Indians form Republican Hindu Coalition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:05:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indians form Republican Hindu Coalition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Indians form Republican Hindu Coalition  (Read 4504 times)
pikachu
United States

« on: September 24, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »

I guess this is a good thing for the GOP, but the states and districts with sizable Indian populations (Bay area, North Jersey, Queens among others) are way out the GOP's reach for other reasons and flipping the Indian population, which I don't think is particularly possible with the current state of the party, probably wouldn't make much of difference. It'd probably help first if prominent Indian-American Republicans (aka Bobby Jindal) didn't seem like they wished they weren't Indian... (Just an anecdote, but his comments on not wanting to be called an Indian-American were not taken well by the Indians in my community.) 
pikachu
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »

Why do Indian-Americans vote Democratic in the first place?

I'm guessing that a party that's hostile to immigrants wouldn't be attractive to a group which has arrived fairly recently, and coming in greater number now, and doesn't have many people who are more than two generations removed from that first arrival. Also, for the most socially conservative Indians, a party that says its social conservatism is explicitly Judeo-Christian is very alienating. I can't imagine someone is able to be enthusiastic about both the BJP and Republican party at the same time for that reason. 
pikachu
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »

Like I said before, there's a very good argument to made that a party which has many politicians who prides themselves for being Christian is going to alienate a primarily non-Christian ethnic group. Until they ditch or severely downplay that, they're going to struggle.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »

There's no way Hinduism has one of the lowest conversion rates in the United States. No one born in the United States actually practices that religion; they all turnout as atheists/agnostics/apatheists/whatever. With such a wholesale rejection of Hinduism ('rejection' isn't really the right word, since the attitude is too apathetic to be construed as such) I don't know how you can arrive at the conclusion that Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal are somehow unique in terms of defying their cultural heritage of whatever.

Sure I see a lot of Indians born in the states who don't practice Hinduism, me being an example I suppose, but I've yet to meet anyone who's actually converted to Christianity. Because of that Christianity, I think that Haley and Jindal are unique.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies