Kelly Gissendaner Executed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:12:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kelly Gissendaner Executed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you agree?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Kelly Gissendaner Executed  (Read 4152 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2015, 06:06:19 AM »

I haven't seen a thread on this yet, but there might be one.

Anyway:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/29/us/georgia-execution-kelly-gissendaner/

She was the first woman executed in Georgia for seventy years and the sixteenth woman executed in the United States since the death penalty was reestablished in 1976.

Thoughts?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:15:53 AM »

I'm pro death penalty, but it's sh**t like this that push me towards the other side.

edit-the question is a bit odd though.  Are we agreeing she was executed?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 06:36:40 AM »

Really, this shouldn't be charged with death penalty, but she is a horrible person, anyways. She should spend around 10-15 years in prison, and be charged with manslaughter?, I don't know how criminal law.

I'm pro-death penalty and have no sympathy for the woman, it was excessive and morally wrong to kill her. Also, what happened to the person that killed the man?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:47:37 AM »

It's all so arbitrary isn't it? Who gets the death penalty and who doesn't is such a slapdash process that it is pretty much impossible for it to function as a deterrent.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:54:45 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 07:16:09 AM by Marokai Besieged »

It's all so arbitrary isn't it? Who gets the death penalty and who doesn't is such a slapdash process that it is pretty much impossible for it to function as a deterrent.

Isn't the point of a deterrent to scare people, basically? I would say that the arbitrariness of who does and doesn't get the death penalty adds to the theoretical deterrence, if, of course, I believed it functioned well as a deterrent at all.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:15:32 AM »

I personally believe the death penalty is wrong, I have no exceptions to that rule.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:20:16 AM »

This is all really weird for me because her daughter was a high school classmate of mine.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »

If we're to have the death penalty, then this is exactly the sort of case it should be used in. Just because she got someone else to do the physical deed does not make her any less guilty of premeditated murder. If it didn't, then by that logic Hitler didn't personally kill any Roma, so he shouldn't be held responsible for the Porajmos.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »

i have no problem with the death penalty being legal and i think she was a rotten person with no remorse. At the same time, the people closest to her (her children) have forgiven her and they should have respected that wish.

I think the "victim's rights" movement is a racket since the DA/Judge will only listen to the victim if it involves a harsher penalty (though I'd rather get the DP then spend years in solitary).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »

If we're to have the death penalty, then this is exactly the sort of case it should be used in. Just because she got someone else to do the physical deed does not make her any less guilty of premeditated murder. If it didn't, then by that logic Hitler didn't personally kill any Roma, so he shouldn't be held responsible for the Porajmos.

Are you drunk? You're comparing her to a dictator who had actual political and judicial power and decisions over life and death. You're comparing her to f-cking Hitler. What 'power' did she have to 'make' her boyfriend kill her husband? He also escaped the death penalty by testifying against her.

Yet you think executing a woman who didn't actually kill someone herself is 'exactly the sort of case' that the death penalty should be used in? Go home.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 12:00:22 PM »

Yet you think executing a woman who didn't actually kill someone herself is 'exactly the sort of case' that the death penalty should be used in? Go home.

I don't support the death penalty in any case because of how many wrong convictions there are.

Having said that I witnessed a close friend of mine go through a divorce.  The pain of watching the poor guy sit at home night after night wondering who was boning his wife was pretty bad.  I couldn't imagine if she then turned around and had the guy kill my friend.  That to me is far worse than some sixteen year old poor black kid who never had a chance in life shooting a cop during the course of a robbery.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »

Sounds like an appropriate capital case.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »

That's a shame. Almost as bad as the Oklahoma case from the other week, but at least that was temporarily halted. What is with these southron prosecutors? Do they not understand the law or is the law written so stupidly that people who don't even physically kill someone are killed themselves. (Not that anyone should be killed by the state of course, but the south is hard to control.)

It's obviously the latter primarily, but the entire court system, especially down there, continues to be a mockery of justice.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »

What 'power' did she have to 'make' her boyfriend kill her husband?

What plays, poetry, or books do you read?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »

You can be convicted of murder for telling someone else to commit it? Shouldn't that be a different category of crime?

The US criminal system continues to be an utter disaster.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »

You can be convicted of murder for telling someone else to commit it? Shouldn't that be a different category of crime?

For me it's not even that. She's clearly guilty not withstanding the categorisation. It's the fact she gets executed and the person who killed doesn't despite being found guilty. It's absurd.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »

For me it's not even that. She's clearly guilty not withstanding the categorisation. It's the fact she gets executed and the person who killed doesn't despite being found guilty. It's absurd.

Whaaat? Huh Were they tried separately or by the same jury?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 01:46:18 PM »

Capital punishment has so many flaws, not just in theory, but also in practice.
It is revenge, other arguments are questionable to say the least. There is therefore,
no strictly logical reason for it. I can understand the anger and the desire for revenge, but
is revenge, speaking purely logically, an ethical position?
It is often cruel and unusual, as well.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »

An embarrassing mockery of justice. Something like this would absolutely happen in some godforsaken third world country which we would claim moral authority over or something. Awful.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 02:42:44 PM »

In 1972 existing death penalty laws were struck down as arbitrary and new ones, upheld in 1976, were supposed to be free of arbitrariness. Didn't work, unsurprisingly.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »

I don't remember any death penalty case discussed on this forum where you wouldn't think it was appropriate.

This case is hardly "appropriate", given that the actual killer didn't receive the death penalty. Disproportion in sentencing was a ground for a number of commutations since 1976.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 03:09:52 PM »

Meanwhile in Oklahoma, the state is preparing to kill Richard Glossip, a man who damn well may be innocent. The police told the guy who killed his boss that they'd take the death penalty off the table if he implicated someone else. So he said his coworker paid him to do it. Glossip was convicted solely on the testimony of that guy, and Mary Fallin refuses to even commute his sentence to life without parole.

I don't care if I get death points for this, but Mary Fallin is a cold-hearted bitch who now has blood on her hands. Whatever happened to "Better that 10 guilty men go free than one innocent man suffer?"
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »

This is all really weird for me because her daughter was a high school classmate of mine.

Small world...

Was this before or after the mother was imprisoned?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 03:20:19 PM »

I don't remember any death penalty case discussed on this forum where you wouldn't think it was appropriate.

This case is hardly "appropriate", given that the actual killer didn't receive the death penalty. Disproportion in sentencing was a ground for a number of commutations since 1976.

The mastermind, if you will, is always the highest target for District Attorneys.......
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 03:59:03 PM »

The mastermind, if you will, is always the highest target for District Attorneys.......

That doesn't make it less arbitrary and disproportionate.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies