Santorum is toast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:56:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Santorum is toast
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Santorum is toast  (Read 13267 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2005, 10:55:57 PM »

IHe seems to be a man with a good head on his shoulders.

You have some very bad judgement, my friend.

Santorum is a right wing-nut who is owned by corporate special interests, hence the recent weather service legislation and Zippo lighter amendment, as well as trying to do away with overtime pay and minimum wage laws.

Santorum is a prime example of everything wrong with our current crop of politicans.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2005, 11:08:12 PM »

IHe seems to be a man with a good head on his shoulders.

You have some very bad judgement, my friend.

Santorum is a right wing-nut who is owned by corporate special interests, hence the recent weather service legislation and Zippo lighter amendment, as well as trying to do away with overtime pay and minimum wage laws.

Santorum is a prime example of everything wrong with our current crop of politicans.

Roll Eyes  You're so informed, aren't you? Did you know that Santorum tried to raise the minimum wage or are you really that ignorant?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2005, 11:42:43 PM »

Roll Eyes  You're so informed, aren't you? Did you know that Santorum tried to raise the minimum wage or are you really that ignorant?

You fail to tell the whole story, my friend.

The Santorum amendment raised the minimum wage to a little over $6.00, while completely exempting small businesses from minimum wage laws, getting rid of minimum wage for waitors/waitresses, and shifting the way overtime is calculated by going from a 40-hour system to an 80-hour 2 week system.

The bill was a piece of sh*t that had no chance of getting passed and was merely done for political purposes and helping to get re-elected.  If it was enacted, millions of people would have been affected for the worse.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »

If any increase in the minumum wage is enacted, millions of people will be affected for the worse.  It's one of the most destructive policies around.  Employees who rely on tips should be exempted from the minumum wage, it improves service and pricing in restaurants.

And replacing the 40 hour week with an 80 hour 2 week system would cut down on commuting while people work the same amount of hours.  Sounds like a good thing for the enviornment to me.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2005, 03:14:57 AM »

I apoligize to Phil if he's already answered this.

You talk about Toomey hitting Schwartz with social issues and how it would result in a Toomey win, yet that was basically what happened in 2004, Bush hitting Kerry on social issues, yet Kerry won PA. How is Toomey better than Bush and Schwartz worse than Kerry?

I've explained the Kerry win so many times. It boils down to partisanship when it comes to national races.

Hold on there just one second.  Pennsylvania has NEVER had a clearly partisan test with two strong candidates running for Senate.  For the most part since the 1960s, we've had moderate Republicans running with the exception of Rick Santorum.  In the latter case, he sneaks in due to weak candidates, lack of name rec and lack of pro-choice interest for the Democrat.  That's why Santorum won Montco.  2000 was 2 anti-choicers with a dud Democrat and an extreme Republican who came off as a moderate.  2004 was 2 pro-choicers with Specter amassing a huge incumbent advantage and labor support.  Hmm, I'm not following here Phil.  I think we could very easily match Schwartz, Hafer, or Hoeffel with Toomey and come out on top statewide.         
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »

I apoligize to Phil if he's already answered this.

You talk about Toomey hitting Schwartz with social issues and how it would result in a Toomey win, yet that was basically what happened in 2004, Bush hitting Kerry on social issues, yet Kerry won PA. How is Toomey better than Bush and Schwartz worse than Kerry?

I've explained the Kerry win so many times. It boils down to partisanship when it comes to national races.

Hold on there just one second.  Pennsylvania has NEVER had a clearly partisan test with two strong candidates running for Senate.  For the most part since the 1960s, we've had moderate Republicans running with the exception of Rick Santorum.  In the latter case, he sneaks in due to weak candidates, lack of name rec and lack of pro-choice interest for the Democrat.  That's why Santorum won Montco.  2000 was 2 anti-choicers with a dud Democrat and an extreme Republican who came off as a moderate.  2004 was 2 pro-choicers with Specter amassing a huge incumbent advantage and labor support.  Hmm, I'm not following here Phil.  I think we could very easily match Schwartz, Hafer, or Hoeffel with Toomey and come out on top statewide.         

What don't you get? You keep bringing up Klink in 2000. Yeah the Pro Choice community didn't have their candidate (Schwartz) but Klink was more in line with the Dems of this state and still lost! If it wasn't partisanship for the national level, the GOP would win easily. We have dominance in the State Legislature, a majority of the members of the PA U.S. House delegation are Republicans, two Republican U.S. Senators. You guys have Governor, State Treasurer and State Auditor. How can you say that it's not partisanship when it comes to national races?

Throw Hoeffel against Toomey and he has a chance. Throw Hafer or Schwartz against Toomey and Toomey will take it by about five or six points.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2007, 09:29:06 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2007, 09:32:17 PM by For Want Of »

Ha. Bandit was right, everyone else (except Flyers and some Democratic "hacks") was wrong. How about that.

also nickshepDEM should SERIOUSLY look into a career as a political strategist.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2007, 12:16:21 AM »

Saying those posters were "right" is like saying a guy who always claims the next card pulled from a deck will be the ace of spades is right when that card is finally pulled after 30 others.  No one "knew" a year and a half ahead what would happen in that race, they took countless stabs in the dark and one stuck.  Grow up.

I had predicted at every single point since I came to this forum that Santorum would lose in 2006, and much time before that. I never at any point believed Santorum would win. Was I wrong?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2007, 06:43:43 PM »

Wait until a bad election for your side, BRTD. Just wait...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »

Wait until a bad election for your side, BRTD. Just wait...

You mean like 2 out of the 3 that I could vote in?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies