House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:51:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14
Author Topic: House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues  (Read 30557 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »

Pretty much.

BREAKING: Paul Ryan has cancelled all fundraisers for the next 48 hours
An end in sight!
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »

The hype surrounding Paul Ryan continues to build. It's leaked that Boehner personally asked him to reconsider, he's McCarthy's top choice, and he was mentioned as an acceptable candidate for Speaker by literally every Republican Member of Congress I saw interviewed today (at least twenty of them)

I can get on board with this
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »

The hype surrounding Paul Ryan continues to build. It's leaked that Boehner personally asked him to reconsider, he's McCarthy's top choice, and he was mentioned as an acceptable candidate for Speaker by literally every Republican Member of Congress I saw interviewed today (at least twenty of them)

I'm pretty sure that he will be branded a traitor the moment he tries to raise the debt ceiling or pass some spending bills.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »

Source? I'm having trouble finding anything other than a fleeting mention
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »

'Good grief:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »

'Good grief:

I feel like we have to be missing something here...
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »

'Good grief:

Stepping down from leadership, or resigning from congress entirely?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »

Luke Russert said it on MSNBC about thirty seconds before I posted it
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »

Wow!  This is crazy.  So much drama!  So much suspense!
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »

They mentioned it on CNN as well
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »

I'm pretty sure that he will be branded a traitor the moment he tries to raise the debt ceiling or pass some spending bills.

Exactly. Ryan is smarter than this.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »

There must be some serious moves going on behind the scenes
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »

There must be some serious moves going on behind the scenes
Or, the House GOP caucus has been reduced to running around with their hair on fair in chaos while a number of their members weep together in secluded cloakrooms.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »

It is possible that Boehner would make a deal with Ryan to get a debt limit and budget vote through first before he hands over the gavel
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »

McCain says the Democrats deserve to win if the Republicans don't get their act together before Election Day.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »

McCain says the Democrats deserve to win if the Republicans don't get their act together before Election Day.

They'll have this all figured out by November 2016. Even if a 'caretaker speaker' is agreed on, it doesn't mean the fighting stops until 2017. The party will settle things and it will be clear who will be Speaker on election day 2016.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:23 PM »

They'll have this all figured out by November 2016. Even if a 'caretaker speaker' is agreed on, it doesn't mean the fighting stops until 2017. The party will settle things and it will be clear who will be Speaker on election day 2016.
In reality, you have no idea.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »

In reality, you have no idea.

True. But I think it would set a world record if it took over a year to choose a new long-term party leader.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »

A "caretaker" is no solution. This isn't preschool. GOP caucus would be better served resigning all their seats than admit they need a caretaker.

Seriously Wufric, regardless of the issues, how could you possibly trust these people with control of the nation? They can't work with themselves much less opposition, much less another nation. A Republican President would not be effective with this current atmosphere of Republican Congress.

In fact, I'd say a President Kasich for example would be far more likely to be impeached by a Republican Congress than a Democratic one.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2015, 05:57:51 PM »

A "caretaker" is no solution. This isn't preschool. GOP caucus would be better served resigning all their seats than admit they need a caretaker.

Seriously Wufric, regardless of the issues, how could you possibly trust these people with control of the nation? They can't work with themselves much less opposition, much less another nation. A Republican President would not be effective with this current atmosphere of Republican Congress.

In fact, I'd say a President Kasich for example would be far more likely to be impeached by a Republican Congress than a Democratic one.

The alternative is Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid leading everything. And I don't see that as being any better.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »

We had no government shutdowns, debt ceiling crises, credit downgrades, and general chaos under Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. And both President Bush a Republican and President Obama a Democrat were able to work with them on passing legislation.

It was objectively better. I'm going to call your "Independent" moniker to the carpet. If you don't believe Pelosi/Reid aren't objectively better for government stability, switch to R-MN right now
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »

We had no government shutdowns, debt ceiling crises, credit downgrades, and general chaos under Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. And both President Bush a Republican and President Obama a Democrat were able to work with them on passing legislation.

It was objectively better. I'm going to call your "Independent" moniker to the carpet. If you don't believe Pelosi/Reid aren't objectively better for government stability, switch to R-MN right now

I'm not a republican. I support ObamaCare, immigration reform with citizenship, and so on. But I won't support any more of this bouncing between two sets of polarizing leaders either. Let's hold out until commonsense politicians like Kyrsten Sinema and Lisa Murkowski are elected to leadership positions.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2015, 06:12:39 PM »

I guess we are going to default on our debt waiting for Lisa Murkowski and Kyrsten Sinema to ascend to the leadership.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »

classic Wulfric

> evade the question asked (because he knows he is wrong)
> respond with some moderate hero fantasy

Pelosi was incredibly partisan as speaker; she was also the most effective speaker in decades. She had masterful control over a more diverse and similarly-sized caucus, whereas Boehner has floundered. And Boehner is one of the good ones!

The Republican Party needs to be ejected from Congress until they're ready to lead. Throwing a tantrum every time you cant get everything you want, getting our credit downgraded, or reflexively voting down the policies of the executive because they came from a black Democrat are not behaviors that should be condoned.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies