertarian cause than to become involved in such a war.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 03:39:42 PM »

Your posts consistently demonstrate your inability to use commas, Carl Hayden. However,  I would rather not descend to the kindl of invective you use so adroitly.

Perhaps calling Hayek himself a neo-conservative was hasty, but the use of his ideas by the neo-conservative supporters of Reagan and Thatcher is undeniable. Hayek regularly consutled with Thatcher herself until his death, not to mention the long procession of conservative "intellectuals" who so reverently support his most far-fetched ideas.

The problem with Keynes was his over-reliance on deficit spending to generate economic growth. I will admit, though, his model has been in many cases a practical success, and it should certainly be considered.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 07:36:37 PM »

I wanted to say I aggree with this "Road to Serfdom" cartoon. It made sense to me, and I am one who really doesn't understand the innerworkings of how different governments rise. I know American democracy, but facism is an idea I do not completely fathom. This helped.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies