Day 22: Bhutan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:59:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 22: Bhutan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Day 22: Bhutan  (Read 1035 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »

Consider our discussion of border contrasts regarding Belgium, I would like to submit this photo of the Indo-Bhutanese border as further evidence. India is on the right:

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »

Yup, that's the disadvantages I was talking about. I should say that Bhutan is a little too paranoid. If India wanted to take over Bhutan they would have done so already. It's no China, you know?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »

All I knew about Bhutan before this thread was the Gross National Happiness thing and the fact that the king looks exactly like an Asian Elvis, so all of this discussion is really interesting.

And it'd be an oversight to not point out that the Queen is rather easy on the eyes herself:

(It remains to be seen if he'll be a polygamist like dad, however)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »

(It remains to be seen if he'll be a polygamist like dad, however)

Seems unlikely. Their polygamous tradition is almost exclusively sister marriage. His dad is married to four sisters, Jetsun Pema only has two sisters and the eldest is married to the King's brother. Her younger sister is said to be highly intelligent and ambitious, not really wife #2 material + she is only 16, so the age difference would be large. Even in this context. The grandfather wasn't a polygamist, but the great grandfather had two consorts. The most natural would be to move on from polygamy along with ongoing modernization. Also given that the Queen has a modern outlook and a Western university education.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »

Is it a good thing that Bhutanese students will never have a chance to attend an IIT and get a well paying job connected with the outside world, or even get to visit/work outside of the subcontinent?

I've met Bhutanese students in the United States, actually, although they may have been exceptional cases.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 03:03:22 PM »

Is it a good thing that Bhutanese students will never have a chance to attend an IIT and get a well paying job connected with the outside world, or even get to visit/work outside of the subcontinent?

I've met Bhutanese students in the United States, actually, although they may have been exceptional cases.

I have met many Bhutanese too, when I was living in Nashville. Most were refugees.......
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 03:12:47 PM »

I have met many Bhutanese too, when I was living in Nashville. Most were refugees.......

The ones I met were pointedly not refugees--as in they specified so--but the fact that they needed to specify so is...worrying...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »

Oh, and for some reason Bhutan is completely covered by Google Street View. Which is especially remarkable when you consider that 15 years ago, television was illegal.

I spent a few hours "exploring" the country this way one evening. Really would like to know how it happened.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/03/14/google-street-view-bhutan/

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sounds like they're shifting to be more supportive of tourism

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies