Paris: Animal rights activists seize puppy from homeless man
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:55:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Paris: Animal rights activists seize puppy from homeless man
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Paris: Animal rights activists seize puppy from homeless man  (Read 8477 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »

I paraphrased and critiqued your arguments in detail and you declined to respond.  If that's not "losing" a debate, I don't know what is.  By your rationale, you "win" a debate by sticking your fingers in your ears and humming loudly.

Your "critiques" are irrelevant, because they are based on fundamental moral principles different from mine. That's what you don't understand. In discussions on morality, there are no objective facts that everyone can agree on, and which can form the basis for a resolution of the disagreement. If I'm arguing with a social Darwinist, I can bring him data and prove to him that inequalities have increased dramatically in the western world over the past decades, but I will never convince him that that's a bad thing.

It's interesting that you would bring up social darwinism.  When I read arguments to the effect of 'it's natural to eat meat because we evolved to do it', that doesn't sound much different to other remarks that you would no doubt find insensitive.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2015, 06:56:01 PM »

How is that any different from what I paraphrased?

The fact that you constantly have to paraphrase my argument is a sign that either I'm not explaining myself clearly enough, or your comprehension skills are poor. I assumed the former and thus tried to clarify my argument. That does not seem to have worked. Draw your own conclusions.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know what I said, and I'll kindly ask you not to accuse me of lying. Otherwise, this argument ends right now. I'm already wasting enough of my time engaging in a discussion I find tedious and uninteresting (while you seem to enjoy it way too much). Once and for all, that post was a tongue in cheek, as is generally the case when a post is accompanied by a smirking emoji.

Whether or not meat is crucial to modern human development (something neither you nor I really knows enough to make a judment on) does not change the substance of my argument.

Yes if the cost of not doing so is unreasonably high and the morality of said action is, as I have already stated it it, conditional on the existence of a valid reason.

Because I'm not instructing the corporation to mistreat their animals. It's not like I can force them to make sure they don't mistreat them. The product is out there and I have no influence on how it is produced. My only choice is whether to buy it or not. As I said, given the limited set of choices, the animal's suffering is preferable to giving up on meat (or spending hours figuring out what meat to eat).

First of all, as someone who values human suffering infinitely more than animal suffering, I find your comparison deeply offensive. I'd rather see a single sweatshop worker gain better working conditions than end all animal abuse worldwide.

But the false equivalence that you draw, it still fails at proving your case. I don't jump at people whom I see wearing Nike shoes, you know. In fact, chances are I probably own products that were made in sweatshops, because, again, I don't have the time to figure out where everything I buy comes from. Sweatshops, just like intensive farms, should be eliminated through through the legislative process.

Probably not, especially since it's obviously impossible to ascribe a quantitative value to these things. As long as the purpose is legitimate (as eating meat is to me) and I have ability to change the methods of meat production myself, I am not doing anything wrong.

It's interesting that you would bring up social darwinism.  When I read arguments to the effect of 'it's natural to eat meat because we evolved to do it', that doesn't sound much different to other remarks that you would no doubt find insensitive.

Oh great, here comes the third musketeer. Roll Eyes Good thing I never made that argument, then.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2015, 09:03:51 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

The fact that you constantly have to paraphrase my argument is a sign that either I'm not explaining myself clearly enough, or your comprehension skills are poor. I assumed the former and thus tried to clarify my argument. That does not seem to have worked. Draw your own conclusions.

You must be kidding.  It's standard practice to paraphrase the argument you're replying to, so that your opponent can point out any misunderstandings, and so that you can orient readers toward what point you're addressing.  Your reply "didn't work" in the sense that you paraphrased an argument I've already addressed, without responding to my counterargument.  That was your problem.

Whether or not meat is crucial to modern human development (something neither you nor I really knows enough to make a judment on) does not change the substance of my argument.

OK, good, we're on the same page.  The role of meat-eating in human cognitive development is irrelevant to the current moral choice.

Yes if the cost of not doing so is unreasonably high and the morality of said action is, as I have already stated it it, conditional on the existence of a valid reason.

First of all, as someone who values human suffering infinitely more than animal suffering, I find your comparison deeply offensive. I'd rather see a single sweatshop worker gain better working conditions than end all animal abuse worldwide.

But the false equivalence that you draw, it still fails at proving your case. I don't jump at people whom I see wearing Nike shoes, you know. In fact, chances are I probably own products that were made in sweatshops, because, again, I don't have the time to figure out where everything I buy comes from. Sweatshops, just like intensive farms, should be eliminated through through the legislative process.

Slow down on your DEEP OFFENSE, Mr. Sensitive.  It's not an equivalence; it's an analogy.  An analogy is a type of comparison that compares two unalike things to find their relevant similarity!  Turning analogies into equivalences is another thing you might want to avoid in grad school!

The point was to ask whether you think buying from sweatshops has any moral implications.  Your answer here appears to be consistent: if you're getting some benefit out of it, and avoiding sweatshops would cause any inconvenience to you, you're all about buying from sweatshops!  You hope public policy people will get rid of them, although you don't seem to be willing to put any effort into that either, so you'll go along benefiting from them at every possible convenience and hoping the problem will fix itself, not that you particularly care.

In the other analogy, you're not not necessarily instructing the bookie to hurt someone, either.  You just know that the bookie will almost inevitably hurt the person who owes you money, but you choose the bookie because you like the convenience factor of it (you get your money faster).  It sounds like, again, that's a-ok with you.  Why would it not be?  If you decide the convenience of getting your money fast is anything like the convenience of not having to research your clothes, or the convenience of eating tasty meat, you'd have no reason not to use a bookie.

The analogies are apt, and you gave a fairly cogent response to them, which is that your position (assuming it contained a typo) is effectively near-unconditional:

As long as your hands don't have blood on them, you're willing to let other people do something for your convenience/preferences, even if it causes wide-scale suffering -- to either animals or even, apparently, humans too.

You are absolved of all responsibility because that's the system's responsibility, not yours.  You could reduce the demand for products based on wide-scale suffering, but it would either take too much research time or be inconvenient.  Besides, why should you, since you're not responsible at all, since you never pull the trigger.

It's good, though, that you get VERY OFFENDED by the insinuation that you might not be sympathetic to the suffering of others.  You're totally sympathetic!  Your sympathy just plays second fiddle to your personal preferences, conveniences, love of steak...pretty much anything you justify based on a "valid reason," which basically includes every personal preference you have.  Meanwhile, you think it's society's responsibility to deal with this problem, and will accordingly continue your brave social activism: never demanding society change, never changing your personal behavior, and generally appearing to be totally fine with doing absolutely nothing to lessen suffering or change society at all.  Hurrah!

But, hey, you did once made that post where you called sweatshops "disgusting"!  I'm sure that was a brave, liberal strike against mistreatment and suffering, before you went back to clearly not actually giving half a damn about changing that or anything else that might inconvenience you.

Let me know if I've missed anything in my paraphrase.  Otherwise, you're right: we're done!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »

Since you were so kind as to teach me the difference between equivalence and analogy (not that it made your argument any stronger, since the difference between the two cases was relevant to my point: human suffering is not morally equivalent to animal suffering and what might be acceptable in the former case might not be in the latter), I'll return the favor and try to explain you the difference between paraphrasing and strawmanning.

This:

is a strawman. A strawman is a dishonest paraphrasing of your opponent's argument, which deliberately distorts it so as to make it less solid or more extreme. We are always tempted to do it - sometimes inadvertently - because it allows us to set the terms of the argument, which makes it very easy to "win" it. This is why paraphrasing your opponent's argument - provided that it's already written in simple, intelligible English - is a bad idea if you're concerned about the honesty of your argument.

Why is this a strawman? Because you take a very specific statement:

...and turn it into a much broader, and thus more easily criticizable one:

...making me say something that I never so much as hinted was my argument. Not every purpose that has a "utility" for human beings is legitimate. Some clearly aren't, such as entertainment (I oppose cockfighting and corridas). Others, such as clothing, are more ambiguous (articles that serve merely an aesthetic purpose, such as fur, are not worth it, but some clothes serves a valid practical purpose that can't be easily supplemented). I have already explained why I believe meat consumption is a valid justification, and you had no basis to construe such specific statement into a much broader one that amounts to "anything goes".

The rest of your rambling is irrelevant since it all rests on this strawman.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2015, 02:16:54 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2015, 02:28:36 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

Since you were so kind as to teach me the difference between equivalence and analogy (not that it made your argument any stronger, since the difference between the two cases was relevant to my point: human suffering is not morally equivalent to animal suffering and what might be acceptable in the former case might not be in the latter), I'll return the favor and try to explain you the difference between paraphrasing and strawmanning.

Except the point of the analogy was the extent to which your distance from the direct action meant you weren't morally culpable!  Unless the distance somehow varies depending on whether the resulting suffering is animal or human (why would it?), that's irrelevant to the analogy.  In any case, it's not a "false equivalency."

is a strawman. A strawman is a dishonest paraphrasing of your opponent's argument, which deliberately distorts it so as to make it less solid or more extreme. We are always tempted to do it - sometimes inadvertently - because it allows us to set the terms of the argument, which makes it very easy to "win" it. This is why paraphrasing your opponent's argument - provided that it's already written in simple, intelligible English - is a bad idea if you're concerned about the honesty of your argument.

Why is this a strawman? Because you take a very specific statement:

...and turn it into a much broader, and thus more easily criticizable one:

...making me say something that I never so much as hinted was my argument. Not every purpose that has a "utility" for human beings is legitimate. Some clearly aren't, such as entertainment (I oppose cockfighting and corridas). Others, such as clothing, are more ambiguous (articles that serve merely an aesthetic purpose, such as fur, are not worth it, but some clothes serves a valid practical purpose that can't be easily supplemented). I have already explained why I believe meat consumption is a valid justification, and you had no basis to construe such specific statement into a much broader one that amounts to "anything goes".

The rest of your rambling is irrelevant since it all rests on this strawman.

I am an extremely, obnoxiously precise debater, and although I err sometimes, this is not such a case.  You've given no coherent definition for any standard of "legitimacy."  My post above was based on deductions made from what you've given to me.  Here's every reference you've made to your "legitimacy" standard:

* Here, after condescendingly claiming you'd made your argument "clear enough" that I can't understand it if I didn't already, you made your first reference to this apparently-pivotal standard: "I believe that causing needless suffering to animals is wrong."  In other words, you said the suffering had to be needed.

* Later, in this post, you claimed that by "needed," you didn't mean "necessary," and might have used the wrong word.  That's fine; you're a non-native speaker.  You refined your standard of "legitimacy" to be instances in which something "serve(s) a legitimate purpose for human beings."  Unfortunately, that's uselessly self-referential since you've just said something is legitimate if it serves a legitimate purpose for people.  Clear as mud, bro.

* So, what is a legitimate purpose?  You haven't defined this, but you've unequivocally indicated that one thing is a "legitimate purpose" for meat.   You stated that it's legitimate to "[have] access to a category of food that has proven crucial to human development and is a fundamental source of daily happiness for billions of people."  Since you've apparently conceded that meat's role in human development isn't morally relevant, i'm forced to infer that this is about meat being "a fundamental source of daily happiness for billions of people" and "tastes good."  In other words, meat is "legitimate" because many people (including you) prefer it to other types of food.

* You have indicated that two other things are not legitimate purposes: making profit beyond that necessary for industry workers to live comfortable lives, which has absolutely nothing to do with the suffering question, and just now, entertainment like cockfighting.

I said that your definition "apparently" entailed "anything with utility to Antonio.  Do you not know what the word "apparently" means?  It means "as far as one can tell" -- which was the case when I posted that.

Perhaps "legitimate purpose" does not entail everything that gives you utility.  You've mentioned two things that might give utility that are not "legitimate purposes" -- making excess profit, beyond that necessary to live comfortably, and just now, cockfighting.  I'm not sure why, in any case, since you've consistently failed to define "legitimate purpose."  But if you enjoy cockfighting, I guess "legitimate purpose" no longer "apparently" entails anything with utility to Antonio.  Either way, though, my statement was NOT a strawman.

Plus, even if not all things that have utility to Antonio are "legitimate purposes," it does not negate the rest of my post as you claimed, because my entire post was indicting you for exactly what you explicitly claim to believe.  All of it is specific to your positions on meat and sweatshops.  Is it not true that you think your food preferences and shopping ease are "legitimate purposes" that make it reasonable for you to make choices that result in suffering?  Is it not true that you deny culpability for causing that suffering, because you didn't do it directly, even you knew it was a near-inevitable consequence of your actions?  Is it not true that you demand society shifts, instead of you, and then you apparently do absolutely nothing to encourage that societal shift?

So, executive summary:

1. You didn't know what the word "needed" means; you were using it to mean "has a legitimate purpose," and then got annoyed when you assumed it meant "necessary" (an exact synonym).

2. You haven't explained what a "legitimate purpose" is (besides that it's something that's legitimate!), but apparently eating inhumanely-treated meat and buying from a sweatshop are those, but cockfighting and making high profits aren't.

3. You're totally sympathetic about all the poor animals and sweatshop workers who are suffering, but your taste preferences and convenience trump those concerns.

4. You believe yourself absolved of individual guilt because it's the government's responsibility to regulate these issues to prevent suffering, and you refuse to change your individual acts in the meantime.  Again, totally sympathetic, though!

5. You refuse to put even passing effort into trying to make any change at the governmental or social level.  Totally moral, compassionate, and sympathetic!  You know, as long as it's essentially zero-cost to you.

I'm precise in debates for a reason -- because it's needed necessary to show shoddy arguments like yours for what they are.  Unless you can point out an actual strawman/error I've made here, I guess we're done, Antonio!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2015, 02:47:16 AM »

Jesus, you have waaaay too much time on your hands. I unfortunately have no such luxury. I've neglected my homework to keep arguing with you, and that means right now I have to work for a good chunk of the night and completely screw up my sleep schedule. No, I don't blame you for this - only my own misguided sense of pride that makes me refuse to let some pretentious asshole on the internet repeatedly misconstrue my views and get away with it (quite pathetic, I know). Misguided pride can only go so far, though.

I'm done with this crap. You can tell yourself you've "won" the argument if you're so inclined. I'm sure this is a critical victory in the fight for animal rights that will further boost your ego.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2015, 03:01:11 AM »

Protip: It really doesn't take much time to make arguments when you're not bullsh**tting your way through them.  You probably spent more time on this thread than I did.

I'd respect you for terminating the argument a lot more if you hadn't done so while accusing me of "misconstruing your views" after I painstakingly explained how I didn't, with citations and direct quotes.  Whatever, though.  Good luck with your all-nighter.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »

That's not true, and you know it. Some people spout bullsh*t at high speed and others spend time carefully weighing an argument before coming to their conclusions. And truth is generally more complex than a lie. If you really can think and write very fast, that's good for you, but maybe you should use such a gift in a more productive way. Still, from your average response time, I doubt you dedicated less than 1-2 hours per day to this discussion. The "painstakingly" bit in your second paragraph also contradicts your claim.

Surprisingly enough, I find myself capable of living very well without your respect (which you never displayed to begin with).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2015, 02:34:08 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2015, 03:29:52 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

The point is that the debate would have gone much faster if you'd clearly articulated just a few things: what a "legitimate purpose' is; why it is defined that way; how it's distinct from illegitimate purposes; how you weigh legitimate purposes against the resultant suffering; and how/when being separated from the resultant suffering insulates you from moral responsibility.  That's all you needed to do.  That would have been a fully-formed argument that at least attempted to respond to my critiques.  You did exactly zero of those things by the time you terminated the conversation.  The most you did is list two legitimate purposes and two illegitimate purposes, and then effectively refuse to explain the underlying logic.  The result was time wasted on both sides.

Not having my respect isn't the problem with what you did in the strawman exchange.  It's the fact you were wrong on substance.  Again, it doesn't matter how good or respectable you are, or how good or respectable I am.  The substance of the argument is what matters, and forget respect -- substance is where you failed.

(1-2 hours is about right, btw.  better than watching TV.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2015, 08:33:06 PM by Californian Tony Returns »

You don't get to tell me how I could have made the debate shorter, when your entire arguing strategy has been to pick apart separate bits of my argument and pontificate over them at great lengths, while completely losing focus of the core. That might be a legitimate method for deconstructing complex problems, but in this circumstance it only served to obfuscate and waste my time. If the questions you just posted were all you were interested in, you should have posted them outright instead of coming up with one wall of text after another.

Anyway, if you're ready to get straight to the point and won't go on another tangent in the next post, I can answer that pretty simply. Whether a purpose is legitimate depends on its degree of utility to human beings. It's not a rule of thumb, and there might be legitimate disagreement as to where to draw the line - you are more than welcome to draw the line beneath meat-eating if you are so inclined. I personally draw it far beyond, somewhere between "comfort" and "luxury". No, I can't pinpoint precisely where, and I don't care about figuring it out because it makes no difference from a practical standpoint. The point is that animal suffering should be minimized as long as nothing too important is lost for humans.

The only way I could have any (minimal) impact on animal suffering is, either by not eating meat at all, or by devoting an unreasonable amount of my time and energy to figuring out which meat to eat. In both cases, I consider the utility I gain from not doing these things to be sufficiently high to warrant adding a marginal amount of animal suffering. Again, you are perfectly free to disagree.

Now that I have provided a clear answer to your questions, I presume this discussion is over? Or you will again pick apart 3 or 4 sentences and make a sanctimonious rant over each of them?

(1-2 hours is about right, btw.  better than watching TV.)

See, that's the issue: you're enjoying this, and I'm not.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »

I thought this was over...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2015, 09:18:03 PM »

It would be, if I had the good judgment not to care about my useless "internet honor".
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2015, 11:23:31 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

god, dude, more disingenuous horsehockey.  I am almost never this mean in debates, but you are engaging in some incredible BSing here.

You don't get to tell me how I could have made the debate shorter, when your entire arguing strategy has been to pick apart separate bits of my argument and pontificate over them at great lengths, while completely losing focus of the core. That might be a legitimate method for deconstructing complex problems, but in this circumstance it only served to obfuscate and waste my time. If the questions you just posted were all you were interested in, you should have posted them outright instead of coming up with one wall of text after another.

I obfuscated and wasted your time?  How disingenuous can you get?  Let's break this down once and for all:

1. You said that humans have a moral obligation to avoid "unnecessary pain" on animals.  You vaguely alluded to there being different rights re: suffering between the social contract and the "unnecessary pain" standard.  

2. I asked what the difference was, and how you avoided "unnecessary pain."  (Is it my fault you used "unnecessary" to mean something besides "not necessary"?) This was effectively me asking you to define a legitimate purpose.

3. You repeated that causing "unnecessary pain" was wrong, no matter "who/what the subject of such an action is."  You then denied personal obligation to inconvenience yourself to avoid "unnecessary pain," because that falls on society.

4. I criticized you for the idea that you have no responsibility for inconveniencing yourself to avoid things that inevitably cause suffering.  You then reiterated and confirmed you denied a personal obligation, which you topped off by calling my criticism "invalid" because you've "never hurt an animal in your life."  Throughout this, you continued to state your opposition to "unnecessary" pain and suffering, and I quoted you in kind.  You later reiterated again that you are not responsible for people's actions, even if you knowingly make a request that will prompt them to take suffering-causing actions.

5. I made the analogy of hiring a debt collector with the knowledge that he will probably break your debtor's legs.  This was me asking you how being separated from the suffering-causer insulates you morally when you knowingly prompted the suffering.  

6. When you simply reiterated as invalid, because the decision to inflict suffering wasn't yours, I explicitly asked you AGAIN why the separation was morally innoculating based on this different relationship.

7. You didn't respond, instead claiming your argument was "clear enough."  Hilariously, at the same time you do this, you concede that you have been using "necessary" to mean something besides "necessary" this entire time.  Holy crap.

8. I pointed out that you've terminated the conversation before explaining how the moral insulation works, which was your entire response when I pointed out your choices prompt unnecessary suffering.  More cross-talk happens, with you not answering that questioning, or explaining what you actually meant by "necessary," despite that I've asked both at this point.  Note that I had no reason to ask what you meant by "necessary" until now, because...you know...I thought you meant what the word "necessary" actually means.

9. I directly asked about both the insulation and the distinction between legitimate and illegitimate purposes.  

Where the hell is the obfuscation in that?  I've asked every question you just complained I didn't ask.  The only reason I didn't ask you to define "necessary" upfront is because I assumed you were using it to mean "necessary."  How stupid of me!

You still haven't logically explained your rejection of the booking analogy or how moral insulation works.  You concede that you're fine with prompting suffering if it makes you comfortable, but not merely for luxury, which is gross, but at least coherent and internally consistent.  I stand by criticizing that position harshly, somewhat like I'd criticize somebody who opposed same-sex marriage or racial integration out of personal comfort despite the external suffering it causes.  I don't think they're terrible people either, but it's a sucky position.

Unless you want to explain your baffling position on moral insulation, we're done.  You, like I've said, give about 1% of a crap about suffering, and there's nothing internally inconsistent about it.  But don't get twisted.  You have been clearly responsible for how long and baffling this debate is.  It's truly stunning that you can blatantly dodge questions, misuse the word "necessary" for like ten consecutive posts, and then blame me for "obfuscation," as well as complaining I didn't ask questions I directly asked you several times.

Your argument is gross, you blamed me for your own poor articulation, and you confused the conversation by messing up the definition of one of the most common words in the English language.  But, if all you're going for is presenting a semi-complete argument (ignoring the moral insulation non-answer), then, sure, you're done.

I'll withhold comment on your internet honor, but I think the conclusion there is self-evident.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2015, 12:11:59 AM by Californian Tony Returns »

So, essentially, this endless bickering that wasted hours of my time (but provided for your entertainment, apparently) boils down to me using the wrong word. Something for which, by the way, I preemptively apologized a dozen posts ago. If you replace "unnecessary" with "which does not procure sufficient utility for human beings", do you finally understand my point and accept that we just see things differently?

As for your analogy and "moral insulation" as you call it, I have actually explained it several times. My position as a customer toward a corporation that sells meat to, say, millions of people every day is extremely asymmetrical in terms of agency. The corporation (actually the corporations, since the original producer isn't the same as the seller and there might be several intermediate steps) decides everything about how meat is produced, from A to Z. My array of choice, instead, is limited to buying or not buying their product. The cost of not buying their product means either swearing off meat or spending an unreasonable amount of time figuring out which meat I could buy. This is not the same as the cost a farming corporation would face if it afforded better living conditions to its animals. Corporations could still do that, make a substantial profit, and provide their workers with decent wages - in fact, some do. Thus, from a customer's perspective, provided these very limited options, indirectly causing (a proportionally slight amount of) additional animal suffering is justified by the utility it provides (the ability of eating meat). It is not justified for corporations, as maximizing profits isn't a legitimate justification in my view.

All I said here was already in my previous post, though probably in a less developed form (because I did not assume such development was needed). Obviously, since I have a life, I'm not going to spend an hour like you did to come up with a fancy-looking numbered list, complete with links, of where in my posts you can find those arguments. As I said, you're having fun while I'm just wasting my time and energy.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2015, 12:39:23 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2015, 12:52:38 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

So, essentially, this endless bickering that wasted hours of my time (but provided for your entertainment, apparently) boils down to me using the wrong word. Something for which, by the way, I preemptively apologized a dozen posts ago. If you replace "unnecessary" with "which does not procure sufficient utility for human beings", do you finally understand my point and accept that we just see things differently?

Already said that I do.

As for your analogy and "moral insulation" as you call it, I have actually explained it several times. My position as a customer toward a corporation that sells meat to, say, millions of people every day is extremely asymmetrical in terms of agency. The corporation (actually the corporations, since the original producer isn't the same as the seller and there might be several intermediate steps) decides everything about how meat is produced, from A to Z. My array of choice, instead, is limited to buying or not buying their product. The cost of not buying their product means either swearing off meat or spending an unreasonable amount of time figuring out which meat I could buy. This is not the same as the cost a farming corporation would face if it afforded better living conditions to its animals. Corporations could still do that, make a substantial profit, and provide their workers with decent wages - in fact, some do. Thus, from a customer's perspective, provided these very limited options, indirectly causing (a proportionally slight amount of) additional animal suffering is justified by the utility it provides (the ability of eating meat). It is not justified for corporations, as maximizing profits isn't a legitimate justification in my view.

Why is the relative disutility to you changing your behavior vs. the corporation morally relevant?  You basically seem to be saying "it would be less disutility for the corporation to change than me; therefore it should be their responsibility to change."  But why?  Is your moral responsibility to avoid suffering somehow a function of the ease of other people to fulfill that same moral responsibility?  If you hold your disutility from doing something that stops suffering static, but lessen the disutility to another actor (the corporation), does the disutility you're obligated to accept to avoid the suffering lessen?  Why would it?  How is iniquity relative to a third party relevant to your moral responsibility to avoid "unnecessary suffering"?

Besides, my bookie analogy is still in play.  You'd have a strong personal preference for getting your money quickly.  Why can you not argue that it's the bookie's responsibility to avoid suffering, and that your personal preference justifies hiring the bookie since the bookie could, theoretically, not do his job in a way that causes suffering.  Do you seriously think you're morally insulated from the inevitable consequence of your choice?  If not, is the reason only because it would be harder for the bookie to fulfill your personal preference if he doesn't break legs, and so the responsibility to change doesn't fall on the bookie?  It that wasn't the case, and the bookie could easily do his job without breaking legs, you'd be just fine hiring him because the responsibility for moral conduct falls on him?  

That's perverse logic to me.  And if you reject it, then clearly you must hold you have some level of moral obligation to try to avoid suffering, regardless of how easy it is for the corporation.  Currently you're demonstrating absolutely none, which is part of what I think is gross.

All I said here was already in my previous post, though probably in a less developed form (because I did not assume such development was needed). Obviously, since I have a life, I'm not going to spend an hour like you did to come up with a fancy-looking numbered list, complete with links, of where in my posts you can find those arguments. As I said, you're having fun while I'm just wasting my time and energy.

no, you've been wasting both of our time and energy.

And dude, please, you accused me of not asking you the questions I listed an "obfuscating."  I detailed exactly when I asked you those questions, and how I responded to your argument, which was not remotely obfuscatory.  Don't pretend like the only reason you can't support your accusation is a lack of time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2015, 01:02:45 AM »

Your sheer verbosity is what's obfuscating. In many cases you could have stated your questions/arguments clearly and concisely and instead chose to go on into a long-winded rant which included some relevant bits mixed with some irrelevant ones, some (maybe not deliberate) misconstructions, and a good deal of pointless affected outrage. You clearly like hearing yourself talk (or in these case, seeing yourself type, I guess), but, if brevity and clarity was your concern, you probably could have made the same points with about 67% less characters.

Because, in my argument, the morality of animal suffering is based on the utility that it procures, ie the disutility that avoiding it causes. Since this disutility is higher for the customer than it is for the corporation, it makes perfect sense that the corporation's actions might be immoral while the customer's aren't.

No, that is not what I said. I said that the disutility for the customer is big enough to warrant the suffering, while the disutility for the corporation isn't. If the disutility for the customer were smaller, the action would be immoral even if the corporation's disutility were still smaller than the customer's. I already illustrated this with the example of fur.

This point should also debunk your bookie metaphor, if you connect the dots.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2015, 01:23:31 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2015, 03:26:27 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

Noting that you seem to have totally abandoned the accusation that I didn't ask you those questions, which is about the third baseless accusation you've totally abandoned.

Your sheer verbosity is what's obfuscating. In many cases you could have stated your questions/arguments clearly and concisely and instead chose to go on into a long-winded rant which included some relevant bits mixed with some irrelevant ones, some (maybe not deliberate) misconstructions, and a good deal of pointless affected outrage. You clearly like hearing yourself talk (or in these case, seeing yourself type, I guess), but, if brevity and clarity was your concern, you probably could have made the same points with about 67% less characters.

I don't think I wrote anything that a twelfth-grader couldn't understand.  You did fine.  Your problem wasn't big words; it's that you weren't responsive to ideas...and I guess that you consistently misused a word that a first-grader would understand.

Because, in my argument, the morality of animal suffering is based on the utility that it procures, ie the disutility that avoiding it causes. Since this disutility is higher for the customer than it is for the corporation, it makes perfect sense that the corporation's actions might be immoral while the customer's aren't.

No, that is not what I said. I said that the disutility for the customer is big enough to warrant the suffering, while the disutility for the corporation isn't. If the disutility for the customer were smaller, the action would be immoral even if the corporation's disutility were still smaller than the customer's. I already illustrated this with the example of fur.

In #3 here, you indicated that you believe the responsibility to correct social injustices generally falls on "public action," not "individual activism."  You invoked this to explain why you don't "go out of your way" to find meat that didn't result in suffering (understatement of the year).  When I challenged this, you responded by noting that it's much easier for corporations to change (or be regulated) than individuals accept disutility.  How is this a coherent response to my criticism unless you were somehow arguing that your individual responsibility to avoid suffering is modulated by not only the extent of the resulting suffering, but also the relative gap between the disutility to the disutility to the customer vs. company in mitigating suffering?  

You now seem to be claiming you merely meant that the disutility to the customer being higher than to the corporation is consistent with asserting a moral obligation for the customer but not the corporation.  That would make the context of your original statement make absolutely no sense.  If that was all you meant, why would the gap in disutility have been a relevant response to me asserting you had moral responsibility to avoid suffering?  Indicating that x has more difficulty than y being responsible for a, does not prove or imply that x has no responsibility for a, unless you assert that y has no responsibility for a, which you didn't.

See, when I use complicated sentence structures to be precise, this is why.  Not that I think complicated sentence structure is the problem there -- I think you're just not making much sense.

This point should also debunk your bookie metaphor, if you connect the dots.

I'm pretty good at connecting the dots, and no, I don't see how it does.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »

OK, now you're just being disingenuous. I just said that the problem was, not the complexity of your arguments, but rather the fact that they were buried in the middle of long-winded rants which served no purpose beyond reaffirming how horrible you think I am. Everything was comprehensible, it was just hard to tell your core argument apart from the useless fluff. Obviously I could have done a better job at it, given unlimited time and will, but we've already covered this issue. If you wanted simple answers, you should have gone straight to the point.

Actually, upon reexamination, I didn't misuse any word. It might have been better to avoid the word "necessary", but that's only because it's an inherently ambiguous concept, and its colloquial use (ie, something of vital importance) is different from its true meaning (ie something that's required in order to achieve a specific goal) which is what I had in mind. Maybe I should have specified the range of legitimate goals from the start, but since, as I eventually explained, this range eventually boils down to a judgment call of where to draw the line, I didn't think it was really worth discussing.

In "#3" (do you have an archive of those? nothing would surprise me at this point) my point was more about efficacy than about morality. That was before you made it clear that your argument was exclusively grounded on moral considerations. I believed, and I still do, that fundamental social change comes from public, rather than private, action. Therefore, when you feel something is wrong with the way society works and seek to fix it, you should take issue with the legislator, not with random people. This is what I meant when I said that responsibility falls on the former and not the latter. I was talking about practical, not moral responsibility. Of course you can still hold people accountable morally when their actions contribute to a social injustice (and acceptable alternatives to those actions are available). Again, this misunderstanding could have been cleared up a lot earlier if your posts didn't include so much caricaturing and rhetorical outrage.

I really can't help you if, after all this, you still can't figure out why your metaphor doesn't apply.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2015, 06:48:34 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2015, 07:18:05 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

OK, now you're just being disingenuous. I just said that the problem was, not the complexity of your arguments, but rather the fact that they were buried in the middle of long-winded rants which served no purpose beyond reaffirming how horrible you think I am. Everything was comprehensible, it was just hard to tell your core argument apart from the useless fluff. Obviously I could have done a better job at it, given unlimited time and will, but we've already covered this issue. If you wanted simple answers, you should have gone straight to the point.

Fair point (although I don't think you mean "disingenuous"...?).  I was wrongly interpreting "verbosity" to mean overly complicated language, not too much of it, which is not what that word means.  I don't understand how making it clear that I thought something was immoral "obfuscated" my argument, though?

To reiterate, a lot of the "useless fluff" was because you had used the word "necessary" to mean "giving me a high amount of subjective utility."  And I did directly ask you that question, once it became clear that you were using "necessary" to mean something else.  I even linked you to the posts where I did so.  It's hard to ask you the right questions about your argument when you're botching the explanation of your argument.  I spent a lot of time responding to a misconstruction of your argument, because you misconstructed it.

Actually, upon reexamination, I didn't misuse any word. It might have been better to avoid the word "necessary", but that's only because it's an inherently ambiguous concept, and its colloquial use (ie, something of vital importance) is different from its true meaning (ie something that's required in order to achieve a specific goal) which is what I had in mind. Maybe I should have specified the range of legitimate goals from the start, but since, as I eventually explained, this range eventually boils down to a judgment call of where to draw the line, I didn't think it was really worth discussing.

I don't think that, if you asked 100 people what the word "necessary" means in context of a moral argument, any of them would define it to mean "something I really enjoy but could live and function adequately without."  I also am not sure what you think the word "vital" means, but it means the same thing as "necessary"...

In "#3" (do you have an archive of those? nothing would surprise me at this point) my point was more about efficacy than about morality. That was before you made it clear that your argument was exclusively grounded on moral considerations. I believed, and I still do, that fundamental social change comes from public, rather than private, action. Therefore, when you feel something is wrong with the way society works and seek to fix it, you should take issue with the legislator, not with random people. This is what I meant when I said that responsibility falls on the former and not the latter. I was talking about practical, not moral responsibility. Of course you can still hold people accountable morally when their actions contribute to a social injustice (and acceptable alternatives to those actions are available).

OK...and, like I said, that makes it a non-sequitur response to the concern I raised in #3.  If you didn't mean to tie together the relative ease of avoiding suffering (you vs. the corporation) to your level of moral obligation to avoid suffering, why did you invoke it in #3?  It was totally reasonable for me to infer that you were arguing that this relationship had some impact on moral obligation, considering that you invoked this as a response to a criticism about you not "going out of your way" to avoid inhumane meat.

Again, this misunderstanding could have been cleared up a lot earlier if your posts didn't include so much caricaturing and rhetorical outrage.

I have no idea how being told you care very little about suffering (which you do; that's no caricature) "obfuscates" the rest of my argument.  Blaming me for distracting you with rhetoric is some serious actor-observer bias nonsense, considering you did things like use the wrong adjective ("necessary") for a fundamental part of your argument, and respond to a criticism of an apparently-central part of your argument with something that you later disclosed was a non-sequitur (the easiness of corporations vs. individuals to lessen suffering).  But, right, I'm sure the problem here was my obvious, non-confusing editorial commentary.

I really can't help you if, after all this, you still can't figure out why your metaphor doesn't apply.

Dude, I'm not good at plenty of things, but I'm good at syllogistic thinking and analogies.  It's not hard to explain how an analogy fails.  Your "response" to this analogy was to note that it's possible for the disutility to avoid suffering to be greater for the customer than the business, which in turn makes it possible that it would be morally unacceptable for the business to behave in a way that renders suffering, but morally acceptable for the consumer to engage the business in a way that causes the business to render suffering.  How the hell does that defeat my bookie analogy, which goes to your argument that strong subjective individual preference can justify engaging a business in a way that causes the business to render suffering?  Just replace "meat" with "wanting to get your money quickly."  You have not defeated this analogy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2015, 07:28:06 PM »

Fair point (although I don't think you mean "disingenuous"...?).  I was wrongly interpreting "verbosity" to mean overly complicated language, not too much of it, which is not what that word means.  I don't understand how making it clear that I thought something was immoral "obfuscated" my argument, though?

See, you can make semantic mistakes too! Wink And you don't even have the excuse of not being a native speaker.

Anyway, I just explained that your rants were obfuscating because they made it more difficult to isolate your core argument from all the other pointless things you were padding your posts with, and replying to the former precisely.

Again, common vs correct (but, as I admitted, not fully specified) definition. You can't be so hung up on using precise language and then blame me for not using a term in its common (but incorrect) understanding.

Fair enough, my mistake. In Latin languages, "vital" is the adjective associated with life, and "a matter of vital importance" essentially means a life-or-death issue. Apparently this is not the case in English.

That simply means I misunderstood your argument and went on to argue on a practical standpoint instead of on a moral one. Whether that misunderstanding is to blame on you or me, I do not know and am not interested in finding out. Now that this misunderstanding is cleared up, this issue is irrelevant.

Your analogy fails if you disregard the above argument on relative disutility of customer versus corporation (which, as I have clarified several times by now, is irrelevant to a discussion entirely focused on morality), and go back to my actual moral framework of an actor's individual moral position, considering that I apply a much, much higher standard to justifying human suffering than I do animal suffering, and that "getting your money back" certainly doesn't pass that standard. You could deduce all this from what I have said in my previous posts.

In addition, even if we disregard the categorical imperative against unnecessary (as in, not justified by a legitimate purpose) suffering entirely, a human being would still be protected against lawless violence by the rights awarded to him as a member of the social contract. Animals, as I said in my very first post on this issue, do not have rights.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2015, 10:48:36 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

See, you can make semantic mistakes too! Wink And you don't even have the excuse of not being a native speaker.

That semantic mistake wasn't a crucial part of my argument that I repeated several times, and then blamed someone else for not preempting with a question that required understanding the semantic mistake happened.

Anyway, I just explained that your rants were obfuscating because they made it more difficult to isolate your core argument from all the other pointless things you were padding your posts with, and replying to the former precisely.

You couldn't isolate the core of the argument from the commentary?  lol ok

Based on the level of logical precision you've demonstrated in this debate, I don't think I exactly disrupted your laser-focused mind with my distracting, distracting adjectives and commentary.

Again, common vs correct (but, as I admitted, not fully specified) definition. You can't be so hung up on using precise language and then blame me for not using a term in its common (but incorrect) understanding.

Fair enough, my mistake. In Latin languages, "vital" is the adjective associated with life, and "a matter of vital importance" essentially means a life-or-death issue. Apparently this is not the case in English.

Uh, no.  No one uses either "vital" or "necessary" to mean "something I like a lot but could function without."  Even if they did, no one would ever expect that's what you meant in a debate about moral logic.

like I don't think when people talk about "necessary conditions" in logical debates, they mean "conditions I find tasty and preferable to veggie burgers", I think they probably mean they're necessary and sh**t

That simply means I misunderstood your argument and went on to argue on a practical standpoint instead of on a moral one. Whether that misunderstanding is to blame on you or me, I do not know and am not interested in finding out. Now that this misunderstanding is cleared up, this issue is irrelevant.

I wish that other people were still reading this to see how amazingly ridiculous you're being.  Go look back at the post you responded to -- the question was one sentence long, and it was whether you have a "moral obligation."  You're now claiming that you thought I was asking about practicality, and you "don't know" whether that misunderstanding was my fault or yours?  Lol.

Your analogy fails if you disregard the above argument on relative disutility of customer versus corporation (which, as I have clarified several times by now, is irrelevant to a discussion entirely focused on morality), and go back to my actual moral framework of an actor's individual moral position, considering that I apply a much, much higher standard to justifying human suffering than I do animal suffering, and that "getting your money back" certainly doesn't pass that standard. You could deduce all this from what I have said in my previous posts.

No, there's absolutely no syllogistic reason the analogy would fail if you "disregard the above argument on relative disutility of customer versus corporation" because the analogy instead addressed your claim that being insulated from the immoral action means you're not culpable (or less culpable), which you absolutely made.  Instead, I think you're arguing that something about either the personal preference (getting your money quicker) or the consequence (human suffering) makes it disanalogous.  

If the former, how do you determine whether a personal preference is valid separate from the consequence?  What makes your personal preference for meat independently valid, but not a personal preference for getting money fast?

If the latter, I assume you've going to make up some alternative definition of what you 'really' meant by the phrase "I am not responsible for others' actions."  You used that in response to me questioning why you put zero effort into avoiding inhumane meat in the absence of producer regulations.  But, hell, if you can make "necessary" mean "something I strongly prefer," I'm sure you can invent a colloquial meaning for this too.

In addition, even if we disregard the categorical imperative against unnecessary (as in, not justified by a legitimate purpose) suffering entirely, a human being would still be protected against lawless violence by the rights awarded to him as a member of the social contract. Animals, as I said in my very first post on this issue, do not have rights.

responded to this above, but oh my god stop using the word "necessary" that way

stop trying to make "necessary" happen

it's not going to happen
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2015, 11:31:08 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 12:16:55 AM by Californian Tony Returns »

This is getting ridiculous. The core point of the argument has long been resolved, and now you're just going over all of my previous posts looking for inconsistencies. This has stopped to be an argument on the morality of eating meat and instead has devolved into an argument about the arguments that I previously made on the morality of eating meat. I already found the former to be extremely uninteresting, so you can imagine how many f**ks I give about the latter.

Was I inconsistent at some point or another? Probably. It happens in long-drawn debates, especially when the interlocutor makes no efforts to be straightforward and instead constantly goes into long-winded tangents that divert from the core of the issue. As I said, I had a limited amount of time to dedicate to this discussion, and lacked the motivation to go out of my way to take your key arguments apart from the fluff. In these circumstances, it's easy for a simple misunderstanding to snowball into a logical dead end.

Besides, the way you have framed this debate is inherently asymmetrical, since you are asking me to justify my actions and moral perspective, so it's obvious that this would make me more vulnerable to making a mistake along the way. That's basically the equivalent of a police interrogation where the cop doesn't care about ascertaining the truth, but instead just keeps going and going until the other person says what the cop wants to hear. I wonder how easy you would find it if the tables were turned.

So yeah, if what you wanted to prove is that, at some point in the discussion, I said something which doesn't correspond to my actual beliefs, congratulations, you win! It doesn't change the fact that, at the end of the day, those beliefs remain the same as before.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2015, 03:01:09 AM »

This is getting ridiculous. The core point of the argument has long been resolved, and now you're just going over all of my previous posts looking for inconsistencies. This has stopped to be an argument on the morality of eating meat and instead has devolved into an argument about the arguments that I previously made on the morality of eating meat. I already found the former to be extremely uninteresting, so you can imagine how many f**ks I give about the latter.

I was going to write another ten-point timeline of every time you prolonged a debate about debate conduct (there were many), but I'm not going to.  You're an adult.  If you don't care to defend your debate conduct, don't.

Was I inconsistent at some point or another? Probably. It happens in long-drawn debates, especially when the interlocutor makes no efforts to be straightforward and instead constantly goes into long-winded tangents that divert from the core of the issue. As I said, I had a limited amount of time to dedicate to this discussion, and lacked the motivation to go out of my way to take your key arguments apart from the fluff. In these circumstances, it's easy for a simple misunderstanding to snowball into a logical dead end.

Again, lol.  Now you're claiming that my editorial commentary caused you to become so flustered you used the word "necessary" incorrectly, and responded to a clear question with a non-sequitur, and several other rrors.  You were so bamboozled by the distracting commentary that you were unable to articulate your argument, and made several foundational screw-ups in your articulation.  If you screw up your thesis defense, are you going to blame that on glare from your evaluator's glasses or something?

Besides, the way you have framed this debate is inherently asymmetrical, since you are asking me to justify my actions and moral perspective, so it's obvious that this would make me more vulnerable to making a mistake along the way. That's basically the equivalent of a police interrogation where the cop doesn't care about ascertaining the truth, but instead just keeps going and going until the other person says what the cop wants to hear. I wonder how easy you would find it if the tables were turned.

You may be one of the most rationalization-prone people of above-average intelligence I've ever met.  It's true that it's harder to defend a position than critique it.  However, my critiques were way more complicated than your defense, so I don't buy the idea that there was a huge asymmetry for potential error.  Also, I don't think complexity is the issue...but whatever it takes to defend your ridiculous bad job at coherently constructing your argument, I guess?

So yeah, if what you wanted to prove is that, at some point in the discussion, I said something which doesn't correspond to my actual beliefs, congratulations, you win! It doesn't change the fact that, at the end of the day, those beliefs remain the same as before.

I've had three PMs from non-vegetarians who found the arguments persuasive, and that's not even including the comments I've seen from people who just think your performance in this debate has been embarrassing.  And, at the end of the day, you're ridiculously full of nonsense, so changing your opinion isn't really my goal in this debate.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »

personally I think people who don't eat meat are a bit 'fruity'
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »

Whatever. This argument is going nowhere and it's high time I start focusing my energy on something productive. Feel free to proclaim yourself the winner of this debate, if that makes you feel better. Most of the forum already thinks so anyway. Vox populi vox dei, I guess. I'm obviously still open to discussing my moral perspective on animal suffering with people who are interested in a genuine exchange of ideas rather than in gotchas. But I'm done with you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies