Santorum is toast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:16:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Santorum is toast
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Santorum is toast  (Read 13278 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2005, 06:46:27 PM »

What about the base closings in the Western part of the state. Surely that won't help Santorum.

One in Allegheny county and one in the Philly suburbs. The two worst places it could happen for Santorum.

They were probably only hit because Pennsylvania voted for Kerry.  If you look at all the base changes, Bush states gain jobs while Kerry states lose them.  Pennsylvania unseating Santorum would just be asking for more punishment...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2005, 06:53:20 PM »

What the hell are they going to "hit" Casey on? The man has literally not done one thing controversial his whole career.

Oh I don't know. What's this? His fourth statewide run in six years? How about the fact that he had no intention of running until after the national party begged him?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2005, 07:08:29 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2005, 07:12:26 PM by BushOklahoma »

What about the base closings in the Western part of the state. Surely that won't help Santorum.

One in Allegheny county and one in the Philly suburbs. The two worst places it could happen for Santorum.

They were probably only hit because Pennsylvania voted for Kerry. If you look at all the base changes, Bush states gain jobs while Kerry states lose them. Pennsylvania unseating Santorum would just be asking for more punishment...

I beg to differ with that.  Two states that Bush won that lost installations would be South Dakota and Alabama.  South Dakota is slated to lose its second-largest employer and Alabama apparently is losing quite a bit.  True, it is mostly Kerry states that are losing installations, but the Bush states are not immune.  Oklahoma is losing 6 smaller installations, namely 5 Army and 1 Army NG installation and one semi-major installation -- Altus AFB in Southwest, Oklahoma is being realigned.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2005, 07:40:52 PM »

Remember, this is before Congress gets ahold of these closures. I almost guarantee Ellsworth survives the cuts.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2005, 07:51:02 PM »

Ellsworth is supposedly already off the list.

If Casey has breathed wrong, the GOP will make him pay for it. His lack of accomplishments-- while insulating him from huge mistakes-- will be a key point.
danwxman

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2005, 08:48:32 PM »

If Casey has breathed wrong, the GOP will make him pay for it. His lack of accomplishments-- while insulating him from huge mistakes-- will be a key point.

Casey's record isn't vulnerable at all. He did a good job as Auditor General and as Treasurer his current plans are to cut a few jobs to get rid of some of the bureaucracy, that won't go over well with the people who get laid off but it will look pretty good to the economic conservatives/libertarians in the Southeast. The only critisism the GOP will wage against Casey is going to be aimed at his campaign....as it has been already.

Santorum on the other hand is a walking target.
danwxman

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2005, 08:51:30 PM »

What the hell are they going to "hit" Casey on? The man has literally not done one thing controversial his whole career.

Oh I don't know. What's this? His fourth statewide run in six years? How about the fact that he had no intention of running until after the national party begged him?

Nobody cares about any of that stuff except for you.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2005, 08:53:29 PM »

Actually, fourth statewide run in six years is pretty pathetic. How can you even do that, in a state where elections occur once every two years?
danwxman

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2005, 08:57:31 PM »

Actually, fourth statewide run in six years is pretty pathetic. How can you even do that, in a state where elections occur once every two years?

Auditor General (2000) - Won
Dem nomination for Governor (2002) - Lost
State Treasurer (2004) - Won

He won two, lost one. He lost the most important one, but I'm kinda glad Rendell is Governor and not Casey.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2005, 08:58:56 PM »

Yeah, State Auditor. What's next, middle school class President?

His toughest race, he lost.
danwxman

« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2005, 09:01:18 PM »

Yeah, State Auditor. What's next, middle school class President?

His toughest race, he lost.

His campaign against Rendell was horrible. It centered around Rendell being a big-city liberal. Well, that didn't go over to well with most of the Democratic party.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2005, 09:59:44 PM »

He won two, lost one. He lost the most important one, but I'm kinda glad Rendell is Governor and not Casey.

You're missing the point. The GOP will make the issue that he ran some many times the main point. Sure he'll say "Well I won" but this will be different. Now people might discover a running for office pattern with Casey.

Also, I am obviously not the only one that cares since it's been discussed as part of the GOP strategy already, genius.
danwxman

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2005, 10:46:16 PM »

You're missing the point. The GOP will make the issue that he ran some many times the main point. Sure he'll say "Well I won" but this will be different. Now people might discover a running for office pattern with Casey.

Also, I am obviously not the only one that cares since it's been discussed as part of the GOP strategy already, genius.

Not going to be an issue at all.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2005, 09:25:10 AM »

Nor will Santorum comments three years before.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2005, 10:13:18 AM »

I hope your not assuming that the Santorum campaign will be the only one attacking.  Casey has some pretty nice "ammo" to use on Santorum.  SS, Schiavo, The Nuclear Option, Penn Hills, 40 hour work week, etc...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2005, 10:51:29 AM »

Nor will Santorum comments three years before.

That would never matter anyway. His approval ratings stayed the same after his comments. If there's one thing PA Dems have to realize, it is this: Santorum hating will not win them this race. SE PA might have it's fair share of Santorum haters but outside of this region, you would never win a race that was just anti-Santorum.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2005, 11:18:14 AM »

We've seen Santorum take the heat and stay strong. When Casey last took heat, he wilted.

Of course it will be flying both ways.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2005, 11:55:11 AM »

casey is ron klink with a famous last name.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2005, 12:48:04 PM »

There is another possibility.  Mclaughlin Group reported a rumor that Spector will resign, due to ill health.  Casey might be appointed.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2005, 12:51:18 PM »

There is another possibility.  Mclaughlin Group reported a rumor that Spector will resign, due to ill health.  Casey might be appointed.

Nah, Hafer will probably get that seat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2005, 01:07:57 PM »

J.J., why would Rendell want Casey? They have a chance to beat Santorum with Casey and then have a guarenteed appointment pickup. It would make no sense for it to go to Casey. It would be Hafer.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2005, 01:31:44 PM »

J.J., why would Rendell want Casey? They have a chance to beat Santorum with Casey and then have a guarenteed appointment pickup. It would make no sense for it to go to Casey. It would be Hafer.

Just reporting a rumor.  Rendell, might look at it as creating a "safe seat" and appealing to conservative Democrats.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »

Just reporting a rumor.  Rendell, might look at it as creating a "safe seat" and appealing to conservative Democrats.

I'm not doubting that Specter might resign soon. I just don't see any good reasons for picking Casey.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2005, 01:42:55 PM »

I'm not doubting that Specter might resign soon. I just don't see any good reasons for picking Casey.

It's a safe choice and boosts Rendell with conservative Democrats.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2005, 01:44:51 PM »

It's a safe choice and boosts Rendell with conservative Democrats.

He could also do that with Tim Holden. Then again, the Dems would lose that seat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies