Paris: Animal rights activists seize puppy from homeless man (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:17:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Paris: Animal rights activists seize puppy from homeless man (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paris: Animal rights activists seize puppy from homeless man  (Read 8565 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: October 04, 2015, 04:54:05 AM »

It's disgusting when we belittle homeless people and the relationships they can form with their pets.  Much of this outrage would be well used against a culture that sees animals as commodities to be sold, used, and discarded.  Imagine not just the horror of a man who loses his companion dog, but also the horror of millions of dogs deserted by their humans everyday, while others go to pet stores and purchase the 'right' breed according to their specifications.  Meanwhile, homeless people keep pets as some of their only friends in an isolated world, which may isolate them from some shelters unwilling to house companion animals.  It is important to remember the value of these animals to these people, and to remember the value of animals in general.  Their value should transcend that of a price in a pet store.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »

I paraphrased and critiqued your arguments in detail and you declined to respond.  If that's not "losing" a debate, I don't know what is.  By your rationale, you "win" a debate by sticking your fingers in your ears and humming loudly.

Your "critiques" are irrelevant, because they are based on fundamental moral principles different from mine. That's what you don't understand. In discussions on morality, there are no objective facts that everyone can agree on, and which can form the basis for a resolution of the disagreement. If I'm arguing with a social Darwinist, I can bring him data and prove to him that inequalities have increased dramatically in the western world over the past decades, but I will never convince him that that's a bad thing.

It's interesting that you would bring up social darwinism.  When I read arguments to the effect of 'it's natural to eat meat because we evolved to do it', that doesn't sound much different to other remarks that you would no doubt find insensitive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies