House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:15:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues  (Read 30602 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2015, 06:27:30 PM »

We had no government shutdowns, debt ceiling crises, credit downgrades, and general chaos under Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. And both President Bush a Republican and President Obama a Democrat were able to work with them on passing legislation.

It was objectively better. I'm going to call your "Independent" moniker to the carpet. If you don't believe Pelosi/Reid aren't objectively better for government stability, switch to R-MN right now

I'm not a republican. I support ObamaCare, immigration reform with citizenship, and so on. But I won't support any more of this bouncing between two sets of polarizing leaders either. Let's hold out until commonsense politicians like Kyrsten Sinema and Lisa Murkowski are elected to leadership positions.

lol then what on earth do you have against Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi? They're for all those things plus you can sleep easy knowing judicial seats won't sit vacant for years and our government won't default on its debt for no reason.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »

A "caretaker" is no solution. This isn't preschool. GOP caucus would be better served resigning all their seats than admit they need a caretaker.

Seriously Wufric, regardless of the issues, how could you possibly trust these people with control of the nation? They can't work with themselves much less opposition, much less another nation. A Republican President would not be effective with this current atmosphere of Republican Congress.

In fact, I'd say a President Kasich for example would be far more likely to be impeached by a Republican Congress than a Democratic one.

Imagine what would happen if a Republican President of the United States actually resigned due to a 30-something-sized House GOP "Liberty" caucus effectively holding him and his party hostage.

Talk about theatrics, and, unfortunately, too much of a real possibility. 
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »

lol then what on earth do you have against Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi? They're for all those things plus you can sleep easy knowing judicial seats won't sit vacant for years and our government won't default on its debt for no reason.
He's a gutless Republican hack hiding behind his "independent" moniker.
Attorney General & Senator Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2015, 07:41:05 PM »

We had no government shutdowns, debt ceiling crises, credit downgrades, and general chaos under Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. And both President Bush a Republican and President Obama a Democrat were able to work with them on passing legislation.

It was objectively better. I'm going to call your "Independent" moniker to the carpet. If you don't believe Pelosi/Reid aren't objectively better for government stability, switch to R-MN right now

I'm not a republican. I support ObamaCare, immigration reform with citizenship, and so on. But I won't support any more of this bouncing between two sets of polarizing leaders either. Let's hold out until commonsense politicians like Kyrsten Sinema and Lisa Murkowski are elected to leadership positions.

I hate partisans. Pelosi, Reid, and Schumer FTR are some of the worst partisans in all of congress.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

Why is loyalty to one's party such a bad trait?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2015, 07:59:35 PM »

A good politician makes some concessions to the other side for the purpose of governing. Otherwise, nothing gets done unless one party has a house majority, a senate supermajority, and the presidency all at once, which almost never happens.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2015, 08:02:41 PM »

A good politician makes some concessions to the other side for the purpose of governing. Otherwise, nothing gets done unless one party has a house majority, a senate supermajority, and the presidency all at once, which almost never happens.
I can't believe you right now. Ridiculous.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2015, 08:06:34 PM »

Boehner un-resigning is a PR nightmare. They need to elect somebody else.

King for Speaker!
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2015, 11:36:07 PM »

Nearly every major bill Speaker Pelosi passed contained significant concessions to the GOP. But it didn't matter to the Republican Caucus because they were more intent on stifling the current President than doing their jobs and governing. As King has rightly stated, this party is not serious about governing.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2015, 12:40:13 AM »

Wulfric might as well change his username to David Broder's Ghost.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »

Random anecdote (as always with such things, take it with a grain of salt): A friend of mine who is a really right-wing evangelical SoCon (he wanted a Mike Huckabee/Tom Coburn ticket in 2008, a Rick Santorum/Ron Johnson ticket in 2012, and initially wanted a Ben Carson/Pat Toomey this time around until the good doctor jumped aboard the crazy train in that Meet the Press interview), said he is going to write-in for the Presidential race (regardless of the Republican nominee), as well as vote for Strickland and whatever sacrificial lamb gets nominated to run against Tiberi due to precisely what King was talking about: even putting all ideological considerations aside, with this latest mess national Republicans have proven once again proven themselves objectively incapable of governing. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2015, 09:28:49 AM »

I hate partisans. Pelosi, Reid, and Schumer FTR are some of the worst partisans in all of congress.

But are they any less partisan than the GOP leadership? And they're 1,000,000x more competent at the simple tasks of confirming appointments in a timely manner, scheduling votes, and keeping the government from shutting down.

Your position makes no sense.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »

Sabato's Crystal Ball wrote a piece on the 'Republican Doomsday Scenario' in the House.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »

Krugman on Paul Ryan:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/10/08/flimflam-fever/?_r=0
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/rep-issa-im-considering-running-for-house-speaker.html

Also, lunch break is about to end, so no time to get a link atm, but apparently the Freedom Caucus won't back Paul Ryan if he runs for Speaker.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »

Issa would be just the kind of snake Republicans deserve.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »

Might as well post it here since I reside (Sad) in one of the mentioned districts:

U.S. Reps. Mike Conaway, R-Midland, and Bill Flores, R-Bryan, are considering bids for the gavel, in light of U.S. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s withdrawal from the speaker’s race on Thursday.

Texas Tribune
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »

Paul Ryan doesn't like freedom enough, I agree.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/09/politics/house-speaker-race-paul-ryan/index.html

Ryan reconsidering!
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »

Even Romney called him. It's amazing what pressure does.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »

Looks like he may be Speaker whether he wants to be or not.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »

He has to know his district isn't safe enough to take a job this unpopular. I'm guessing that's why he doesn't want it.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »

If the Freedom Caucus is refusing to back Ryan, doesn't that negate the whole point of him running in the first place?  If I were a Republican, I would be absolutely furious with these people.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »

"Reconsidering?"

He's basically in now. And that means that he's basically Speaker.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2015, 04:44:49 PM »

If the Freedom Caucus is refusing to back Ryan, doesn't that negate the whole point of him running in the first place?  If I were a Republican, I would be absolutely furious with these people.

I believe jdb is confused - his link doesn't say the Freedom Caucus is refusing to back Ryan (and indeed they haven't said that at all)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies