Day 22: Bhutan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:27:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 22: Bhutan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 22: Bhutan  (Read 1049 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: September 23, 2015, 12:34:03 AM »

I mean, basic property rights should generally be respected, unless there is a compelling public need for such a collective use of such property - and obviously in no instance should the government take away someone's land based on their ethnicity.

Is that actually what happened in Sikkim?

No, that is not what happened in Sikkim. There is no proof of that and I don't think Simfan or Politicus would disagree with me.

I can understand their point of view as well. It really depends on whether you think being connected with the outside world is a good thing or not. Is it a good thing that Bhutanese students will never have a chance to attend an IIT and get a well paying job connected with the outside world, or even get to visit/work outside of the subcontinent? Of course being connected with the rest of India also has its disadvantages. There are a lot of pros and cons to weigh.

Also, it should be noted that many of the states in the northeast of India have a lot of autonomy and that is a good thing. And the party in power right now in India is a strong proponent of federalism, including in the northeast (look at the alliance past and present of the BJP). For example, in Meghalaya, even in the capital of Shillong, one cannot buy property without proving that both their grandparents are from Meghalaya. That is the opposite of the local people not having control over their land. Rather, they are allowed to exclude people from their lands, and it is allowed by the Indian government.

Also, many of the separatist movements still left in India are located in the hilly area of Assam. That is because the plains of Assam are populated by the Assamese people and they overwhelmingly dominate the culture and politics of the state as opposed to the tribal people of the hills who are more similar to the Nagas, Khasis, Garos etc. The separatist movements in the other states have mostly died down with greater autonomy. As far as I know the people there are pretty ok with the current situation where they can control their own states. And in any case they are much better off than the people in Bhutan or Tibet.......
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »

Yup, that's the disadvantages I was talking about. I should say that Bhutan is a little too paranoid. If India wanted to take over Bhutan they would have done so already. It's no China, you know?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:03:22 PM »

Is it a good thing that Bhutanese students will never have a chance to attend an IIT and get a well paying job connected with the outside world, or even get to visit/work outside of the subcontinent?

I've met Bhutanese students in the United States, actually, although they may have been exceptional cases.

I have met many Bhutanese too, when I was living in Nashville. Most were refugees.......
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies