Have you always supported/opposed gay marriage or have you changed your mind?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:23:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you always supported/opposed gay marriage or have you changed your mind?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Have you always supported/opposed gay marriage or have you changed your mind?
I have always supported gay marriage

I support gay marriage, but I used to oppose it

I have always opposed gay marriage

I oppose gay marriage, but I used to support it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Have you always supported/opposed gay marriage or have you changed your mind?  (Read 2192 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »

Always supported it. I never understood opposition to it.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 06:58:01 PM »

Went from opposing it to supporting it to now opposing it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »

I am one of those who once opposed gay marriage -and was reticent on gay/lesbian rights in general.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »

None of those options, really.

I never thought of it--and if I did, I never had an opinion one way or the other--till around 1998, when I was invited to a same-sex marriage.  Of course it wasn't called a "same sex marriage" and no one considered it binding, legally, but it was a ritual between two friends and I attended.

Once I heard of it as a formal arrangement, I think that I thought it was ridiculous.  After all, the one advantage homosexuals had was that they could at least count on their mothers not pestering them about when they would get married.  (I know!  I was 37 when I got married.  I envied my gay friends somewhat who had an excuse.  "No, mom, of course I'm not married yet.  I'm gay!  GTFO.")

Then, once it became a political issue I thought, "why not?

Since none of the options really fit, I didn't vote.  I suspect that if people are really being honest with themselves, there are many who are in the same boat as I am.  You should offer the following choice:

"Didn't really think about it until about 10 or 15 years ago.  Once it became an issue, then I quickly formed an opinion and I've always held that opinion ever since."

Moreover, I suspect that this would be a good choice for those who oppose it, those who support it, and those who really don't care one way or the other.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2015, 07:46:35 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2015, 07:53:49 PM by DavidB. »

Always supported it. It got legalized here when I was a kid and I can't remember that, since I was hardly politically aware by then, so I have always considered it something normal. Of course I have become quite conservative and I know many people who are vehemently opposed to same-sex marriage, but I don't believe they will ever convince me that the government should treat gay people differently than straight people. But I think my attitude toward this is very much influenced by the country in which I grew up. The entire same-sex marriage debate makes me feel extremely Dutch. Actually I'm quite proud that the Netherlands legalized it as the first country.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 07:49:34 PM »

Option 1 (same as Alfie)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies