Indians form Republican Hindu Coalition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:31:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indians form Republican Hindu Coalition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Indians form Republican Hindu Coalition  (Read 4434 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/18/indian-americans-organize-to-boost-republicans/

[quote]Shalabh “Shalli” Kumar, a prominent Indian-American businessman, has taken the lead in forming the Republican Hindu Coalition (RHC) in order to promote conservative principles such as free markets and limited government, with a focus on how they relate to Indian Americans. The organization is modeled after groups like the Republican Jewish Coalition, and plans to spend big in next year's elections.

"This is a very important time in history. The country has suffered so much so dramatically in the last eight years, and another four or eight years of the same direction, the U.S. as we know it will come to an end,” Kumar told FoxNews.com.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:13:26 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2015, 12:19:15 AM by RR1997 »

I'm an Indian-American who happens to be a Republican and Hindu, so this is good news I guess.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:18:37 AM »

So are they simply not planning to target Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Parsis, Muslims, or any non-Hindu Indian-American? That seems short-sighted. Especially considering that it'd mean excluding most-well known Indian-American Republicans, including the Catholic Jindal who the guy in the article mentions by name.

The make it sound like they're aiming for Indian-Americans in general, which is a great idea, but with a name like that...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 01:02:55 AM »

So are they simply not planning to target Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Parsis, Muslims, or any non-Hindu Indian-American? That seems short-sighted. Especially considering that it'd mean excluding most-well known Indian-American Republicans, including the Catholic Jindal who the guy in the article mentions by name.

The make it sound like they're aiming for Indian-Americans in general, which is a great idea, but with a name like that...

Sikhs, Jains as well as Parsis and Buddhists to a certain extent would pretty much fall under Hindu.......
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »

It's the BJP heads west!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:07:43 AM »

lol
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 01:22:48 PM »

I guess good luck to them if they're trying to get the GOP to be less insane on race and ethnicity.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »

It'll be an interesting case study to see how liberals react if this is at all successful; it might be fun to see racist Democratic roots revive themselves if Indian-Americans start voting Republican! Smiley
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2015, 02:43:46 PM by Moderate Hero Republican »

Good as I am also an Hindu Republican, and dont see how any Hindu  could be a democrat in these days unless Trump is the nominee.

The reasons why is

Hindus are very family orientated and believe in strong family values which Democrats do not

Hindus believe any person can succeed if they work hard, which the Democrats believe isnt true

Democrats support using affirmative action against which harms the entire Asians community

Democrats are appeasers to Islamic Extremists(unless it is a communist country invading them) which have harmed India and Hindus for thousands of years.

Democrats are for regulating and taxing everything which harms small bushiness owners ,engineers ,and doctors. Many of those people are affected are Indians.

Bill Clinton was one modern Democrat though who was an exception to all the things above as during his presidency he basically had an Republican Economic agenda

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 03:35:52 PM »

I am not Indian, but my parents immigrated from there before I was born. They're Americans as well now, but they are still Hindus, and I was raised Hindu as well.

My parents are both independents that hold many Republican views, but still lean Democratic. Hopefully this changes their mind.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 08:34:51 AM »

This is a terrific idea. Practicing Hindus are not a naturally liberal constituency, and much of the Indian diaspora (from what I understand) hold fairly conservative views both on social and fiscal matters. The Tories in Canada and the UK figured this out a long time ago and it has obviously paid dividends for them. I won't hold my breath for the GOP down here to do the same, even though it would help them enormously in states like Virginia.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:04:42 AM »

Are most Indians in the U.S. Gujaratis?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »

Are most Indians in the U.S. Gujaratis?

I wouldn't say most but a majority are either Gujarati or Punjabi. Tech workers and Phd students on the other hand come from all over India. Techies tend to be more South Indian though. Gujaratis and Puniabis tend to be more your stereotypical small business owners but their kids have more varied professions. They are also the groups that have been in the U.S. the longest.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 03:47:55 PM »

It'll be an interesting case study to see how liberals react if this is at all successful; it might be fun to see racist Democratic roots revive themselves if Indian-Americans start voting Republican! Smiley

It started years ago. I remember a few years watching lib commenters at HuffPo go on and on about how Bobby Jindal believed in the Caste system and how Nikki Haley cowardly converted to Christianity. You see, because they don't kneel at the altar of intersectionalism, its OK to attack them with stereotypes.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 11:03:06 PM »

Was it wrong of me to assume that (at least a slim) majority of Indians already voted Republican?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »

Why do Indian-Americans vote Democratic in the first place?
pikachu
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »

I guess this is a good thing for the GOP, but the states and districts with sizable Indian populations (Bay area, North Jersey, Queens among others) are way out the GOP's reach for other reasons and flipping the Indian population, which I don't think is particularly possible with the current state of the party, probably wouldn't make much of difference. It'd probably help first if prominent Indian-American Republicans (aka Bobby Jindal) didn't seem like they wished they weren't Indian... (Just an anecdote, but his comments on not wanting to be called an Indian-American were not taken well by the Indians in my community.) 
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 02:10:14 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2015, 02:11:45 PM by DavidB. »

I guess this is a good thing for the GOP, but the states and districts with sizable Indian populations (Bay area, North Jersey, Queens among others) are way out the GOP's reach for other reasons and flipping the Indian population, which I don't think is particularly possible with the current state of the party, probably wouldn't make much of difference. It'd probably help first if prominent Indian-American Republicans (aka Bobby Jindal) didn't seem like they wished they weren't Indian... (Just an anecdote, but his comments on not wanting to be called an Indian-American were not taken well by the Indians in my community.)  
Jindal's "immigration without assimilation is invasion" might have been the most cringeworthy oneliner I heard this year.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »

Was it wrong of me to assume that (at least a slim) majority of Indians already voted Republican?

Yes.  Obama won at least 70% of the Indian-American vote (and that's a conservative estimate).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »

Well, considering that the US only has two parties: the Democratic party and the White party - they do not have that much choice, really.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »

I'm guessing that a party that's hostile to immigrants wouldn't be attractive to a group which has arrived fairly recently, and coming in greater number now, and doesn't have many people who are more than two generations removed from that first arrival. Also, for the most socially conservative Indians, a party that says its social conservatism is explicitly Judeo-Christian is very alienating. I can't imagine someone is able to be enthusiastic about both the BJP and Republican party at the same time for that reason. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 02:15:03 AM »

I'm guessing that a party that's hostile to immigrants wouldn't be attractive to a group which has arrived fairly recently, and coming in greater number now, and doesn't have many people who are more than two generations removed from that first arrival. Also, for the most socially conservative Indians, a party that says its social conservatism is explicitly Judeo-Christian is very alienating. I can't imagine someone is able to be enthusiastic about both the BJP and Republican party at the same time for that reason. 

Majority of Republican poilticians arent hostile to immigration they are just opposed to ILLEGAL immigration. But the media keeps parroting this lie over and over again, just like how they took Romney self deportation thing out of context(he said corporations would be fined heavily if they hired illegals and he would end all public benefits to them) , which he said that would force illegals to leave the country and would have to come here legally or stay here without a job or benefits. He was also for making being here legally easier as he said people who get a college degree should have green cards attached to it. But you guys will keep parroting this myth that the GOP is against immigrants when it only an extremist fringe element of the party who believes that.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:13 AM »

The media keeps telling the GOP is against LEGAL IMMIGRATION which is a lie
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 04:05:00 AM »

The examples Republicans bring up when they talk about the ills of illegal immigration tend to denigrate immigrants in general, and the policies they advocate often make life more difficult for ethnic minorities, even those who are legal immigrants or natural born citizens.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies