Kim Davis Met Secretly with Pope Francis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:19:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kim Davis Met Secretly with Pope Francis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kim Davis Met Secretly with Pope Francis  (Read 5367 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 04:38:31 AM »

What kind of respect would a Oneness Pentecostal have for the sitting Pope?

I figure most conservative Evangelicals in the U.S. couldn't give two cents to what Pope Francis had to say on anything; he wasted his time. 

For now, at least, we have no idea what was said or even why the visit took place. Some conclusions are obvious, of course, but none of them tell us anything new.

That said, the expectations that some people have of Pope Francis are so out there relative to where the Church is that it's endearing. The idea of a belief system that sincerely opposes (certain forms of) social exclusion, environmental degradation, consumer culture, and so on while simultaneously barring women from positions of authority and rebuking gay marriage should not be so shocking. The contrast with the troglodytic, self-absorbed, sex-crazed style of religious conservatism that dominates cultural conversations in the United States is stark. Oh well.

Very true, and good point that Catholic Doctrine is an entirely different system of thought from the usual American Religious Conservatism. For me, the odd thing is that Kim Davis, an Apostolic Pentecostal, would want to meet Pope Francis. Someone of her theological orientation would be more likely to view the head of the Catholic Church as false prophet at best, and the actual Anti-Christ at worst.

Your perception of evangelicalism is out of date. There has been a major shift in attitudes towards Catholicism since the sexual revolution.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:34 AM »

Not a Catholic, so I honestly don't care what the Pope says. As far as I'm concerned, he's just another man.

Unless you're an athiest, you should have respect to religious leaders, whatever region they may be from.

Why, exactly?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 08:41:59 AM »

78 year old virgin and thrice-divorced woman meet to complain about married people, more at 11.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »

I'd be very surprised if Francis is a virgin based on his pre-priesthood life and the fact that Latin American priests are notorious for not adhering to celibacy.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 09:02:29 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2015, 09:48:40 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

What kind of respect would a Oneness Pentecostal have for the sitting Pope?

I figure most conservative Evangelicals in the U.S. couldn't give two cents to what Pope Francis had to say on anything; he wasted his time.  

For now, at least, we have no idea what was said or even why the visit took place. Some conclusions are obvious, of course, but none of them tell us anything new.

That said, the expectations that some people have of Pope Francis are so out there relative to where the Church is that it's endearing. The idea of a belief system that sincerely opposes (certain forms of) social exclusion, environmental degradation, consumer culture, and so on while simultaneously barring women from positions of authority and rebuking gay marriage should not be so shocking. The contrast with the troglodytic, self-absorbed, sex-crazed style of religious conservatism that dominates cultural conversations in the United States is stark. Oh well.

Very true, and good point that Catholic Doctrine is an entirely different system of thought from the usual American Religious Conservatism. For me, the odd thing is that Kim Davis, an Apostolic Pentecostal, would want to meet Pope Francis. Someone of her theological orientation would be more likely to view the head of the Catholic Church as false prophet at best, and the actual Anti-Christ at worst.

Your perception of evangelicalism is out of date. There has been a major shift in attitudes towards Catholicism since the sexual revolution.

The fringier Evangelicals are still Anti-Catholic, they're just less vocal about it.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 10:08:03 AM »

Not a Catholic, so I honestly don't care what the Pope says. As far as I'm concerned, he's just another man.

Unless you're an athirst, you should have respect to religious leaders, whatever region they may be from.

But I am an athirst!

Spelling mistake.

And I think the Mediterranean region is a fine one to ignore.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »

The Pope has met lots of sinners, of whom she is first.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 11:37:09 AM »

Unless you're an athiest, you should have respect to religious leaders, whatever region they may be from.

Why, exactly?

I echo this question.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 11:39:35 AM »

You know, there are plenty of religious people that doesn't hold religious institutions in particular respect.

And, btw, you still got an "atheist" wrong.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »

Giving people unearned 'respect' results in an abuse of power. We should be more critical of authority, whether it's the Pope with his 'power' and Kim Davis with hers.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »

I mean, I don't really know what the Dalai Lama's done, but if I met him, I'd probably regard him with a modicum of respect. Maybe that's just my inner-Christian (read: slave morality) speaking, but hey, whatever. I'll be Nixon bothered to be kind to Mao when they met. Life ain't objectivity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 07:51:08 PM »

Roll Eyes
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »

Vatican says that the Pope did not give unconditional support to Kim Davis.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »

The famous Vatican 'walk back' again Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »

She was invited by a third party as part of a larger group, Francis probably didn't even know who she was, The knee jerk outrage can probably be saved for something else.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »

An Evangelical Christian lying? Never in my wildest Updates.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 03:42:46 PM by realisticidealist »

Yeah, this story is nonsense blown out of proportion of Davis's PR folks to get her attention.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »

Yeah, I was going to post that the Pope also secretly met with a gay couple the day before.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2015, 02:00:06 AM »

Yeah, this story is nonsense blown out of proportion of Davis's PR folks to get her attention.

This smells of internal Papal politics. Conservatives sneak her in the meeting to show Francis is still a traditionalist at heart. Reformers release the "this doesn't mean His Holiness supports her" press release. The Pope has to delegate management of trips and travelling more than the POTUS, and this bares the marks of a behind the scene power jockey.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »

This smells of internal Papal politics. Conservatives sneak her in the meeting to show Francis is still a traditionalist at heart. Reformers release the "this doesn't mean His Holiness supports her" press release. The Pope has to delegate management of trips and travelling more than the POTUS, and this bares the marks of a behind the scene power jockey.
I was going to complain you used the wrong homophone, but on second thought I realized both bears and bares are applicable here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »

Hopefully some conservative heads roll and Francis appoints a couple of nice, liberal Jesuits in their place.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »

The famous Vatican 'walk back' again Smiley

Yeah, it's totally a walk-back.

Or he never gave unconditional support in the first place and everything after the story first broke was just a knee-jerk reaction by people who had something to prove.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies