Democratic presidential candidate issue poll economy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:41:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic presidential candidate issue poll economy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Regardless of voter intention which of the following candidates should handle the economy the best
Lincoln Chafee

Hillary Clinton

Martin O Malley

Bernie Sanders

Jim Webb

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Democratic presidential candidate issue poll economy  (Read 1697 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:59:25 PM »

In the coming months I will be doing polls one which candidates would Handle certain issues the best first up the Economy
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »

Ugh, Webb or Hillary maybe? Sanders in last definitely
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »

Sanders without a doubt.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 01:34:33 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 01:37:59 AM by eric82oslo »

It's a tie between Clinton and Sanders. If Sanders was effective and managed to increase the minimum wage to 15 dollars, or anywhere near that for that matter, plus increased taxes on the rich heaps and heaps, simultaneously with reducing taxes on the poor, then I would definitely say Sanders. Also, if he managed to steer money from the military industrial complex to other parts of the economy like technology, infrastructure, green energy, education, health care, construction and so on, he would give the economy a boost like almost never seen before.

If, on the other hand, he wasn't able to be effective, then I would definitely have to say Clinton.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 03:21:45 AM »

Lincoln Chafee.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:51:16 AM »

All of them would be pretty mediocre, like most Democrats. But mediocre is of course better than godawful, so they trump all the Republicans as well. I would say Sanders who I am idealogically closest to, were it not for his protectionist stances and opposition to TARP (not that the Wall-Stret Bailouts were perfect, but they were really the least worst option)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:31:27 AM »

Sanders easily.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:04 AM »

umphursmcgur
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »

At some point it wouldn't be a Sanders-like shift, but economically we have become so entrenched in neoliberal policies that someone like Sanders is badly needed to offset the last few decades.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »

At some point it wouldn't be a Sanders-like shift, but economically we have become so entrenched in neoliberal policies that someone like Sanders is badly needed to offset the last few decades.

Does that imply Sanders isn't a "neoliberal"?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »

I don't know, but I voted for Chafee, he might work best with a Republican Congress.
umphursmcgur
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 12:40:11 PM »

Does he seem like one to you?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »

Yes. Or at least he's running a neoliberal campaign, at least, based around concepts like "we should be more like Europe" or "I'm basically like Eisenhower as far as tax is concerned". I mean it's nice and all, but it hardly challenges the neoliberal consensus in a meaningful way. (Opposition to free trade, of course, being a meaningless and stupid struggle)

I don't know, but I voted for Chafee, he might work best with a Republican Congress.

Don't count on it. He's a turncoat - nothing is worse to most decent partisan minded people than somebody who can't even make up what party he is in.
umphursmcgur
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »

Yes. Or at least he's running a neoliberal campaign, at least, based around concepts like "we should be more like Europe" or "I'm basically like Eisenhower as far as tax is concerned". I mean it's nice and all, but it hardly challenges the neoliberal consensus in a meaningful way. (Opposition to free trade, of course, being a meaningless and stupid struggle)

Universal healthcare and college tuition, higher minimum wage, more taxes on the wealthy, breaking up big banks.  I'm not saying he's going to dismantle neoliberalism, but he is trying to take a step away from that sort of deep entanglement we have with the concept now which has lead to such income inequality.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »

Yeah, yeah. It's not like any of that is radically different from the DNC's platform. (Aside from the bank-breaking, I accept)
umphursmcgur
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »

I can't see Clinton or O'Malley taking honest steps to do serious campaign finance reform.  Or make serious moves on any of those areas, if Obama is anything to go by.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »

Surely the only thing that can recitify campaign finance - repealing citizens United via amending the constitutional - would be largely impossible under any administration, considering the House is almost certain to remain GOP, the Senate will probably be deadlocked and most state legislatures are ensnared by Republicans?

I feel there is a certain honesty to the mainstream politician's desire to do something on campaign finance. After all, most politicians find constant fundraising an irritating waste of their time. But in a hyper polarised world is it likely that anything meaningful will be done about the issue?
umphursmcgur
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »

Perhaps.  I think this issue is bipartisan among the population.  If you could tap into that, borderline impossible as it may be.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies