House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:54:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues  (Read 30516 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 07:13:27 AM »

Price is very right of center, but so is Scalise, and Price doesn't have the baggage that Scalise has.

And being from Oklahoma and knowing the congressionial field, I'm very surprised that Tom Cole, a Boehner ally and a guy obviously rising through the ranks, isn't going for spot #3 and Markwayne Mullin (who, for all intents and purposes, is a backbencher even compared to Cruzite Jim Bridenstine from my district) is running for it.

Price is the kind of guy who has significant appeal to both major factions within the GOP. He is a member of the establishment but rhetorically he is very conservative.

Regarding the Whip race, I'd say it's still entirely tenuous this early on. I assume Tom Cole isn't running because he's more-or-less next in line to replace McHenry as Chief Deputy Whip in the event if McHenry wins
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 07:38:50 AM »

Mia Love and Jason Chaffetz to support drafting Trey Gowdy for Majority Leader.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/the-gavel/2015/09/jason-chaffetz-says-trey-gowdy-could-be-next-majority-leader-214196?cmpid=sf
https://www.facebook.com/repmialove/posts/443656592488671
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »

The Speaker can be from the minority party?

It says a lot about the average American that even people who post on politics forums haven't even bothered to read the Constitution.

I'm sorry but I don't see how "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers" would, on its own, definitively answer Mr. Bigby's question

There is zero mention of political parties ANYWHERE in the Constitution so why would being in the majority party be a prerequisite for a job outlined in the document?

This is basic Constitution stuff.  It doesn't even require reading comprehension.

You brought up the Constitution first.  Huh

Say what you want but there is no party litmus test for the Speaker of the House in the Constitution.  When in doubt default to the Constitution.  One would think that goes without saying on a politics forum.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 07:43:30 AM »

Candidates for Speaker
Kevin McCarthy
Daniel Webster

if McCarthy becomes Speaker, there will be an election for a new Majority Leader

Candidates for Majority Leader
Steve Scalise
Tom Price

if McCarthy becomes Speaker and Scalise replaces him, there will be an election for a new Majority Whip

Candidates for Majority Whip
Dennis Ross
Markwayne Mullin
Patrick McHenry

also rumored to be interested in any nonspecific leadership position: Peter Roskam, Pete Sessions

All white Christian men. That's nice. Finally that disadvantaged group gets some taste of power.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 08:06:04 AM »

All white Christian men. That's nice. Finally that disadvantaged group gets some taste of power.

Okay that's one battle, but they are still losing the war on Christianity. [/s]
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »

I doubt it will happen because it would get in the way of his Benghazi investigation, but I'll add his name in the OP until he denies he's running
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »

The Speaker can be from the minority party?

It says a lot about the average American that even people who post on politics forums haven't even bothered to read the Constitution.

I'm sorry but I don't see how "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers" would, on its own, definitively answer Mr. Bigby's question

There is zero mention of political parties ANYWHERE in the Constitution so why would being in the majority party be a prerequisite for a job outlined in the document?

This is basic Constitution stuff.  It doesn't even require reading comprehension.

You brought up the Constitution first.  Huh

Say what you want but there is no party litmus test for the Speaker of the House in the Constitution.  When in doubt default to the Constitution.  One would think that goes without saying on a politics forum.

I understood Bigby's question to be whether the election of the Speaker requires a majority vote or a simple plurality. The answer to that question is of course nowhere in the Constitution but rather in the House rules.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »

Yeah, that's the thing. A lot of rules about the House have been formed over the years and are not from the Constitution. You won't find the Hastert Rule in the Constitution, for example.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »

Yeah, that's the thing. A lot of rules about the House have been formed over the years and are not from the Constitution. You won't find the Hastert Rule in the Constitution, for example.

Yeah but when in doubt go with the Constitution.  The default assumption should be party is not a prerequisite.  Confirmation shouldn't cause surprise.

FYI the "Hastert Rule" isn't in the Constitution... and is ignored at times.  So you're proving my point.  You asked "can".  And yes a lot of things "can" happen according to the Constitution.  That doesn't necessarily mean they are likely to happen.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »

You do realize that if Webster gets 20+ votes, it could hand over the Speakership to Pelosi. Is that what you guys in the Tea Party want?

The speaker needs a majority of the votes cast, so Pelosi wouldn't win. There would be additional ballots until someone wins with a majority.

Not necessarily. In 1855, following the collapse of the Whig Party, no party had a majority in Congress (the Dems had a plurality, with the remaining seats divided amongst various opposition parties). After 30-some consecutive votes in which no candidate managed to win a majority, the House changed the rules to allow the Speaker to be elected with a plurality, giving the office to Know-Nothing Nathaniel Banks. It's not inconceivable that something similar could occur again if the Tea Party sticks to its guns.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

Not necessarily. In 1855, following the collapse of the Whig Party, no party had a majority in Congress (the Dems had a plurality, with the remaining seats divided amongst various opposition parties). After 30-some consecutive votes in which no candidate managed to win a majority, the House changed the rules to allow the Speaker to be elected with a plurality, giving the office to Know-Nothing Nathaniel Banks. It's not inconceivable that something similar could occur again if the Tea Party sticks to its guns.

Wow.

Are you a history major or did you just google that?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »

Price is very right of center, but so is Scalise, and Price doesn't have the baggage that Scalise has.

And being from Oklahoma and knowing the congressionial field, I'm very surprised that Tom Cole, a Boehner ally and a guy obviously rising through the ranks, isn't going for spot #3 and Markwayne Mullin (who, for all intents and purposes, is a backbencher even compared to Cruzite Jim Bridenstine from my district) is running for it.

I feel like Cole really, really screwed something up in leadership a while back, but I can't remember what. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 05:18:07 PM »

I feel like Cole really, really screwed something up in leadership a while back, but I can't remember what. 

He could've. I can't remember either. But Cole's obviously the only guy in the Oklahoma congressional delegation I wouldn't be completely ashamed to see in leadership.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »

He could've. I can't remember either. But Cole's obviously the only guy in the Oklahoma congressional delegation I wouldn't be completely ashamed to see in leadership.

You don't like Bridenstine?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »

My positions overall have changed, and I mean, Bridenstine is better than Mullin or Lucas, but he's very much a bombthrower and not the brightest bulb.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

My positions overall have changed, and I mean, Bridenstine is better than Mullin or Lucas, but he's very much a bombthrower and not the brightest bulb.
God you have changed your positions very rampantly
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »

OP is updated.

The House Republicans are considering passing a motion that would require leadership candidates to vacate their current leadership roll before they can run for a new one. Both the leadership and the Freedom Caucus are said to be supportive, so there's a good chance it will pass. If it does, this means all three elections would happen at the same time.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »

OP is updated.

The House Republicans are considering passing a motion that would require leadership candidates to vacate their current leadership roll before they can run for a new one. Both the leadership and the Freedom Caucus are said to be supportive, so there's a good chance it will pass. If it does, this means all three elections would happen at the same time.
Might also mean Scalise will drop out and stay as whip.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 10:46:18 PM »

So is Cathy not running anymore?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2015, 11:12:53 PM »

No she endorsed price. If scalise wins the post she might run for whip
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2015, 12:38:29 AM »

Bridenstine is by far my least favorite oklahome politician .
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 04:55:04 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 04:57:16 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

The only non Christian Republican in Congress is a freshman. The party isn't noted for their diversity in other two respects, either.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »

The only non Christian Republican in Congress is a freshman. The party isn't noted for their diversity in other two respects, either.

Who is it, and is he Jewish?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:36 PM »

Who is it, and is he Jewish?

A Lee Zeldin, of New York's 1st, and yes. Following Cantor's loss, of course, there looked like there would be no Republican non-Christians in congress at all.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »

Pete Roskam is out of the running.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies