Opinion of Christmas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:27:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Christmas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF (R)

FF (D)

HP (R)

HP (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Opinion of Christmas  (Read 1242 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »

?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »

FH
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:09:37 AM »

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:31:38 AM »

Neutral because atheist
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:45:53 AM »

Freedom (Normal)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:05:25 PM »

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »

Massive Freedom Holiday (Normal, sane).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »

Very high.  Today alone, I spent almost 400 dollars.  Spent at least 4 hours at the mall--not counting the road time each way, which normally takes 12 minutes but today took at least 30, each way.  Got the Knex K-Force Land Crawler (motorized), the Psycho Jumper remote-controlled stunt car, the Protocol Dronium One drone with 2.0 MPixel camera, a dart board (with wooden case and six titanium darts), a pair of gloves, six pairs of sox, a foot pedicure kit, Girardeli dark chocolate variety pack (I think that this might be the only thing I bought today made in the United States, except the Indian food I had for lunch at the mall), a hex-bot Series 3 aquafish, a pair of size 8.5 Bladerunner Advantage Pro inline skates, a lap desk with cupholder, a pair of gold earrings with onyx settings, three bottles of wine, and a bottle of vodka.  (Okay, the wine and vodka would have been purchased anyway, every third day, regardless of whether it was the holiday season.)  Of course, closer to Christmas, I'll make an extra special purchase of alcohol, including bubbly and some wines that are very special.  

I'm not usually a fan of hanging out at the mall, but every year at this time I sort of enjoy it.  I get away from my family, my colleagues, and pretty much every one I know.  I didn't have to talk to anyone except the perky, 20-year-old women who work the counters at major retailers.  Best of all, I spend about as much money than the average resident of Burkina Faso earns in 4 months.  Guilt free.  After all, isn't that what Christmas is all about?

I like all holidays--God rest ye merry gentlemen--but I especially like Christmas.  We'll probably get a duck for christmas eve, and soak it in soy sauce, garlic, and vinegar overnight before baking it on the 24th and serving it with copious amounts of rice, vegetables, and alcohol.  Haven't decided on the christmas day victuals, yet, but it's certain to feature pig, rice, and copious amounts of alcohol.  This year, as an added bonus, it's not particularly cold.  It's the third week of December and I have yet to take the shovel out.  It's almost like Christmas in July.  Global warming and consumerism go hand in hand, don't they?  

My only lament is that the boy no longer plays along with the Santa Claus bit.  I mentioned him today and he just rolled his eyes.  He never really went for the whole concept gullible like I did (even in Kindergarten he questioned me thoroughly about the logistics of the exercise), but he played along.  Four or five years ago he'd at least patronize me, "Okay, dad, when you talk to Santa Claus tell him I want..."  Now he has no patience for that.  Ah, well.  Life evolves.

Voted FF.  (would have picked unaffiliated, but as it wasn't an option, I voted FF-D, but I'd be equally comfortable voting FF-R.  Count my vote as one-half each, if you want.)

If I don't see you before then, Merry Christmas!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 11:36:01 PM »

F(avorite)H(oliday)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »

Awful
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 06:54:36 PM »

Amazing day, horrible season.

I love Christmas Day, seeing family and all that. Although, I'm extremely tired of all the Christmas songs and movies and the fact that every company feels the need to redecorate every product they have to make it "seasonal"
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »

My only lament is that the boy no longer plays along with the Santa Claus bit.  I mentioned him today and he just rolled his eyes.  He never really went for the whole concept gullible like I did (even in Kindergarten he questioned me thoroughly about the logistics of the exercise), but he played along.  Four or five years ago he'd at least patronize me, "Okay, dad, when you talk to Santa Claus tell him I want..."  Now he has no patience for that.  Ah, well.  Life evolves.
Your son sounds like a smart kid, so he'll probably apathetically play up the Santa thing until he's like 13. Which means extra presents. I suppose you could reward him for being so crafty (in hindsight, I wish I did that instead of forcing my mom to tell me what I already knew when I was ten), or you could just tell him now and avoid the extra spending. Your call.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

Peace on earth, good will toward all.

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 12:00:42 PM »

Overall there is way too much superficiality and it is way over done. The whole idea of setting aside any day of the year for any holiday is superficial. The hype of all holidays is bad. There is no reason that one day is more important than any other. The hype of Christmas is much worse than all other holidays combined. Genuine good will is ok. If Christmas were contained in one day instead of spilling over all the way to black friday, it wouldn't be so bad. I hate winter so associating winter with Christmas ruins Christmas. Actually the majority of people in the world are not even Christians.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 12:11:26 AM »

This.

Merry Christmas Atlas . Smiley
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 12:33:05 AM »

Love everything about it!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 01:21:30 AM »

It gave us several FOP movies. FH. Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 02:08:18 AM »

FH. My favorite time of year.

The whole idea of setting aside any day of the year for any holiday is superficial. The hype of all holidays is bad. There is no reason that one day is more important than any other.

Not recognizing or respecting the concept of sacred time is one of the most banal and therefore worst forms of human evil. Not actually joking.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 04:50:52 AM »

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Christmas unless they're too poor to afford gifts or grew up poor and their parents couldn't afford anything.  For the rest of us it's our holiday so Merry Christmas! Be sure to decorate somewhere in public so the left gets mad!

You are living proof that evolution is not always successful.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015, 10:40:33 AM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »

It is a holiday designed for children -and it's a lot more fun if you have kids of your own to celebrate it with....   
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »

FF (D). Great time of year. Everything for the most part stops and you get to see people, catch up on old times, drink, eat good food, etc.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »

It is a holiday designed for children -and it's a lot more fun if you have kids of your own to celebrate it with....   

wisdom.

If you had asked me about Christmas between about the ages of 17 and 37 I wouldn't much give a damn one way or the other.  In the early years, of course, it's great fun, then, at middle age it gets fun again.  In the interregnum, it holds little appeal.

I've played with so many toys today.  I get to play with cool toys every day.  Legos, K'nex, remote-control cars, remote-control flying devices, video games, I got on the razor scooter and tooled around the neighborhood while the boy tried out his new in-line skates.  Hell, I even played two games of Cricket with a brand new dartboard I installed in the basement earlier today.  I'd never have even bought any of that stuff when I was in my 20s.  For one thing, I probably couldn't afford it.  For another, I think you go through a period when playing with legos and darts and balls and bats just doesn't really appeal.  You either have to be a child or be close to a child to really appreciate it.

At least until I got nailed in the side with the business end of a dart.  Luckily the blood has stopped gushing.  I guess my son is still working on the aim.  After a few more drinks I'll be up for another round of cricket.  Fortunately, it wasn't the right side.  That's my throwing side.

I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 05:53:15 AM »

FF, I hope you all had a great Christmas!
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies