Were you Ever in the Opposite Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:18:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Were you Ever in the Opposite Party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Were you Ever in the Opposite Party?  (Read 1397 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 01:34:16 AM »
« edited: September 28, 2015, 01:36:12 AM by bagelman »

I was a fan of George W. Bush in 2000 - I was also in first grade.

I was a democrat during and after '04, becoming one of the most liberal and politically aware students at my middle school. I went through all high school and my first election as a dem, only now am I seriously considering the conservative viewpoint. A major factor is thanks to the disaster that was George W. Bush I equated Republicans with big government that fights pointless wars and the Democrats with big government that ends wars and uses the money to help the people instead.

As for official registration, I think you register here when you vote in the primaries, so it depends on what the situation is then. Don't remember specifying a party when I registered.

Republican - 2000
None (no views) - 2001-2003
Democrat - 2004-2014
None (views moderated/in flux) - 2015
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »

I am a registered Pub who reregistered as a Dem, but in NY, that does not take effect until after the next election which is occurring this November for local races.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2015, 10:51:22 AM by DavidB. »

I used to hate Bush, and I supported Obama and the Democrats in 2008 because of my parents + my teachers + the Dutch media who are all anti-Republican + basically everybody in the Netherlands. Even the most right-wing politicians will be very careful in publicly saying that they support the GOP.

It was only around 2010/2011 when I really started to define my position in the American landscape for myself, which led me to hating Obama and liking Bush. I supported Gingrich in the primary and Romney in the general election in 2012.

In short, I basically never liked an American president when he was actually in office Tongue Hopefully that'll change in 2016.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 07:04:12 PM »

No, but I have gotten much more liberal on just about every issue (except maybe immigration and gun control) since I first REALLY tried to follow politics (2004 elections).  You can vote for whomever you want on Election Day, so I'll probably always register as a Republican out of ancestral pride even if there comes a day that the GOP has morphed into something so vile that I'm voting straight Dem (this would have to include the Democrats improving a lot, which I'm not bankin' on).
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »

I used to support the Liberal Party of Australia. It waned over a period of years but it wasn't till mid-2014 that I dropped them completely, as I shifted leftward.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 12:16:32 AM »

I considered myself a Republican for about a year. Pretty much my parents being as hard-right as they are it was tough to break away, but I did in late 2013. A combination of researching and listening to Ron Paul made me realize there were flaws and contradictions in conservative orthodoxy that led me to my moderate libertarianism now.

ElectionsGuy's political history is freakily almost identical to mine.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies