Pope Francis vs. Dalai Lama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:32:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Pope Francis vs. Dalai Lama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Pope Francis

Dalai Lama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Pope Francis vs. Dalai Lama  (Read 1978 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »

I'm sure they're both very nice people, but as religious leaders, neither. I refuse to accept any higher Earthly authority, and I am not Catholic or Buddhist.

You don't have to accept them as higher Earthly authorities to have a positive opinion of them.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »

Yes. Religious figures such as these are essentially quasi-politicians, so can easily be judged like we would a President or prime Minister.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »

There's actually some really unsavory stuff about the Dalai Lama that doesn't get talked about much

What in particular?

The Dalai Lama is these days mostly fine in his capacity as a political leader, but in his capacity as a religious leader he is significantly more authoritarian than is sometimes realized, and has actively suppressed theological and devotional movements within Tibetan Buddhism that differ too markedly from his own.

Ah. That's interesting, considering how open to pluralism he has been in political terms (I've heard somewhere that he's officially renounced to most of the political power he would have if Tibet was independent, and would intend to organize it as a liberal democracy).
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 07:51:01 PM »

There's actually some really unsavory stuff about the Dalai Lama that doesn't get talked about much

What in particular?

The Dalai Lama is these days mostly fine in his capacity as a political leader, but in his capacity as a religious leader he is significantly more authoritarian than is sometimes realized, and has actively suppressed theological and devotional movements within Tibetan Buddhism that differ too markedly from his own.

Ah. That's interesting, considering how open to pluralism he has been in political terms (I've heard somewhere that he's officially renounced to most of the political power he would have if Tibet was independent, and would intend to organize it as a liberal democracy).

Yeah, he's much better politically than theologically (I mean within the context of Buddhism, not just from a non-Buddhist perspective), which is (to my mind) the inverse of most popes.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 10:22:28 PM »

What in particular?

Yeah, he's much better politically than theologically (I mean within the context of Buddhism, not just from a non-Buddhist perspective), which is (to my mind) the inverse of most popes.

Are you talking about those guys who go to all of his events and protest him? I've heard that their leader is somewhat... cultish, but I haven't heard much more than that.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2015, 06:07:01 PM »

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »

Pope Francis. The Communists taking over Tibet was the best thing that ever happened to them. People like to forger that the Tibetan regime before that was extremely repressive, backwards and feudal.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »

They're both awful. Pope Francis can say all the nice things about the poor that he wants, but that doesn't change the fact that he heads up an organization that has done nothing but steal from the poor and murder those who would try and stop that thievery since it came into existence.

What?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies