South America Parliament Speaker Barnes to address Senate on Thursday.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:27:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  South America Parliament Speaker Barnes to address Senate on Thursday.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: South America Parliament Speaker Barnes to address Senate on Thursday.  (Read 1445 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 03:22:01 AM »

God this is beyond parody, let's hear what the Speaker Barnes has to say. He's been a great Speaker for the New Parliament and has been a leading force in ensuring the parliament stays strong
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 06:28:39 AM »

this senate generally is
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 08:07:49 AM »

God this is beyond parody, let's hear what the Speaker Barnes has to say. He's been a great Speaker for the New Parliament and has been a leading force in ensuring the parliament stays strong

Are you speaking as Atlasian officeholder, South American officeholder, Atlasian citizen or South American citizen?

You know, you have so many masks I don't know which one is one.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »

Are you speaking as Atlasian officeholder, South American officeholder, Atlasian citizen or South American citizen?

I imagine that permitting dual citizenship will be a point of negotiation between our nations.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 02:38:06 PM »

Speaker Cris, Honorable Senators,

I am very pleased to be standing here in the Senate of Atlasia today.  To my knowledge, I am the first representative of a foreign nation to personally address this body in its history; I acknowledge that fact and am very grateful for the kindness of Speaker Cris in inviting me here.

I am obviously aware of the degree of controversy that my remarks have suddenly brought.  I am sorry that such a situation was ever allowed to come about, as it was neither my desire or intention to do so.  The amount of protest directed at me was, in my opinion, rather odd as I am not here in the role of a diplomat or of a government minister.

Just as Speaker Cris spoke to the South American Parliament as a representative of your Senate, so do I speak to you as a representative of the Parliament.  I do not have any authority or power in the political sphere in my role as Speaker; however, I am tasked with representing the Parliament and working for its best interests.

I firmly believe that that includes establishing a cordial forum of communication and exchange between our two legislative bodies.  In South America's parliamentary system, the Parliament itself is central and paramount within our constitutional arrangement.  The government is formed from the Parliament's ranks and it must always be able to command the Parliament's confidence.

The Senate of Atlasia is based on very different principles and constitutional design.  You have the important duty of placing reasonable checks on the executive as well as forming your own legislative agenda.  I am not here to judge one system over the other, and indeed I feel that these constitutional differences, while important, tend to distract us from a larger purpose and goal.   

The simple reality is that South America exists.  I think that is a fact that we can all accept here as I certainly know it has been a avid topic of conversation both in your country and in mine!  By allowing me to speak to you today, you have already made an acknowledgement of my country's existence.

Beyond that simple fact, there is a broad array of what should come next in our relations.  That is not for me to prophesy or to proclaim as again I have no ability to do so in my position.  But what I can do is say simply that we truly want to work together and collaborate constructively with you.

It would be foolish to say that our governments will always agree on specific matters - we are both independent nations who must be able to set our own way.  However, it is equally incorrect to think that such disagreements would not be a worthy exercise.  Neither of our countries wish to become a mere echo chamber for the other - I know we all believe that.  Rather, let us be able to increase the level of debate over diplomatic and legislative issues that address our two nations.

Think of the possibilities that can exist between two fully-functioning games.  As I said there will be many disagreements I am sure, but would that not add to the excitement of this experiment?  Would it not allow for an exchange of competing interests and beliefs that has never before existed in your history? 

I acknowledge also that you are presently in the process of holding a Constitutional Convention to renew your democratic institutions and inspire a new sense of purpose and activity among your people.  Think of this chance as part of that process.  I truly believe that by having our nations begin a process of diplomatic recognition as you undergo this constitutional process will be truly beneficial to both of our structures of representative government.   

I truly understand the apprehension that has been exhibited by some in Atlasia towards this process.  As I said before this is a unique event in your history, and I respect your desire to study it.  There will be much work ahead, and it will surely be difficult, but if I may speak directly to those who do not wish to begin that work: just take a chance.  See what possibilities might await us as we make this journey.

Do not deny yourself this chance before you cross the first hurdle.

I can assure there are many interesting and exciting days ahead.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »

I imagine that permitting dual citizenship will be a point of negotiation between our nations.

I don't mind dual citizenship at all, but holding governments positions in tho games simultaneously is an invitation for conflict of interest to happen.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »

Thank-you, Mr. Speaker, for that thoughtful and respectful address. I only hope that the citizens of our two nations can come to approach this turning point in our history as clearly and sensibly as you have just explained it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »

Speaker Cris, Honorable Senators,

I am very pleased to be standing here in the Senate of Atlasia today.  To my knowledge, I am the first representative of a foreign nation to personally address this body in its history; I acknowledge that fact and am very grateful for the kindness of Speaker Cris in inviting me here.

I am obviously aware of the degree of controversy that my remarks have suddenly brought.  I am sorry that such a situation was ever allowed to come about, as it was neither my desire or intention to do so.  The amount of protest directed at me was, in my opinion, rather odd as I am not here in the role of a diplomat or of a government minister.

Just as Speaker Cris spoke to the South American Parliament as a representative of your Senate, so do I speak to you as a representative of the Parliament.  I do not have any authority or power in the political sphere in my role as Speaker; however, I am tasked with representing the Parliament and working for its best interests.

I firmly believe that that includes establishing a cordial forum of communication and exchange between our two legislative bodies.  In South America's parliamentary system, the Parliament itself is central and paramount within our constitutional arrangement.  The government is formed from the Parliament's ranks and it must always be able to command the Parliament's confidence.

The Senate of Atlasia is based on very different principles and constitutional design.  You have the important duty of placing reasonable checks on the executive as well as forming your own legislative agenda.  I am not here to judge one system over the other, and indeed I feel that these constitutional differences, while important, tend to distract us from a larger purpose and goal.  

The simple reality is that South America exists.  I think that is a fact that we can all accept here as I certainly know it has been a avid topic of conversation both in your country and in mine!  By allowing me to speak to you today, you have already made an acknowledgement of my country's existence.

Beyond that simple fact, there is a broad array of what should come next in our relations.  That is not for me to prophesy or to proclaim as again I have no ability to do so in my position.  But what I can do is say simply that we truly want to work together and collaborate constructively with you.

It would be foolish to say that our governments will always agree on specific matters - we are both independent nations who must be able to set our own way.  However, it is equally incorrect to think that such disagreements would not be a worthy exercise.  Neither of our countries wish to become a mere echo chamber for the other - I know we all believe that.  Rather, let us be able to increase the level of debate over diplomatic and legislative issues that address our two nations.

Think of the possibilities that can exist between two fully-functioning games.  As I said there will be many disagreements I am sure, but would that not add to the excitement of this experiment?  Would it not allow for an exchange of competing interests and beliefs that has never before existed in your history?  

I acknowledge also that you are presently in the process of holding a Constitutional Convention to renew your democratic institutions and inspire a new sense of purpose and activity among your people.  Think of this chance as part of that process.  I truly believe that by having our nations begin a process of diplomatic recognition as you undergo this constitutional process will be truly beneficial to both of our structures of representative government.  

I truly understand the apprehension that has been exhibited by some in Atlasia towards this process.  As I said before this is a unique event in your history, and I respect your desire to study it.  There will be much work ahead, and it will surely be difficult, but if I may speak directly to those who do not wish to begin that work: just take a chance.  See what possibilities might await us as we make this journey.

Do not deny yourself this chance before you cross the first hurdle.

I can assure there are many interesting and exciting days ahead.

From the gallery:  Bravo!  Bravo!
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 04:48:21 PM »

Thank-you, Mr. Speaker, for that thoughtful and respectful address. I only hope that the citizens of our two nations can come to approach this turning point in our history as clearly and sensibly as you have just explained it.

It is such a shame that several members of the Senate could not be here today. We can only hope that next time the President will lock the doors.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »

I don't mind dual citizenship at all, but holding governments positions in tho games simultaneously is an invitation for conflict of interest to happen.

I am glad you decided to attend after all, Senator. Smiley

And wonderful, passionate speech, Speaker Barnes! You and Speaker Cris have created an excellent model for Atlasian-South American relations.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »

Oh cry me a river
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »

I am glad you decided to attend after all, Senator. Smiley

I entered after the whole event was over Tongue

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 05:04:07 PM »

Oh cry me a river

I only wish you'd put as much efforts in running the Home Affairs Department as in begin a mouthpiece for the Mock Parliament here Sad
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »

Oh cry me a river

I only wish you'd put as much efforts in running the Home Affairs Department as in begin a mouthpiece for the Mock Parliament here Sad

I've put plenty of effort into it, you can even look over my Agenda if you want

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=219025.0
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »

That is exactly my concern. Considering that we are ultimately a small group playing these two countries, it is conceivable that someone could end up in positions of high power in both governments. Whether they could be trusted to remain loyal to the Republic of Atlasia in foreign policy matters is something we need to consider.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »

That is exactly my concern. Considering that we are ultimately a small group playing these two countries, it is conceivable that someone could end up in positions of high power in both governments. Whether they could be trusted to remain loyal to the Republic of Atlasia in foreign policy matters is something we need to consider.

I actually think SA got this one right: ban foreign officeholders from becoming president or SoEA (I'd throw in the GM as well), but permit them to hold lower-level offices.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 06:34:50 PM »

I actually think SA got this one right: ban foreign officeholders from becoming president or SoEA (I'd throw in the GM as well), but permit them to hold lower-level offices.

That sounds reasonable. Maybe also AG, given the witch hunt potential that has recently been demonstrated there.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2015, 02:51:20 AM »

Excellent speech, Speaker Barnes (which I assume should be pronounced "Barn-ez" given that you're in South America)!

I was sadly not able to attend, as I was instead attending the ConConConcert here in Atlanta, but I saw it live via the big screens around the stage, and it got applause from many people in attendance, including myself.

South America isn't perfect, there is certainly a vocal minority that is irrational with their loathing of Atlasia, but Barnes is not a member of that minority, but a reasonable person who I think will be air particles (bare with me) in the wind that will blow away the clouds to reveal a dawn on a sunny relationship between our two nations.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2015, 06:56:19 AM »

Thank you Mr. Speaker.
Excellent speech.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »

Thank you for your inspiring words, Speaker Barnes. May they resonate among all of our people.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2015, 04:38:08 AM »

I thank the honorable Speaker Barnes for his remarks before the chamber, and hope that we can indeed establish the kind of postitive relationship between our two great countries and games that he so eloquently envisioned.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies