If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:11:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Author Topic: If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be  (Read 69592 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2016, 12:22:26 AM »

Oh I have a good one: abandon the two thirds majority needed to ratify treaties.

It would weaken the US in treaty negotiations. Furthermore, it would make treaty ratification easier than passage of regular laws. Treaties then could be passed by a simple majority vote of the Senate - ok, 60 votes, since they would still be subject to filibuster, but so are the laws - whereas regular laws would still need the House. Consequently, you would get presidents, especially if they have the Senate, but not the House majority, go around concluding meaningless treaties with Marshall Islands and Palau, enshrining all sorts of provisions as US international obligations.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2016, 12:28:16 AM »

Oh I have a good one: abandon the two thirds majority needed to ratify treaties.

Many international contracts are approved by congress via a Resolution; passed by a simple majority in both houses. Back in 1845, President John Tyler got the annexion of Texas through congress by a simple law, after he failed to secure 2/3 of the senate. As far as I know, courts upheld his procedure since then as constitutional.

In fact, US ratifies most international treaties as congressional-executive agreements (or even simple executive agreements). Pretty much all free trade agreements are such, for instance.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2016, 12:37:37 AM »

1. Redistricting amendment, explicitly prohibiting states from using political considerations in drawing districts. Details should be negotiable, but it should involve either explicitly requiring states to establish redistricting commissions, or simply giving the power to courts. In addition, political considerations should be explicitly banned.

2. Clarification of the 2nd amendment, emphasizing the role of the well-regulated militia and establishing limitations on the individual right to bear arms.

3. DC representation and home rule (or else, statehood).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2016, 02:01:08 AM »

Are you insinuating that universal healthcare for all people is a bad thing while other countries have them? Yeah, I realize healthcare for all means higher taxes, but I'd rather have to pay higher taxes for healthcare and education than for another war or for corporate welfare, which we spend more on than social welfare.
No, I mean enshrining it as a "right" is a bad thing.  I'm all for universal health care, so long as it is elected representatives and not unelected judges deciding which services are to be covered.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2016, 10:27:01 AM »

The big hurdle with elected officials is that they might be influenced by these special interest groups to prevent it.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »

LGBT is a protected class

We are not a Christian nation

No death penalty

No second amendment

Healthcare is a right
Since when are LGBT people a class, I thought they were a sexual orientation or martial status. Secondly, I don't believe that we are a technically a Christian nation, that issue has already been resolved in the 1700's with the First Admendment. I do believe though that we technically can't say that we aren't a Christian Nation as a majority of US Citizens are Christians. No death penalty could happen but in this day, I think we could have it for the most dangerous a la The Boston Bombers, ISIS Members and other Terrorists. The No Second Admendment one is very dangerous, I believe, look at Nazi Germany, Mao's China and the Soviet Union which are some of the worst dictatorships on the face of the modern war, for the most part the right to own firearms was banned (besides the military). I agree with True Federalist on the Healthcare part. I feel like you got this information out of a Sanders speech or some Communist thing.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »

No death penalty

No second amendment

Healthcare is a right
Since when are LGBT people a class, I thought they were a sexual orientation or martial status. Secondly, I don't believe that we are a technically a Christian nation, that issue has already been resolved in the 1700's with the First Admendment. I do believe though that we technically can't say that we aren't a Christian Nation as a majority of US Citizens are Christians. No death penalty could happen but in this day, I think we could have it for the most dangerous a la The Boston Bombers, ISIS Members and other Terrorists. The No Second Admendment one is very dangerous, I believe, look at Nazi Germany, Mao's China and the Soviet Union which are some of the worst dictatorships on the face of the modern war, for the most part the right to own firearms was banned (besides the military). I agree with True Federalist on the Healthcare part. I feel like you got this information out of a Sanders speech or some Communist thing.

LGBT people can be discriminated against when it comes to being hired. They can be fired from their job for being gay. This, to me, is unacceptable and a constitutional amendment to protect them in the workplace is vital.

Through the First Amendment, yes, we are not a Christian nation. Conservatives don't get the memo as many of their talking points seems to imply they care more about Biblical law than Constitutional law. You have someone like Thomas who thinks that the federal government cannot establish a religion but the state can. In actuality, the Incorporation Doctrine means the Bill of Rights also applies to the states.

The death penalty is a lot more than just black and white what conservatives. People spend years on death row and are executed for crimes they did not commit. Executing an innocent person might be acceptable to you. It is not acceptable to me. Add in the fact that it's not fiscally responsible, not a deterrent and my belief that life without parole is a harsher punishment, I think we can live without it.

All I hear from conservatives in defense of the Second is that it's needed to protect yourselves from government tyranny. Really?

Where were the armed citizens under the Alien and Sedition Act with John Adams?

Where were the armed citizens when Lincoln suspended Habaes Corpus?

Where were the armed citizens when Wilson had the Sedition Act during his presidency?

Where were the armed citizens when FDR placed the Japanese in internment camps?

Where were the armed citizens when Bush 43 expanded government surveillance under the Patriot Act?

Where will the armed citizens be if wannabe war criminal Trump got his way and violated international law?

If healthcare is a right in other countries, I don't see why it can't be one here.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2016, 12:10:35 PM »

No death penalty

No second amendment

Healthcare is a right

LGBT people can be discriminated against when it comes to being hired. They can be fired from their job for being gay. This, to me, is unacceptable and a constitutional amendment to protect them in the workplace is vital.

Through the First Amendment, yes, we are not a Christian nation. Conservatives don't get the memo as many of their talking points seems to imply they care more about Biblical law than Constitutional law. You have someone like Thomas who thinks that the federal government cannot establish a religion but the state can. In actuality, the Incorporation Doctrine means the Bill of Rights also applies to the states.

The death penalty is a lot more than just black and white what conservatives. People spend years on death row and are executed for crimes they did not commit. Executing an innocent person might be acceptable to you. It is not acceptable to me. Add in the fact that it's not fiscally responsible, not a deterrent and my belief that life without parole is a harsher punishment, I think we can live without it.

All I hear from conservatives in defense of the Second is that it's needed to protect yourselves from government tyranny. Really?

Where were the armed citizens when Wilson had the Sedition Act during his presidency?

Where were the armed citizens when Bush 43 expanded government surveillance under the Patriot Act?

Where will the armed citizens be if wannabe war criminal Trump got his way and violated international law?

If healthcare is a right in other countries, I don't see why it can't be one here.
I agree that LGBT people shouldn't be discriminated against, I personally wouldn't but I don't think that people should be punished if they don't hire someone. But I also believe that people at FRC or Values Voters shouldn't have to hire LGBT people or pro-abortion people because it undermines their right of conscience. I think we both agree that a Jewish Group should be able to not hire a White Supremacist or Neo-Nazi.

I support Criminal Justice Reform, I think we should do a lot to reform our prisons, I agree with Senator Lee, Paul and Sanders on that issue. I didn't say that people that could be innocent should be killed. We should only kill people who are proven terrorists we can all agree that the Bombers were proven terrorists and I think they should be given the death penalty. But we shouldn't give lethal injection as it is too much money, I personally favor hanging or firing squad, because it is less money and more humane.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »

No death penalty

No second amendment

Healthcare is a right

I agree that LGBT people shouldn't be discriminated against, I personally wouldn't but I don't think that people should be punished if they don't hire someone. But I also believe that people at FRC or Values Voters shouldn't have to hire LGBT people or pro-abortion people because it undermines their right of conscience. I think we both agree that a Jewish Group should be able to not hire a White Supremacist or Neo-Nazi.

I support Criminal Justice Reform, I think we should do a lot to reform our prisons, I agree with Senator Lee, Paul and Sanders on that issue. I didn't say that people that could be innocent should be killed. We should only kill people who are proven terrorists we can all agree that the Bombers were proven terrorists and I think they should be given the death penalty. But we shouldn't give lethal injection as it is too much money, I personally favor hanging or firing squad, because it is less money and more humane.

A problem that I have with the death penalty is that people argue it's a deterrent. Executing terrorists does not stop the breeding of terrorists. Lock them up forever and make sure they never see the light of day again.

Should people be punished just because they don't hire someone? If such a person doesn't have the merits or skillset, then of course not. If, however, a local business should face consequences for turning away an otherwise qualified candidate just because of sexual orientation, that I do not agree with.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2016, 10:52:02 PM »

Setting the Supreme Court at a constant number. Likely 9. I see no reason to sway from 9.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2016, 11:14:30 PM »

Setting the Supreme Court at a constant number. Likely 9. I see no reason to sway from 9.

Adding to that, I also propose a timetable requiring a seat to be filled after it is vacant.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »

I see every reason to increase the size to thirteen, and to allow for that size to change as needed.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »

I see every reason to increase the size to thirteen, and to allow for that size to change as needed.

What are your reasons for 13?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2016, 12:10:08 PM »

No death penalty

No second amendment

Healthcare is a right

Well I'm happy to trump your whole 'dictators banned guns' argument with the fact that democracies in both Australia and the UK banned firearms after massacres, and saw a steep decline in them afterwards. Regardless considering the state of Germany pre-Hitler I'd hardly say that's a good argument for gun freedom- you had about 4 attempted coups!

There's also a marked difference between a christian bakery giving me a cake, and a Jewish group hiring a neo-nazi
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »

Here's what I'd lay out in terms of a Constitutional amendment for the Supreme Court.

Section 1: The Supreme Court shall be comprised of nine justices to determine the constitutionality of every law in which it reviews.

Section 2: In the event of death, retirement or removal from office via impeachment, the president shall not wait for a period exceeding 30 days to nominate a new justice for consideration.

Section 3: The Senate shall hear and vote on the nominated replacement, and shall wait no longer than 100 days to begin the procedure after the president has nominated someone.

Section 4: The vacancy shall not exceed a period longer than five months of when it became open.

Section 5: In the event the Senate does not confirm any presidential nomination, the president shall automatically appoint a judge during the next Congressional recess to serve along with the other justices up to 24 months. The Congress has the right to vote to confirm or ask the president for a new nominee at any time.

Section 6: The Congress shall have the power to enforce this amendment.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »

- Prohibition of the death penalty
- Nullification of the 2nd Amendment
- Mandatory retirement age for SCOTS and other federal judges
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2016, 11:30:20 PM »

What are your reasons for 13?
One per U.S. Circuit. Indeed, initially that's how the number of Supreme Court Justices was determined, but that link was lost when Congress shrank the Court from its then current size of 10 justices so as to deny Andrew Johnson the ability to nominate Justices to the Court. Having one circuit per justice appeals to me.
MM876
Rookie
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2016, 02:35:18 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2016, 03:00:38 AM by MM876 »

1. No war unless the U.S. is directly attacked or barring a 2/3 vote in both houses of Congress. This includes the wars that haven't actually been wars, like Afghanistan and Iraq.

2. Abolish judicial elections

3. Addition of Puerto Rico (providing they democratically allow for it) and the District of Columbia as states, with the congressional representation therein implied.

4.(This will never, ever, happen, but it's on my wishlist) Removal of the 2nd amendment.

5. Ending the death penalty.

6. Healthcare as a right.

7. Automatic registration of all citizens to vote

8. Term limits of 16 years for Supreme Court justices. In the event of a justice's death he/she is replaced by a nominee from the judiciary committee members of the party of whoever the president was who nominated the deceased justice. The replacement justice serves out the remainder of the deceased justice's term

9. Abolishing gerrymandering through impartial redistricting committees

10. Ending the standards by which treaties are U.S. law.

11. Corporate personhood is over, SuperPACs are illegal, and maximum contribution to a political campaign is $100 for the primary, and $100 for the general election. Every citizen gets a $100 tax credit for political donations, like they have in Oregon.

12. Minimum mandatory tax rate of 70% on marginal tax rates.

13. Maximum wages, although what amount I can't be certain of off the top of my head.

14. Abolition of the electoral college.

15. Abolish caucuses in primary elections, have mail in ballots in both the primaries and general in all states.

16. Mandatory voting in general election with a penalty of a small fine.

17. Instant-runoff voting in all elections, both statewide and federal.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »

Institute jungle federal primaries and end gerrymandering.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2016, 03:17:23 AM »

Revoke DC electoral votes and subject them to Maryland

Puerto Rico Statehood

All The Amendments in Mark Levin's The Liberty Amendments

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2016, 07:40:50 AM »

Abolition of "Right to Work" states

Abolition of Electoral College

Abolition of Voter ID laws

The language of the majority according to the census is made the official language

Healthcare as a fundamental right

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »

The language of the majority according to the census is made the official language

This is seems like an insanely round about way to make English the official language. Why not just pass a bill?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »

This is seems like an insanely round about way to make English the official language. Why not just pass a bill?

Or why not just leave things the way they are with English as the de facto official language? Polling on this question is hard to come by and unlikely to be reliable, but around 75% of the population can't speak anything else.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2016, 12:54:35 AM »

1. No war unless the U.S. is directly attacked or barring a 2/3 vote in both houses of Congress. This includes the wars that haven't actually been wars, like Afghanistan and Iraq.

2. Abolish judicial elections

3. Addition of Puerto Rico (providing they democratically allow for it) and the District of Columbia as states, with the congressional representation therein implied.

4.(This will never, ever, happen, but it's on my wishlist) Removal of the 2nd amendment.

5. Ending the death penalty.

6. Healthcare as a right.

7. Automatic registration of all citizens to vote

8. Term limits of 16 years for Supreme Court justices. In the event of a justice's death he/she is replaced by a nominee from the judiciary committee members of the party of whoever the president was who nominated the deceased justice. The replacement justice serves out the remainder of the deceased justice's term

9. Abolishing gerrymandering through impartial redistricting committees

10. Ending the standards by which treaties are U.S. law.

11. Corporate personhood is over, SuperPACs are illegal, and maximum contribution to a political campaign is $100 for the primary, and $100 for the general election. Every citizen gets a $100 tax credit for political donations, like they have in Oregon.

12. Minimum mandatory tax rate of 70% on marginal tax rates.

13. Maximum wages, although what amount I can't be certain of off the top of my head.

14. Abolition of the electoral college.

15. Abolish caucuses in primary elections, have mail in ballots in both the primaries and general in all states.

16. Mandatory voting in general election with a penalty of a small fine.

17. Instant-runoff voting in all elections, both statewide and federal.

1. I'm fine with this.
2. Not sure
3. Yes for Puerto Rico, DC returned to Maryland
4. Not gonna happen.
5. Both Old and New Testament give clear credence to the death penalty.
6. Keep government out of it
7. I'm open to this. But allow for ID to protect sanctity of the vote
8. There are similarities to the Liberty Amendments in this. Let's talk
9. If VRA districts are abolished as well. VRA districts are often the source of gerrymandering
10. Need to research this
11. Make the max 1,000$ and I'd support it
12.NO Income TAX
13. Market decides wages not government
14. NO!!! The Electoral College is part of preserving our Republic against absolute democracy (America is a Repubic)
15. Absolutely not. Let the states decide. (I'd go caucuses)
16. Government shouldn't be using financial threats to make citizens vote or having health insurance
17. Competition is good.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »

[quote author=JCL+GeologistJuly10Wedding link=topic=220152.msg5074930#msg5074930
5. Both Old and New Testament give clear credence to the death penalty.

[/quote]

So what? Insert generic passage highlighting stupidity in the bible
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies