Will Walker run for re-election in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:44:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Walker run for re-election in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Walker run for re-election in 2018?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Will Walker run for re-election in 2018?  (Read 3986 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »

Do you think that Scott Walker will run for re-election as Governor of Wisconsin in 2018? He isn't term limited.
JMT

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »

I think he will. He might as well. He'll want to stay relevant and keep the option open to run for president again, so I think he'll run for reelection.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »

I hope he runs and loses, so he can finally lose a gubernatorial election. I have a feeling he won't run though.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »

I'll go ahead and guess his approvals now are in the high 20s low 30s. So no, he's doomed if he runs and he won't run.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 11:49:53 AM »

If there is a Democratic president: Yes, so he is relevant to run in 2020

If there is a Republican president: No, he will be in the cabinet or the VP
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:03:05 PM »

Literally no reason for the GOP Nominee to do either of those things: Walker is damaged goods.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 01:53:06 PM »

I think Walker is one of those goody two-shoes politicians that present there are term-limits for no reason, so no, he'll retire and hand the reigns over to his LG or Duffy or someone.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »

Secretary of Labor Scott Walker
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »

It depends. If, as Maxwell said, his approvals are too low, he won't run. However he may run and lose. When it comes to Governors, its really that "third term inch" rather than a 6 year inch. I suspect he'll have a massively contested and competitive race.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »

It depends. If, as Maxwell said, his approvals are too low, he won't run. However he may run and lose. When it comes to Governors, its really that "third term inch" rather than a 6 year inch. I suspect he'll have a massively contested and competitive race.

As you're on the ground in WI, who do you think the Democrats would run in 2018 (regardless of Walker seeking reelection)?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:03:58 PM »

His approvals now aren't really a big concern no matter what they are.  2018 is so far away.  The next President will be two years into his/her term by then!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »

As you're on the ground in WI, who do you think the Democrats would run in 2018 (regardless of Walker seeking reelection)?

People likely to run include Lena Taylor, Peter Barca, Kathleen Falk. Falk probably wouldn't win the nomination, Barca is really just a boring suit and Lena Taylor is insane and could easily turn a Democratic win into a loss, and I suspect she would want to run.

If the Democrats want to win they should nominate someone who might resonate with the rest of the state. They could probably easily win with Abele though he probably couldn't win the nomination with being handed the reigns of MPS and selling all county land except parks and O'Donnell park. County Board is useless and I'm glad they don't have much power anymore (imagine the most useless politicians from both sides in one body and that's what you have) and the teachers union is going crazy over it too, even though they've been worthless and haven't done anything in 20+ years so he's out.

Other people who could probably win and wouldn't be awful would be Jennifer Schilling (D-La Crosse), Kathleen Vinehout (D-Alma), Jon Erpenbach (D-Madison) but they would probably all be long shots.

I suspect Walker doesn't run, and if he doesn't it's going to be a bitter fight between Vos and Fitzgerald.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 11:17:57 PM »

I'm not on the ground in WI and would defer to MasterJedi, but my instinct is that Walker runs if there is a Democratic President and doesn't if a Republican is elected, whether he becomes part of the administration or not.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 11:23:40 PM »

People likely to run include Lena Taylor, Peter Barca, Kathleen Falk. Falk probably wouldn't win the nomination, Barca is really just a boring suit and Lena Taylor is insane and could easily turn a Democratic win into a loss, and I suspect she would want to run.

If the Democrats want to win they should nominate someone who might resonate with the rest of the state. They could probably easily win with Abele though he probably couldn't win the nomination with being handed the reigns of MPS and selling all county land except parks and O'Donnell park. County Board is useless and I'm glad they don't have much power anymore (imagine the most useless politicians from both sides in one body and that's what you have) and the teachers union is going crazy over it too, even though they've been worthless and haven't done anything in 20+ years so he's out.

Other people who could probably win and wouldn't be awful would be Jennifer Schilling (D-La Crosse), Kathleen Vinehout (D-Alma), Jon Erpenbach (D-Madison) but they would probably all be long shots.

I suspect Walker doesn't run, and if he doesn't it's going to be a bitter fight between Vos and Fitzgerald.

I followed the whole Bucks situation (being a long-bitter SuperSonics fan and all) and Lena Taylor would be an unmitigated disaster as a Democratic nominee. Abele seems (unfortunately) like the likeliest choice to me, but Wisconsinites obviously know much more about the state's political situation than I.

Could one of the Vos/Fitzgerald pair challenge Baldwin and the other run for Gov?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 07:00:49 AM »

How about House members like Kind or Moore?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »

Lol at the idea of Walker becoming secretary of Labor, it's too divisive and would be a major middle finger for organised labor even from a Republican President, along with the fact that Walker is a politician. It's similar to Kerry appoinitng someone like Dean to state in 2004.

And no, I can't see him running in 2018
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 08:24:12 AM »

As someone who likes all there, those would all be horrible choices. I agree that Chris Abele, Schilling, Vinehout, and Erpenbach would be better choices. Vinehout had a decent following in 2014, before having to drop out for health reasons. I have a feeling Congressman Ron Kind would consider running, but he's too close to big business for me personally. Outagamie County Executive Tom Nelson is another name I've heard thrown out there.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »

How about House members like Kind or Moore?

Honestly forgot about both of them. Kind could probably run and win, but the big question is, does he want to? Moore frankly is a moron. She would be a disaster if she ran for the party.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moore or Taylor made a try for it. Taylor especially I could see which would be an unmitigated disaster for the Dems.

No matter who the Dems choose I want someone who isn't openly hostile towards Milwaukee where all the development and progress is occurring downtown. Their problem hasn't been that, but the ambivalence and tendency to focus on Madison over Milwaukee which I think is a mistake.

If I had to choose a Democrat to win I'd personally prefer Abele but besides that Schilling or Vinehout would be my next choices. If they nominate someone normal (not insane like Taylor), not an idiot like Moore), (not a blank suit like Barca), or (not someone irrelevant like Burke or Falk) they have a very good chance to win the election.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »

Hes going to run for reelection even if his approval rating is in the 20s. Hes the consummate egoist, and he has a faith in miracles.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »

Hes going to run for reelection even if his approval rating is in the 20s. Hes the consummate egoist, and he has a faith in miracles.

Also, he proved outside of Madison he wasnt a natl figure. Most voters outside of Madison have GOP gov fatigue, as did the voters after 2010 had Dem gov fatigue. He should ride into sunset and leave politics altogether as Dems are gonna debunk these GOP govs in 2018 like Walker & Rauner and finally win the OH governorship with Tim Ryan
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »

Surely the presumed candidate in 2018 is Priebus?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »

I doubt it right now. Of course by 2018 things could change a lot but I think Walker has made the large changes he wanted in Wisconsin and will finish out as a bit of a lame duck.

I think Walker isn't quite the scary monster some have made him out to be. I think instead he is a fairly normal guy (albeit with some very conservative views) who sees the writing on the wall.

Also, he could use a gig that pays well as he has not become wealthy from his political career (which is either a sign that he's not good with money or a sign that he's simply not on the take). If an opportunity presents itself, he would probably take it I think. He has some debts to pay off still.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 05:58:03 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2015, 04:11:45 PM by pbrower2a »

Also, he proved outside of Madison he wasnt a natl figure. Most voters outside of Madison have GOP gov fatigue, as did the voters after 2010 had Dem gov fatigue. He should ride into sunset and leave politics altogether as Dems are gonna debunk these GOP govs in 2018 like Walker & Rauner and finally win the OH governorship with Tim Ryan

Walker's base is the suburbs of Milwaukee and rural Wisconsin.  
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »

Walker's successor as County Executuve in Milwaukee, I notice, is a democrat. Could he run?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »

Walker's successor as County Executuve in Milwaukee, I notice, is a democrat. Could he run?

No. Walker's tenure as MKE County Executive required him to be a good-governance figure who transcended partisan lines. That is far beyond shot at this point.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies