What should the age of consent be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:13:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What should the age of consent be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
None

<10

>25

Pre-marital sex should be illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: What should the age of consent be?  (Read 4672 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »

Discuss
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »

Variable depending on the partner's age.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:35:38 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »

I voted 14, but I see a case for 15 because more and more I see ridiculously creepy people out there. Maybe like a 8-10 year age difference for 14? And beyond that, the penalty should likely be small with room for larger if there is something obviously wrong with it depending on the scenario as much as I hate to leave that interpretation to a jury of Americans or even worse, a judge.

I also wouldn't mind if pre-marital sex was just illegal, but even knowing that would never happen, I have a lot of reservations on the enforcement of that potential fine - especially for young people. I don't want to entrust anyone with that information, local police departments least of all.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »

Gun to the head probably 15 as a bare minimum, though up to the age of 18 or thereabouts (however long they are living with their parents), the partners involved have to be of a similar age -I don't want some 40-45 year old man screwing a 15-year old girl.    
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:11:19 AM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:14:13 AM »

Baseline of 16 with wiggle room depending on the closeness of the ages of the partners involved. Meaning, I don't think a 14 year old should be having sex with a 30 year old, but a 14 year old having sex with a 16 year old is probably fine.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »

Baseline of 16 with wiggle room depending on the closeness of the ages of the partners involved. Meaning, I don't think a 14 year old should be having sex with a 30 year old, but a 14 year old having sex with a 16 year old is probably fine.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 08:42:25 AM »

I agree with the majority that have posted.  If you're young (under 18), everybody involved should be close to the same age. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:14:48 AM »

There shouldn't be an 'age of consent.' Trying to force human sexuality into a legislated box is always a bad idea and should be avoided at all costs. So long as everyone involved agrees at the time to engage in sexual activity and understands what they are agreeing to, they should be allowed to engage in said activity without the heavy hand of the law waiting to scoop them up and throw them in jail or place them on a barbaric 'sex offender' registry.

Gun to the head probably 15 as a bare minimum, though up to the age of 18 or thereabouts (however long they are living with their parents), the partners involved have to be of a similar age -I don't want some 40-45 year old man screwing a 15-year old girl.     

If the 15 year old consents, why is it any of your business? Sounds like you need a hobby if it bothers you that much. I would remind you that the idea that 15 year olds are 'children' is a very, very recent idea, a result of society extending childhood beyond its biological scope into young adulthood.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »

It's funny how the bar graph makes almost a perfect curve but then abruptly goes down to zero at 17.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »

17 seems reasonable to me. That should also be the voting and drinking age IMO. I work with/still know a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds, and still remember what it was like around that age, and I feel that there is a immense amount of maturing that takes place between those ages.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »

Raise it to 18 while lowering the gambling and drinking age to 18 as well. Make one conside number for adulthood, damnit.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 05:14:22 PM »

Raise it to 18 while lowering the gambling and drinking age to 18 as well. Make one conside number for adulthood, damnit.
How about driving?
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »

How about driving?

Eh, now that you mention it, keep that as-is. You need all of that training while you're a teen.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 08:21:22 PM »

Pre marital sex should be illegal and the minimum age for marriage should be 18.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »

Pre marital sex should be illegal and the minimum age for marriage should be 18.

Are you for real?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »

There shouldn't be an 'age of consent.' Trying to force human sexuality into a legislated box is always a bad idea and should be avoided at all costs. So long as everyone involved agrees at the time to engage in sexual activity and understands what they are agreeing to, they should be allowed to engage in said activity without the heavy hand of the law waiting to scoop them up and throw them in jail or place them on a barbaric 'sex offender' registry.

If the 15 year old consents, why is it any of your business? Sounds like you need a hobby if it bothers you that much. I would remind you that the idea that 15 year olds are 'children' is a very, very recent idea, a result of society extending childhood beyond its biological scope into young adulthood.

TNF nails it as usual.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 10:23:58 PM »

Easy enough to say when you are arguing about someone else's daughter.  Try to picture this wayward teen as your own daughter, and you'll understand why these laws exist.   

Nailed what?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »

You should ask Tender. As far as nailing goes, he seems to be the expert.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 11:10:13 PM »

Easy enough to say when you are arguing about someone else's daughter.  Try to picture this wayward teen as your own daughter, and you'll understand why these laws exist.  

I wouldn't be a creep who would be trying to monitor everything that my daughter did of her own free well (like you presumably would), so no, I can't really sympathize with your retrograde denial of another person's sexuality on account of it making you uncomfortable. Also, it's really funny that you consider a 15 year old that would want to have sex with someone else a 'wayward teen'. Just because you never had sexual desire at that age doesn't mean that the rest of us didn't (although given that this is Atlas...you never know Tongue).
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 12:34:33 AM »

Oh look, pedo advocacy. 12-year-olds need to be free to explore their sexuality with a consenting adult and all that.

Perhaps some people should get G-DE avatars?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:46 AM »

18 is reasonable.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 05:17:27 AM »

Oh look, pedo advocacy. 12-year-olds need to be free to explore their sexuality with a consenting adult and all that.

Perhaps some people should get G-DE avatars?

What is the implication here? The shape?
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 07:54:30 AM »

Are you for real?

Take your stupid questions elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies