Constitutional Convention - Commentary thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:47:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Constitutional Convention - Commentary thread.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Constitutional Convention - Commentary thread.  (Read 14124 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »
« edited: September 22, 2015, 08:58:59 AM by Speaker Cris »

Today, the most senior Senator (PiT) will open the thread for the signing-in of the delegates.
In the next days, the people will elect 15 delegates. The Senate will select another 5 delegates from the parties that registered with the SoFE. With the 5 Senators selected by the Senate itself (the vote will close today), there will be 25 delegates.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »

So independents are being shut out, once again?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »

Absolutely not.
15 delegates (60% of total) will be elected by the regions and all people (including independents) had time to declare their candidacy.

There are many people (including you) that declared candidacy after the deadline, so I'm not sure you'll be included in the ballot.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »

Absolutely not.
15 delegates (60% of total) will be elected by the regions and all people (including independents) had time to declare their candidacy.

There are many people (including you) that declared candidacy after the deadline, so I'm not sure you'll be included in the ballot.
Who came up with the idea of giving Senate the ability to pick almost half of the members? Oh wait, let me guess: Senate.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »

Absolutely not.

Who came up with the idea of giving Senate the ability to pick almost half of the members? Oh wait, let me guess: Senate.

This is the worst Senate in Atlasian history, Tmth. Nothing surprising. They're also currently trying to illegally and unconstitutionally usurp the President's power after the fact.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2015, 03:32:38 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Here's a novel idea.

How about more input from, oh, I don't know, maybe from THE PEOPLE!

Pass an AMENDMENT in the Senate increasing the number of delegates from 25 to 31, so there will be 10 from the Senate, 21 from THE PEOPLE, so THE PEOPLE have more input.

Four of the 21 delegates elected by the people are to be independents.

Duh!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »

Here's a novel idea.

Pass an AMENDMENT in the Senate increasing the number of delegates from 25 to 31, so there will be 10 from the Senate, 21 from THE PEOPLE, so THE PEOPLE have more input.

Duh!
Won't 2/3s be required to pass anything? That should have been the ratio, not 60/40. Now the Senate can block something if they don't like it. And they get to select which partisan members get into there? Sounds like cronyism to me!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 03:36:07 PM »

Here's a novel idea.

Duh!
Theres a thing with an Admendment the ConCon has already started its too late.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »

Here's a novel idea.

Duh!
Won't 2/3s be required to pass anything? That should have been the ratio, not 60/40. Now the Senate can block something if they don't like it. And they get to select which partisan members get into there? Sounds like cronyism to me!

Cronyism is good term to describe these events.

Perhaps the first resolution to be passed at the Con Con should be that the Senate must represent the best interests of the people of Atlasia, not their own.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 03:45:15 PM »

Here's a novel idea.

Duh!
Theres a thing with an Admendment the ConCon has already started its too late.

It is NEVER too late for DEMOCRACY my friend!
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »

Here's a novel idea.

Duh!

No, it requires 3/5.
The Senate inserted the partisan selection only because the electorate was more balanced toward a party than the registered voters numbers.
Also... the Senate already selected their 5 delegates and considered that the partisan delegates will not be Senators ( they might be, but it's unlikely)... the Senate will be represented 5/25, that's only 20%.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »

Here's a novel idea.

Duh!

No, it requires 3/5.
The Senate inserted the partisan selection only because the electorate was more balanced toward a party than the registered voters numbers.

this is such bad logic. if you have a group of people that is unbalanced politically (let's say, for example, seven right-wingers, two left-wingers and a centrist) the best way to balance that group is by adding people unbalanced in the opposite way (7-1-2 + 0-7-5 = 7-8-7), not by adding a balanced group of people (7-1-2 + 4-4-4 = 11-5-6)

You must be logged in to read this quote.
the senate is choosing them unilaterally, is the point.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 04:02:58 PM »

^ Still better than random selection.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 06:29:15 PM »

Can everybody just calm down for a minute? Seriously, nobody is trying to set themselves up as dictator and nobody is being robbed of representation.

FACT: 60% of the delegates will be chosen directly by the people (as opposed to by the Regional governments or by some random selection process as Evergreen proposed).

FACT: There is no rule preventing non-delegates from making suggestions and lobbying the delegates.

FACT: 100% of Atlasians will be able to vote on whatever the Con-Con comes up with, and 4/5 of the Regions have to vote yes for it to go into effect.

When Classic Conservative started the Con-Con petition, many said that a Con-Con would inevitably fail because Atlasians could never agree on large scale reforms. I said they were wrong at the time; but here we are, arguing over a selection process that most likely will not effect the composition of the convention.

And contrary to what seems to be the dominant opinion here, the Senate is not some power-hungry cabal of evil-doers scheming to get its way. Having the Senate select some of the delegates was intended to make the selection process go more quickly, nothing more. Please stop blowing this out of proportion.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2015, 09:11:36 PM by Governor Leinad »

Yeah, it's funny how some people (Simfan, Bore) were going on about how long elections would take, but now you've got people thinking the Senate is some group of power-hungry maniacs who will shut down any sensible reform (because obviously the Senate thinks and acts as one unit).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 08:29:47 AM »

you are holding a FORTY-EIGHT HOUR ELECTION FOR CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION DELEGATES AFTER GIVING VIRTUALLY NO NOTICE ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF A DELEGATE SELECTION PROCESS

I CAN'T EVEN WITH YOU PEOPLE

THIS MAKES ME FEEL SO ALLCAPS, GUYS.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »

you are holding a FORTY-EIGHT HOUR ELECTION FOR CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION DELEGATES AFTER GIVING VIRTUALLY NO NOTICE ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF A DELEGATE SELECTION PROCESS

THIS MAKES ME FEEL SO ALLCAPS, GUYS.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.
That's not true. I created this thread on September 17.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=219317.0
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »

Ah.  Excellent.  4 days notice.  I feel much better that our Senate overlords kindly allowed us a single solitary weekend to contemplate this idea and debate the issues and a generous 48 hours to vote for the candidates of their our choosing.  YOU WILL REGRET THIS.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2015, 08:57:02 AM by Speaker Cris »

THIS MAKES ME FEEL SO ALLCAPS, GUYS.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.  YOU ARE PATHETIC.

Ah.  Excellent.  4 days notice.  I feel much better that our Senate overlords kindly allowed us a single solitary weekend to contemplate this idea and debate the issues and a generous 48 hours to vote for the candidates of their our choosing.  YOU WILL REGRET THIS.
If you didn't check the thread and declared your candidacy, I'm sorry but it's not our fault.
And let me say, I'm a bit tired of criticisms on all things.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 08:59:33 AM »

I'd like to keep this thread as an informative and commentary thread.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 05:11:29 PM »

Why are the NNP and independent delegates going to be selected by the Senate? There are no independent or NNP Senators in the chamber, so that is highly undemocratic. I would encourage the Senate to allow the party to select their delegate and then confirm that individual. The Senate has already decided 5 delegates from their own ranks; why should they get to decide another 5 when those appointments are supposedly reserved for the parties?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »

I agree with ilikeverin that this has all been horribly managed so far to say the least.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »

We may have been a little excited to get on with this.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 06:33:09 PM »

To Talleyrand's concern: if NNP has a particular candidate in mind for delegate, I would be more than happy to defer to the party's judgement and nominate/support that person in the Senate.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »

Proposal to elect delegates? OHMYGOD THIS IS TAKING SOOOO LONG THIS IS THE WORST SENATE IN HISTORY!!!!11!!!1!

Proposal to have some of the delegates appointed? OHMYGOD THIS IS SOOOO UNDEMOCRATIC THIS IS THE WORST SENATE IN HISTORY!!!!1!1!!!1!!!!11!!

Proposal to have some of the delegates chosen by the parties themselves? OHMYGOD THIS IS SOOOO PARTISAN THIS IS THE WORST SENATE IN HISTORY!!!!!11!!11!!!!!

Proposal to have party-based delegates chosen, instead, by the senate? OHMYGOD THIS IS SOOOO UNDEMOCRATIC THIS IS THE WORST SENATE IN HISTORY!!!!!1!!!1!!!

My point: I think people just want to complain. Cris, Truman, and the rest of the Senate have done a fine job with the convention so far. It's hard to please everyone, especially when a frighteningly large faction have no interest in seeing the game succeed and just want to discourage the only functioning part of the federal government.

Just calm down everyone. Deep cleansing breaths.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies