Short Rubio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:49:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Short Rubio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Short Rubio  (Read 2889 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:24:51 PM »
« edited: September 28, 2015, 10:57:30 PM by Yelnoc »

He's not at all ready for the prime time. Now that you people [belt way insiders, their children, and other hangers on] are taking him seriously, he's a ticking time bomb. If you're in any betting markets, I'd cash out the week before the next debate. Seriously, there is no way that man gets any serious traction, much less wins anything.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »

It'd be hilarious if Jeb drops out and Rubio and Kasich are the last two establishment figures standing.   
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »

So...Rubio is almost exactly 10 years younger than Obama. Remember how people marveled at how young Obama was when he was elected at age 47? Rubio will be 45 on Inauguration Day and looks about a decade younger than he is. America will have its first Babyface-American President.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »

I definitely can see it your way - He's not exactly a policy wonk, and we barely know about the already sketchy financial background he has, including his relationship with ethically challenged Former Congressman David Rivera. I think he has more baggage than that.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2015, 09:31:23 PM by Averroës »

Opened this thread expecting it to be about Rubio's height: At 5'10'' he is near the average for American males but well below average for post WWII presidential nominees.

I'm not buying the chatter about his weaknesses. He's shown himself to be more politically astute than any other conventionally credentialed Republican who is running, and every candidate in the Republican field has baggage - from knife fights, to Aqua Buddha, to "Bridgegate," to attempted jewelry-smuggling. If there's one candidate in the field who can win a two-way contest against any other primary candidate, it's Rubio (whether Trump remains in the mix as a third force or not). I've been convinced for a couple of months that Rubio is better positioned than any other candidate to emerge from Jeb's wreckage, and I haven't yet seen any indication to the contrary.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »

I definitely can see it your way - He's not exactly a policy wonk, and we barely know about the already sketchy financial background he has, including his relationship with ethically challenged Former Congressman David Rivera. I think he has more baggage than that.

Policy writing and analysis isn't the point of a presidential campaign, but Rubio's campaign has done more to demonstrate policy literacy (or, at least, the kind of policy literacy that presidential candidates are usually expected to have) than almost any other Republican outfit. A month ago most of his competitors didn't even have "issue" pages on their campaign websites, and I would not be surprised if this is still the case.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 09:38:57 PM »

I disagree with this crazy idea that Senator Rubio isn't a policy wonk, he has been bold during the course of this campaign. His positions on the issues are clearly laid out on his website, he has articulated his positions during the debates, and he has gone to work on issues he cares about in the Florida Legislature and in the U.S. Senate. He was the first candidate to really publish detailed proposals on his website.

Trump attacks him because he's hispanic, let's be honest.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 10:20:44 PM »

Marco Rubio is a political insider who's whole life has been politics.  He has the look and feel of a manager trainee who's not really ready for the GM's job.

Traditionally, guys like Rubio work their way up.  Maybe a Senate leadership position, maybe a Cabinet appointment, maybe even VP.  But the top job?  Why Marco Rubio; what has he done, really, that's all that special?

It hurts Rubio that he's Hispanic because his youth and lack of experience at the higher levels of politics make it seem as if he's being boosted beyond where he's really at.  If he weren't Hispanic, he wouldn't be in the position he's in, and even he knows this.  At a certain point, the "Affirmative Action" aspect of those boosting him is going to hurt him.  I will say, however, that this may not kick in until AFTER he's the GOP nominee.  He's the most likely "establishment" candidate to grab that brass ring.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »

Marco Rubio is a political insider who's whole life has been politics.  He has the look and feel of a manager trainee who's not really ready for the GM's job.

Traditionally, guys like Rubio work their way up.  Maybe a Senate leadership position, maybe a Cabinet appointment, maybe even VP.  But the top job?  Why Marco Rubio; what has he done, really, that's all that special?

It hurts Rubio that he's Hispanic because his youth and lack of experience at the higher levels of politics make it seem as if he's being boosted beyond where he's really at.  If he weren't Hispanic, he wouldn't be in the position he's in, and even he knows this.  At a certain point, the "Affirmative Action" aspect of those boosting him is going to hurt him.  I will say, however, that this may not kick in until AFTER he's the GOP nominee.  He's the most likely "establishment" candidate to grab that brass ring.

Pretty much everything you wrote was said of Obama in 2008. Ultimately Rubio's youth, with the right message, is the best contrast against any of the senior citizen aged Democratic candidates he'll be up against. Appearances matter, and appearing younger makes you look and feel more like an outsider than you really are. Obama was a perfect example of that. It'll ultimately serve as an advantage instead of a disadvantage.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »

Pretty much everything you wrote was said of Obama in 2008. Ultimately Rubio's youth, with the right message, is the best contrast against any of the senior citizen aged Democratic candidates he'll be up against. Appearances matter, and appearing younger makes you look and feel more like an outsider than you really are. Obama was a perfect example of that. It'll ultimately serve as an advantage instead of a disadvantage.

Do you approve of Obama's presidency?
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 11:00:54 PM »

No. Not because of his inexperience though, I disagree with his policies.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »

You don't think his inability to wheel and deal with the senate or his foreign policy ineptitude my in some manner stem from his inadequate preparation for the office?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:06 PM »

Trump annihilated ¡Jeb!, Paul, and Walker. The Rube is clearly next on the chopping block. 
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »

You don't think his inability to wheel and deal with the senate or his foreign policy ineptitude my in some manner stem from his inadequate preparation for the office?

Dealing with Congress? No. Obama is the most liberal President since LBJ and the Republican Party has been drifting to the right ever since Reagan. His inability to cooperate with Congress is due to ideological clashes. A centrist like Bill Clinton was able to find more common ground with Gingrich Republicans than a liberal like Obama could with Tea Party Republicans.  

Foreign Policy? To an extent. Foreign Policy is an issue where experience arguably matters the most. Thankfully, this also happens to be Rubio's strongest area. I've been following the debates closely and I believe that he knows what he's talking about. He sounds stronger and more informed on foreign policy than most if not all of his colleagues on stage.  
Krago
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »

every candidate in the Republican field has baggage - from knife fights, to Aqua Buddha, to "Bridgegate," to attempted jewelry-smuggling.

I knew Bridgegate was Chris Christie, but I had to google the other references.  I guess 'Aqua Buddha' involves Rand Paul, and attempted jewelry-smuggling probably has something to do with Columba Bush.  But I am at a loss about the knife fights.  Anyone?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »

every candidate in the Republican field has baggage - from knife fights, to Aqua Buddha, to "Bridgegate," to attempted jewelry-smuggling.

I knew Bridgegate was Chris Christie, but I had to google the other references.  I guess 'Aqua Buddha' involves Rand Paul, and attempted jewelry-smuggling probably has something to do with Columba Bush.  But I am at a loss about the knife fights.  Anyone?

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 07:26:16 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2015, 07:45:48 AM by Bull Moose Base »

Marco Rubio is a political insider who's whole life has been politics.  He has the look and feel of a manager trainee who's not really ready for the GM's job.

Traditionally, guys like Rubio work their way up.  Maybe a Senate leadership position, maybe a Cabinet appointment, maybe even VP.  But the top job?  Why Marco Rubio; what has he done, really, that's all that special?

It hurts Rubio that he's Hispanic because his youth and lack of experience at the higher levels of politics make it seem as if he's being boosted beyond where he's really at.  If he weren't Hispanic, he wouldn't be in the position he's in, and even he knows this.  At a certain point, the "Affirmative Action" aspect of those boosting him is going to hurt him.  I will say, however, that this may not kick in until AFTER he's the GOP nominee.  He's the most likely "establishment" candidate to grab that brass ring.

Dealing with Congress? No. Obama is the most liberal President since LBJ and the Republican Party has been drifting to the right ever since Reagan. His inability to cooperate with Congress is due to ideological clashes. A centrist like Bill Clinton was able to find more common ground with Gingrich Republicans than a liberal like Obama could with Tea Party Republicans.  

Foreign Policy? To an extent. Foreign Policy is an issue where experience arguably matters the most. Thankfully, this also happens to be Rubio's strongest area. I've been following the debates closely and I believe that he knows what he's talking about. He sounds stronger and more informed on foreign policy than most if not all of his colleagues on stage.  

In the last 40 years, only Bush Sr had more foreign policy experience than Obama coming into office. Rubio likewise would have more than Bill Clinton, Bush Jr, Reagan or Carter but he'd also be far behind Hillary Clinton. He also doesn't strike me as anywhere near as smart as Hillary or Obama but it's hard to tell when his debate opponents have been Scott Walker, Ben Carson, Donald Trump.

I also think the argument that Obama failed to wheel and deal with the senate is ridiculous and am largely happy with his foreign policy.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 07:55:11 AM »

Marco Rubio is a political insider who's whole life has been politics.  He has the look and feel of a manager trainee who's not really ready for the GM's job.

Traditionally, guys like Rubio work their way up.  Maybe a Senate leadership position, maybe a Cabinet appointment, maybe even VP.  But the top job?  Why Marco Rubio; what has he done, really, that's all that special?

It hurts Rubio that he's Hispanic because his youth and lack of experience at the higher levels of politics make it seem as if he's being boosted beyond where he's really at.  If he weren't Hispanic, he wouldn't be in the position he's in, and even he knows this.  At a certain point, the "Affirmative Action" aspect of those boosting him is going to hurt him.  I will say, however, that this may not kick in until AFTER he's the GOP nominee.  He's the most likely "establishment" candidate to grab that brass ring.

In the last 40 years, only Bush Sr had more foreign policy experience than Obama coming into office. Rubio likewise would have more than Bill Clinton, Bush Jr, Reagan or Carter but he'd also be far behind Hillary Clinton. He also doesn't strike me as anywhere near as smart as Hillary or Obama but it's hard to tell when his debate opponents have been Scott Walker, Ben Carson, Donald Trump.

I also think the argument that Obama failed to wheel and deal with the senate is ridiculous and am largely happy with his foreign policy.

Pelosi's senate sure. Not the House Republicans after the 2010 election though. Hillary is one of the few Democrats who is quite good on foreign policy. She wouldn't have been as much of a dove as Obama has been. My issue with her is on economics.
HillOfANight
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:18 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/29/us/politics/in-florida-senator-marco-rubio-talks-with-retirees-about-age.html

I think this is instructive of how people will feel about Rubio.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My own opinion is, Rubio doesn't have a track record, he doesn't have success, financially or legislatively (his amnesty failed). He is articulate, but doesn't have the best pulse on the audience (terrible water joke). But he will consolidate support when Jeb/Kasich drop out, then Trump will trump him.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 08:23:54 AM »

Hahaha geez could it be any more obvious Dems fear the hell out of Marco Rubio in a general election?! Young, hispanic, from the biggest swing state in America.....

Sorry fellas, he will be the nominate, GL hillary hehe
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »

The fact that Marco Rubio has been a political insider is actually a big reason he's my second choice and Jeb Bush is my first - I think for these times, we need a Governor with private sector experience. I believe experience in a state legislature prepares one to be in congress or the U.S. Senate, it only prepares one for certain aspects of the presidency. With that being said, Marco Rubio has shown time after time that he is a thoughtful leader with a strong grasp of a host of issues. Unlike Ted Cruz, he isn't just about giving speeches or getting on television, he is also serious about policy. He won as an anti-establishment candidate and has won the respect of both the establishment and the grassroots.

Also, Rubio can't change his heritage, though I'm sure some Trump supporters won't vote for him because he's hispanic but to be fair, I won't vote for a skinhead or white supremacist like the Donald. 

I think Ted Cruz is the GOP candidate who can best be compared to Obama on experience, though Trump is the closest to Obama on policy by far. People are in awe of Cruz within the Republican base because of what he says, he has zero accomplishments and is just an ideologue who says no to everything without proposing alternative policies. Marco Rubio is far more serious than Barack Obama and Ted Cruz and additionally, he was an effective legislator in Florida, Barack Obama consistently voted "present" as an Illinois legislator.  
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »

I disagree with this crazy idea that Senator Rubio isn't a policy wonk, he has been bold during the course of this campaign. His positions on the issues are clearly laid out on his website, he has articulated his positions during the debates, and he has gone to work on issues he cares about in the Florida Legislature and in the U.S. Senate. He was the first candidate to really publish detailed proposals on his website.

Trump attacks him because he's hispanic, let's be honest.
He also wrote a book on policy when he was Florida House Speaker. He's not quite Paul Ryan, but he's not a Trump either.
Mogrovejo
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »

He's not at all ready for the prime time. Now that you people [belt way insiders, their children, and other hangers on] are taking him seriously, he's a ticking time bomb. If you're in any betting markets, I'd cash out the week before the next debate. Seriously, there is no way that man gets any serious traction, much less wins anything.

Why?

Pretty much everything you wrote was said of Obama in 2008.

Yeah, I was going to note that. Swap the names and Hispanic for AA and you have something that was wrote a milion times about Obama in 2007.

I've been convinced for a couple of months that Rubio is better positioned than any other candidate to emerge from Jeb's wreckage, and I haven't yet seen any indication to the contrary.

Same here. Actually I think it's becoming increasingly unlikely that Rubio doesn't win the nomination.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »

Normally I'd agree, but I could write a similar post about every other candidate. Someone has to win.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »

This is the mega neocon who thinks invading Iraq was a good idea? Jesus.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies