If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:07:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14
Author Topic: If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be  (Read 69926 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »

-Life at Conception
-Marriage Protection Amendment
-RFRA-like Amendment
-Prohibition of income tax
-Clarification that the 4th Amendment doesn't apply to metadata, as it isn't a direct search
-Abolition of executive branch agencies, executive orders, and any presidential power not formally expressed in the Constitution
-Requiring all public-owned buildings to adopt a bathroom policy based on biological sex/gender at birth
-No international agencies can overrule US law

I don't think it would require an amendment, but I would like to see Title IX repealed as well.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2016, 10:49:38 PM »

Repealing the 2nd Amendment would be a good place to start.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:35 AM »

-Life at Conception
-Marriage Protection Amendment
-RFRA-like Amendment
-Prohibition of income tax
-Clarification that the 4th Amendment doesn't apply to metadata, as it isn't a direct search
-Abolition of executive branch agencies, executive orders, and any presidential power not formally expressed in the Constitution
-Requiring all public-owned buildings to adopt a bathroom policy based on biological sex/gender at birth
-No international agencies can overrule US law

I don't think it would require an amendment, but I would like to see Title IX repealed as well.

We get it, you're Extreme.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2016, 07:19:31 AM »

ERA, or abolish the EC.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2016, 09:06:29 AM »

Take corporate money out of politics
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »

a few amendments that come to mind at the moment, without delving into repealing existing ones:
-abolish electoral college and establish popular vote with IRV voting
-change senate terms to four years instead of six, giving each state the ability to vote in the senate every election (Class I in presidential years in all states, Class II in off years for all states--its always bugged me that in any given year 17 states have no say)
-abolish caucuses and fully closed primaries
-change the House to proportional representation (abolishing actual districts and just allocating that number of representatives to each state)

14. NO!!! The Electoral College is part of preserving our Republic against absolute democracy (America is a Repubic)

I never understood the "we're not a democracy, we're a republic" argument as any country with a president is a republic, be it a federal, direct democracy, dictatorship, etc. Democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive.

So you're ok with folks from one party being able to sabotage the other parties primary? I'm not. It's Democrats who crossed into Republican primaries and caucuses who foisted Trump on us.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »

a few amendments that come to mind at the moment, without delving into repealing existing ones:
-change senate terms to four years instead of six, giving each state the ability to vote in the senate every election (Class I in presidential years in all states, Class II in off years for all states--its always bugged me that in any given year 17 states have no say)
-change the House to proportional representation (abolishing actual districts and just allocating that number of representatives to each state)

14. NO!!! The Electoral College is part of preserving our Republic against absolute democracy (America is a Repubic)

I never understood the "we're not a democracy, we're a republic" argument as any country with a president is a republic, be it a federal, direct democracy, dictatorship, etc. Democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive.

So you're ok with folks from one party being able to sabotage the other parties primary? I'm not. It's Democrats who crossed into Republican primaries and caucuses who foisted Trump on us.

This is not even close to true.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2016, 12:33:20 PM »

Prove it
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »

Prove it

Not how assertions work, man. You asserted that large scale Democratic intrusion into the Republican primaries resulted in Trump's nomination. That's a positive assertion for which you've offered no proof. It's not on me to disprove a thing that popped out of your fever dream.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »

My number one legislative goal is to see a constitutional amendment get adopted which rewrites Section 1 of the 14th Amendment in order to make its meaning narrower and clearer.
I drafted such a proposal; it is long and detailed.
The most important part of my proposal is to take out this sentence from the 14th:
"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law, nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
I have written a set of detailed and much more specific rules to replace that sentence. Keeping this explanation very brief, states must still obey most of the right enumerated in the first eight amendments, but the Ninth is irrelevant to the state and unenforceable against them by the federal government. The Ninth only binds the powers of the federal government itself. States must not engage in discrimination against anyone on the basis of race, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, or disability status. States must continue respecting every citizens equal right to vote; gerrymandering will be prevented by requiring all redrawing of congressional district and state legislative district maps must be done by independent redistricting commissions. Scold the Supreme Court for its ruling in Bush v. Gore, telling the Court to never do anything like that ever again.
Numerous Supreme Court precedents would be overturned by this proposal, including Roe v. Wade, which I'm sure will be the most controversial part of what I am proposing. But the way I wrote it makes it quite clear why the Court should not have decided in favor of "abortion rights" in the first place.
A broad goal of this proposal is return a lot of law-making power to the states that the Supreme Court has usurped from them numerous times. It's based on my belief in states' powers -- I try not to use the term "states' rights" unless I am quoting someone else. The Supreme Court inappropriately has been deciding whether or not state/local laws are unconstitutional by deciding, abstractly, subjectively, when does a state not have a good enough reason to deprive someone of "liberty," or when does a state not have a good enough reason for treating people unequally. What constitutes "good enough" has been an ever-shifting goal post, and has been based purely on the subjective beliefs of the majority of Justices. I want to eliminate as much legislating from the bench as I can.
This proposal has elements that will be pleasing to conservatives and loathsome to liberals, while other elements will have the opposite effect. I purposely drafted it with the concept of a compromise in mind.
I have sent copies to certain members of the House Judiciary Committee and the Senate Judiciary Committee (sometimes "sent" means that I delivered it right to their Washington D.C. office in person). If Congress does not ever get around to proposing it, I also support the Convention of States Project.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 11:53:19 PM by ERM64man »

Ban Selective Service. Term limits of two for US Senate, six for US House, one 18 year term for the Supreme Court and all other federal judges. Balanced Budget Amendment. A real "right to privacy" amendment that upholds Lawrence v. Texas and protects against searches without a warrant. A marriage equality amendment. Equal Rights Amendment. Line-item veto. Amendment for recalling congressional members, president, VP, Supreme Court justices, and all other federal judges. Enshrining the Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, and Fair Housing Act in the US Constitution. Wolf PAC amendment. The proposed amendment that says: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States." Abolish the electoral college. Require nonpartisan independent redistricting commissions. Ban the death penalty. Ban eminent domain.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2016, 08:07:18 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2016, 01:56:17 PM by American2020 »

-repeal the 2nd amendment
-limits to campaigns financement
-Independant redistricting commissions
-US House representatives elected for 4 years, at the same time as the president
-Universal voting laws in federal elections (voter ID, same-day registration) : Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2017, 07:15:25 PM by MB »

I have a few (I'll list the text along with a TLDR):

"No person shall be required to perform any sort of national service, be it civil or military, during a time of peace or of war." – Bans the draft

"No educational institution receiving funding from the State shall restrict the right of students to the freedoms of speech, press, assembly, or religion, so long as they do not substantially interfere with the operation of the institutition." – Established freedom of speech in schools

"Electoral districts shall be contiguous and compact, shall take no factors, including voting trends or the demographics of the area into account, and shall not be drawn nor approved by elected officials." – Abolishes gerrymandering

"The freedom of movement in public areas shall not be restricted, except during times of emergency." – Abolishes curfew laws

"All jurisdictions under the administration of the United States shall be permitted to elect the President through a nationwide popular vote." – Abolishes the Electoral College and gives territories a say for President

"Jurisdictions under the administration of the United States that are not part of any state, including but not limited to, territories, districts, and commonwealths, shall receive representatives in the House of Representatives proportionate to population, and two Senators if the population is not less than one-fourth that of the least populous State." – Gives territories/DC representation in Congress

–Something about campaign finance but I can't come up with the exact words

"Any citizen of the United States who has resided in the country for at least fourteen years shall be eligible for election to the Presidency." – Abolishes the "natural born citizen" clause

"Congress or the President shall independently have the power to call referendums." – Establishes more direct democracy

"Justices of the Supreme Court shall serve no more than ten years." – Abolishes lifetime tenure on SCOTUS

There are some important issues to me, such as trade and healthcare, that I feel should be better left to law instead of the constitution.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2017, 07:22:06 PM »

"No person shall be required to perform any sort of national service, be it civil or military, during a time of peace or of war." – Bans the draft

"No educational institution receiving funding from the State shall restrict the right of students to the freedoms of speech, press, assembly, or religion, so long as they do not substantially interfere with the operation of the institutition." – Established freedom of speech in schools

"Electoral districts shall be contiguous and compact, shall take no factors, including voting trends or the demographics of the area into account, and shall not be drawn nor approved by elected officials." – Abolishes gerrymandering

"The freedom of movement in public areas shall not be restricted, except during times of emergency." – Abolishes curfew laws

"All jurisdictions under the administration of the United States shall be permitted to elect the President through a nationwide popular vote." – Abolishes the Electoral College and gives territories a say for President

"Jurisdictions under the administration of the United States that are not part of any state, including but not limited to, territories, districts, and commonwealths, shall receive representatives in the House of Representatives proportionate to population, and two Senators if the population is not less than one-fourth that of the least populous State." – Gives territories/DC representation in Congress

"Any citizen of the United States who has resided in the country for at least fourteen years shall be eligible for election to the Presidency." – Abolishes the "natural born citizen" clause

"Congress or the President shall independently have the power to call referendums." – Establishes more direct democracy

"Justices of the Supreme Court shall serve no more than ten years." – Abolishes lifetime tenure on SCOTUS

There are some important issues to me, such as trade and healthcare, that I feel should be better left to law instead of the constitution.

You got an amazing set
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »

You got an amazing set

Yeah, this is amazing.

I'd take that, and add:

Give DC home rule
End citizens United
End the 2nd amendment
Give the right to organize, effectively repealing Taft-Hartley
Make election day a federal holiday, ban voter ID laws, and enforce 7 days early voting in every state
Replace the Senate with a proportional body
Establish MMP for the House

I have a laundry list that could keep going, but as MB said, some things are better off as law rather than as part of the constitution.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2017, 01:59:01 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2017, 02:11:58 AM by darklordoftech »

- Ban civil forfeiture
- Require that the House add representatives as the population grows.
- Ban "we'll deny the states funds unless..." legislation.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »

Term Limits (12 Yrs per house)
Line-Item Veto Amendment
Balanced Budget Amendment
Continuity of government Amendment (mass causality event, emergency house appoinments, emergency temp SCOTUS appointments, emergency quorum)
Treaty Loophole (Bricker) Amendment

New ideas:

-Presidential Term Limits (A single 6 year term)
-Eminent domain reform (overturning kelo)
-Floor privileges in congress for cabinet officers
-Definition of "commerce among the states" (overturning wickard)
-Removing the "punishment" exception to the 13th amendment
-4th amendment expansion (change "papers and effects" to "files and property", incorporate exclusionary rule)
-Explicitly ban religious tests for state office
-Clarify "privileges and immunities"(Overturning slaughterhouse cases)
-DC gets a Congress Person
-State limitations update (change "gold or silver" to "currency of the united states")
-pirate law reform (add "or on aircraft" after "high seas")
-2nd amendment clarification (delete prefratory clause, add "All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property, their state and country, and for other traditional lawful purposes")
-New right (freedom of movement)
-new right ("peaceably assemble or associate for lawful purposes")
-new right ("speech or thought")
- mechanism for state repeal of fed laws (2/3rds)
-14th amendment clarification  (delete sec. 3)
-preamble fun (add "evoking the favor of almighty God", remove "general welfare")
-17th amendment reform (state legislature chooses at last session before term expires, citizens can recall)
- Art.1, sec.4 reform  (modern spelling of "choose", add "times and" before "places of choosing")
- Art. 1, sec 8, cl 1 reform (modern spelling of "defense", replace "general welfare" with "carry on the government")
- Art. 1, sec 8, cl 5 reform (add "print or" before "coin money")
- postal reform (require self sufficiency after 5 years of passage)
- non-delegation (limit the lawmaking powers of admin agencies)
- environmental powers  (explicitly empower congress to regulate certain hazardous air and water pollution)
-prison powers (explicitly empower congress to construct and adminster prisons for federal criminals)
-land powers (explicitly empower congress to acquire new territory)
- art. 1, sec 8, cl 13 (add "or air and space force")
- mechanism for secession (2/3rds of legislature, 3/5ths of people in state for 1 yr or more, debt settlement commission, resettlement rights, rules for compensating people who choose to move to us rather than leave, rules for infrastructure)
-habeas clarification  (renew a suspension every 90 days, congress can overturn presidents declaration)
- treasury report (change "time to time" to "annually")
- titles of nobility (add "knightships" to things banned to congres people)
- 3rd amendment reform (also ban law enforcement)
-grand juries (change "capital or infamous crime" to "felony or crime where imprisonment is available")
-6th amendment reform (Add "unless expressly waived by the accused" at the beginning
-7th amendment reform (increase 20 to 500)
-art. 1, sec 10, cl 10 reform (delete "emit bills of credit")
-12th amendment reform  (3 highest vote getters for vice prez)
-commander in chief reform (add "air and space force)
- chief executive reform (prez can fire any fed employee at will if a report on it is sent to congress)
- recess appointment reform (no appoint a previously rejected nominee)
-art 2, sec 2, cl. 3 reform (change "he" to "the president")
-standing reform (allow congress to request an advisory opinion on the constitutionality of a fed law from SCOTUS with a 2/3 vote)
- art 3 jury reform (allow accused to expressly waive)
- ex post facto reform (prohibit retroactive civil penalties, partially overturning calder v bull)
- art 4, sec. 3, cl 3 reform (explicitly include federal lands as property)
-right of revolution (add "Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2017, 05:49:13 AM »

-Presidential Term Limits (ONE 6-year term)
-Abolish Birthright Citizenship for people not born of at least one US Citizen parent
-Supreme Court Term Limits (ONE 10-year term)
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »

- end to draft
- end to civil fortitude
- The Congress or the President has the right to call a nationwide referendum to decide a policy
(I.E. Gay Marriage)
- End to citizens united and extreme campaign finance reform
- Formation of the States of Washington DC and Puerto Rico and allow for proportional representation
- end to life long status of US justices (15 Years)
- formation of a nationwide proportional representational system
- end to gerrymandering and unlawful representational districts
- renewed voters right act allowing for fullest voter participation as possible
- End to any government Mandated curfew unless in times of war or extreme crisis
- Reaffirming of Freedom of Speech and the right to protest
- Election Day made a national holiday
- Right for people to protest unlawful acts in times of war and not be of fear of arrestment
banning the remanants of the sedition and espionage acts and other laws which prohibit this form of protest
- Right to private information and banning of mass scale government surveillance done by body's like the NSA
- End of the Federal Reserve in form of more democratic systems of banking
- Heavy fines to illegal outsourcing of American jobs in favor of foreign jobs
- Some form of a Workers Right Amendment ensuring the American employees rights in regard to the owner
- Reform of the Electoral College into a more democratic and representational system
-  End to Congressional and Executive Privilege and Corporate Privilege forcing everyone to follow the same laws.
- End to Government Shutdowns
- Term limits for Senators and Representatives
- End to the 22nd amendment
- Form a new system of federalism and a new definition of the rights of Individual states going into the 21st century
- Right to Die in cases of terminal death
There are some more but these are the major ones
NapoleoncorinII
Rookie
United States

« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »

Ammendment 32: The practice of abortion shall be banned within the United States.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »

Ammendment 32: The practice of abortion shall be banned within the United States.

what are amendments 28-31 then?
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2017, 07:33:21 PM »

Pass an amendment requiring a 3/5 (or possibly even 2/3) vote in the U.S. Senate to invoke cloture on a motion.  Nix the "nuclear option" once and for all, and protect the Senate's status as  the world's greatest deliberative body.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2017, 07:19:41 PM by Solid4096 »

We also need an amendment to prevent police from effectively being able to put themselves above the law, and also abolish Capital Punishment, and remove the crime exception from the 13th amendment, and overturn the 2nd amendment, and to ban the military draft.

We also need an amendment to ensure universal voting rights, and automatic voter registration, and institute an NPV vote for president, expand the size of the House of Representative, prevent gerrymandering, replace the Senate with something less anti-proportional, and require all candidate to release most information on their tax returns to the public to appear on the ballot (allow them to redact certain sensitive information like their SSN though), and give DC full voting rights, and make all election IRV.

We also need an amendment to overturn citizens united, and ban all taxes except the estate tax, income tax, property tax, and corporate tax, overturn Taft-Hartley, and re-instate Glass-Stegal, and ensure that health care is government subsidized in the form of a single payer system.

We also need an amendment to ensure complete equality of all people regardless of any factors, whether it be biological gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, etc.

We also need an amendment to abolish private/charter schools, and abolish corporal punishment (all forms), and to have all college tuition government funded.

Not Federal, but every State could use an amendment to make state legislature jobs full time; both in the aspects of work schedule and pay; to prevent the situation that people will need other very high paying jobs or otherwise independently wealthy to be able to run for state legislature; and also reduce the possibilities of conflicts of interests.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2017, 08:11:48 PM »

A repeal of the Second Amendment.

Only active duty army and active duty police (and you could argue the latter) should be allowed to have guns. We don't need militias anymore.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »

A repeal of the Second Amendment.

Only active duty army and active duty police (and you could argue the latter) should be allowed to have guns. We don't need militias anymore.
And what exactly happens to the hundreds of millions of firearms currently in the USA? And the millions of people who'd rather be shot defending their guns than have them taken away?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies