Day 21: Benin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:35:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 21: Benin
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 21: Benin  (Read 1083 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2015, 06:44:49 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin

Officially Francophone African state. A one-time Marxist-Leninist dictatorship. Its now (democratically elected) is an evangelical Protestant convert from Islam. A lot of American slaves came from here. I know very little about Benin.

Below is a crude map of African regions as understood by Europeans in the 18th Century

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »

It looks like Yayi Boni will not try and change the constitution so he can run for a third term next year. So a win for Benin!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 12:47:01 PM »

Bumping to ask: what is the deal with the shapes of Benin and its neighbour Togo? They are so thin! It's weird
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2015, 12:58:14 PM by Alex »

Bumping to ask: what is the deal with the shapes of Benin and its neighbour Togo? They are so thin! It's weird
https://books.google.com.ar/books?id=bqGKAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=togo+benin+shape&source=bl&ots=qliUVqlTzQ&sig=Uzxv6U46bKOyLQU9ZXtBw47Gxhs&hl=es-419&sa=X&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAmoVChMIusm9teqhyAIVyo-QCh0SywDT#v=onepage&q=togo%20benin%20shape&f=false
(This only applies to Togo, TL;DR -German Togoland was divided vertically between France (Togo) and the British (now Eastern Ghana))
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »

One of the more intriguing African countries in my opinion.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »

Kerekou is dead.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2015, 08:35:56 PM by Simfan34 »

I had meant to post this, but now I feel like I can't say anything without sounding superfluous. I guess I'll just add that it's depressing that was 32 years (or so) until an African leader actually lost re-election. Or, more accurately, let themselves lose. The list of such leaders, off the top of my head, remains pitifully short-- there's Kerekou, Abdou Diouf and then (again!) Abdoulaye Wade in Senegal, Hastings Banda in Malawi, Kenneth Kaunda in Zambia, Moncef Marzouki in Tunisia, and--in  where you'd least expect it-- Goodluck Jonathan in Nigeria. I think that's just about it. Just them.

A distinction should probably be made, though, between people like Diouf and Goodluck who were genuine democrats (although I feel weird saying something positive about Goodluck Jonathan), and people like Banda, Kerekou, or Kaunda, who were essentially forced to hold competitive elections, and  rather than step down and retire with a degree of dignity, presumably had by then bought into their own propaganda and so chose to run yet again.

I suppose one could also include several Mauritian Prime Ministers--although I think it's mainly just two people switching back and forth like Disraeli and Gladstone--but they don't count because they're in the middle of the ocean and are all a bunch of French-speaking Indians anyway.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:52:16 PM »

Mauritius, though, seriously-- I decided to look up what this actually looked like, and... it was just something else (although my connection is bad, so I couldn't really understand it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo36m31ghEY

The place seems like something out of an alternate history. Another video has a title that distills it down to a short sentence: "Le discours de Sir Anerood Jugnauth".

But I guess I should save this all for when we actually get to Mauritius. Wink
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 01:10:58 AM »

I had meant to post this, but now I feel like I can't say anything without sounding superfluous. I guess I'll just add that it's depressing that was 32 years (or so) until an African leader actually lost re-election. Or, more accurately, let themselves lose. The list of such leaders, off the top of my head, remains pitifully short-- there's Kerekou, Abdou Diouf and then (again!) Abdoulaye Wade in Senegal, Hastings Banda in Malawi, Kenneth Kaunda in Zambia, Moncef Marzouki in Tunisia, and--in  where you'd least expect it-- Goodluck Jonathan in Nigeria. I think that's just about it. Just them.

There's also, from recent years, Joyce Banda in Malawi and Rupiah Banda in Zambia.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 03:39:34 AM »

Denis Sassou Nguesso let himself lose in the Republic of Congo one time.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »

There's also, from recent years, Joyce Banda in Malawi and Rupiah Banda in Zambia.

Yes, of course! Of all the people I could forget, you'd think Joyce Banda would not be one of them...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies