What's the significance of Dorothy Day and Thomas Merton?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:46:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What's the significance of Dorothy Day and Thomas Merton?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the significance of Dorothy Day and Thomas Merton?  (Read 408 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:57:14 PM »

Pope Francis specifically named them in his historic address to the U.S. Congress today.

I know somewhat about them, Thomas Merton as a writer and Dorothy Day being very pro-worker and also pro-life after having an abortion, but let's have a discussion for everyone: what's their significance?

Why were they mentioned, out of the millions of others who could have been mentioned?
Small L
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2015, 01:44:28 PM by Small L »

They were both Americans from the 20th century, they were both supporters of peace and social justice, and they were both orthodox Catholics. Although Merton isn't particularly known for it, he cared deeply for the poor just like Day. He also made great ecumenical efforts with eastern religions which ties into Pope Francis' message of outreach. That's probably why they were brought up (although admittedly I have yet to watch the speech). I know much more about Merton than Day since I've read his books on my own and for school.

By the way, if you're at all interested in Christian spirituality I highly recommend reading No Man Is an Island and/or New Seeds of Contemplation. Of course there's also The Seven Story Mountain which he is most known for.

You can find a lot of Dorothy Day's writings here: http://www.catholicworker.org/dorothyday/browse/index.html
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »

They were both radicals.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies