Do you know any politicians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:31:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you know any politicians?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you know any politicians?  (Read 2652 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »

muon2, I think my father was a student at St. Olaf University, though I could be wrong.

Any idea when he graduated?

My father was born in 1953, so I'd say that he graduated in the 1970s, probably around 1975. He also told me that he met Bob Packwood when he lived in Oregon.

Mentioning Paul Wellstone reminded me of a question that is kind of off the wall: did Minnesota ever have a Jewish congressman?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »

^ With the exception of Barkley (a brief placeholder) the last four Senators to hold that seat have all been Jewish: Boshwitz/Wellstone/Coleman/Franken.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »

muon2, I think my father was a student at St. Olaf University, though I could be wrong.

My father was born in 1953, so I'd say that he graduated in the 1970s, probably around 1975. He also told me that he met Bob Packwood when he lived in Oregon.

Mentioning Paul Wellstone reminded me of a question that is kind of off the wall: did Minnesota ever have a Jewish congressman?
Paul Wellstone

Paul Wellstone was never in the United States House of Representatives. He was a senator though.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »

Paul Wellstone

Paul Wellstone was never in the United States House of Representatives. He was a senator though.

"Congressman"
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »

No one too high up. A couple municipal councilors and one provincial candidate.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »

Just a few people who served in the city council or state legislature.  None higher than that.

One of my great great aunts (who died before I was born) served as a county superintendent in a small, rural county.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2015, 05:47:17 PM »

I am friends with a former mayor/city council member of a small city in my area.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »

Paul Wellstone

"Congressman"

It is my understanding that the word "congressman" means a member of the United States House of Representatives.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 06:10:45 PM »

I know a state rep plus a candidate for state rep, as well as two former congressional candidates (neither won). Plus a couple of local elected officials (county-level).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 09:29:55 PM »

I've met Jim McGovern and Deval Patrick, and a few lesser-known politicians as well.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2015, 01:39:14 AM »

I know a few members of the Swedish parliament. If we're speaking of local politicians as well I know even more, being one myself.

Are you an elected official, John?

To OP, I joined our GOP County Executive Committee recently, and know a number of local politicians, though am not especially close friends with any (or any non-politicians anymore it seems; too much work Sad). My last 3 bosses have all been elected prosecutors of course.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2015, 07:18:39 AM »

Paul Wellstone

"Congressman"

What? Wellstone was a Senator.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2015, 07:19:15 AM »

I think most of us have at least talked to a certain State Rep from Illinois... Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »

I know lots of Swedish ones. My good friend's uncle used to be the finance minister of Austria but while I have spent a couple of dinners talking and having wine with the guy I doubt he'd recognize me on the street. The Swedish former finance minister did recognize me though, but he probably wouldn't now that I have the beard. Tongue
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »

Bill Johnston, Judy Chu and I chatted with Hillary Clinton in 08' when I supported Clinton and lived in the US, I've also met John Edwards and got a handshake and a brief discussion with him.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »

Uncle is a Republican judge in Will County, Illinois up for re-election next year; he's the only politicians I know personally.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies